Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very likely moving to FL

Wife was offered a job at the hospital next to The Villages, and I’m being flown back for a second round of interviews for either an outpatient education/outreach position or one in the hospital...basically they want me, it’s just to show me another option.

Ive fished Deaton, Miona, Harris Chain, Panasoffkee, Weir, and Ocklawaha before. Love something about each of them!

Got a few questions:
    1. Is Panasoffkee still overrun with vegetation? Years ago, it was hardly navigable until well out into main lake. If it’s still pretty choked, I’ll be picking up a punching rod, lol

2. There was some kind of concrete pipe, maybe a large rock, that ran across the short canal close to the ramp at Deaton. Is that still there? Or has the water level come up enough that boats float over it? Last I fished it was about 10 years ago, and most of the lakes were pretty low.

3. Anybody familiar with Moss Bluff launch on Ocklawaha? The vultures used to come in at daybreak to gather in trees near the park/ramp and destroy anything rubber on vehicles at the ramp. Did they ever move on or get chased out?

My apologies in advance for being another car on your roads. Wife is from FL. Her parents live in Viera, and her sister and their family live in Cocoa. This puts us a lot closer to some family, and an easy plane commute for my parents to see their only grandson. They might even become nuisance snowbirds, but will likely live in their RV
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

Sounds like a neat gig! You'll be in another non-income tax state, but it'll be warmer than Tennessee. Sorry I can't help with the answers to your questions, but just wanted to say congrats.

3. Member
    You're close enough to Butler Chain (Windermere, excellent offshore fishing) and Toho too.

sorry I don't have the answers to your questions but give the Tsala Apopka chain a shot. Just a tad further than Pan. Welcome to Florida And, don't say your sorry for being another car on the road, this still is America and those that think that different are, well, morons.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZ View Post
    sorry I don't have the answers to your questions but give the Tsala Apopka chain a shot. Just a tad further than Pan. Welcome to Florida And, don't say your sorry for being another car on the road, this still is America and those that think that different are, well, morons.

I just know how *some* people bristle up at the idea of yet another transplant, lol
    -David Daye

6. Member
    1. There is a lot of Eel grass you can navigate the lake taking good bags to win nowadays

2. Havent been there but 1 time i dont know about the pipe the water is up in this part of Florida right now.

3. Familiar with Lock i have only been from the river however.

There are lots of lakes to fish around you, My biggest issue now is FWC destroying anything green and in the water.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

Don't leave out Orange Lake..........

Welcome to Florida. Just keep it as quiet as you can. Lake county is growing much too fast IMHO but, it's still great living here (Mount Dora).
    Ray K.
    Mount Dora, FL

2012 Nitro Z7
    150 Merc Pro Xs
    Atlas Hydraulic JP
    Power Pole 10 ft Blades
    Minn Kota Ulterra 80 lb.
    Dual Consoles
    Lowrance HDS 8 & 5

[IMG][/IMG]

9. Banned
    You 'may' run into a Swinger™ or 5 as TheVillages™ is rife w/"them" Some even play Golf and go with the designee "Swinger Squared"... On the Golf Course (there are a couple out there) instead of yelling "FORE!!" They yell "SIXTY NINE" except for Morty Goldstein the Tax Attorney, He yells "3.98" but He is a 'cheap screw'...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtlgator View Post
    Don't leave out Orange Lake..........
    Back when I had family in the area, I think Orange Lake was dried up. Is that memory correct?
    -David Daye

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    You 'may' run into a Swinger™ or 5 as TheVillages™ is rife w/"them" Some even play Golf and go with the designee "Swinger Squared"... On the Golf Course (there are a couple out there) instead of yelling "FORE!!" They yell "SIXTY NINE" except for Morty Goldstein the Tax Attorney, He yells "3.98" but He is a 'cheap screw'...
    I went to one of the town squares one night during first visit for interviews. Lots and lots of singles out there looking for somebody to dance with - literally and figuratively. I'm sure the $5 doubles that are a little heavy on the pour being 20 paces from the outdoor dance floor help on both fronts. Until Richard and Willy have one too many whiskeys
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    Back when I had family in the area, I think Orange Lake was dried up. Is that memory correct?
    Yes, back in late 2010-11 it went from over 12,000 acres down to about 1200-1500 if I remember correctly but since has come back with huge fish being taken ....

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtlgator View Post
    Yes, back in late 2010-11 it went from over 12,000 acres down to about 1200-1500 if I remember correctly but since has come back with huge fish being taken ....
    Nice to hear. Was it simply related to drought or was there some kind of leak like from a sinkhole?
    Ex-wife's parents lived on a retention pond, about 75' x 600', maybe 7ft deep down the center of it. Sinkhole drained that thing in less than 48hrs.

Anyways, the southeast corner among all those little islands looks like it could be a lot of fun to fish
    -David Daye

Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    Nice to hear. Was it simply related to drought or was there some kind of leak like from a sinkhole?
    Ex-wife's parents lived on a retention pond, about 75' x 600', maybe 7ft deep down the center of it. Sinkhole drained that thing in less than 48hrs.

Anyways, the southeast corner among all those little islands looks like it could be a lot of fun to fish
    There is a sink hole that is active near one of the boat ramps but as long as our water table is stable the level there does not fluctuate much, back then we had a drought last for about 13- 15 months, rainey season never happened. Before that Orange was one of the best bass lakes not only Florida but in the US and is coming back to that status again. Big girls hang out in the pads for the most......

15. Member
    Buzzards are like snow birds they are migratory and they show up every winter. There is nothing you can do about it!!
    Seriously , they are migratory and when they roost at a ramp there is nothing you can do but find another ramp where they are not. They are federally protected so you can't harm or harass them. They roost along the water because its a few degrees warmer at night.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

16. Member
    Offer on a home in Oxford was accepted this evening. Plan is to close in 45 days, then be able to start moving some things down. Can’t wait for all this transition to be over with!
    -David Daye

17. Member
    Congrats. My wife and I are looking at new homes between Ocala and Leesburg. We looked in the Oxford area and liked it. You aren't that far from the Harris Chain, Lake Panasoffkee, the Inverness and Hernando lakes on the Tsala Apopka Chain, Lake Weir or Orange Lake. That area is growing and growing, you will have everything you need near by. Hopefully the county keeps up with the road construction.
    Brad Krone

I live on Lake Weir. Fish them all.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    Congrats. My wife and I are looking at new homes between Ocala and Leesburg. We looked in the Oxford area and liked it. You aren't that far from the Harris Chain, Lake Panasoffkee, the Inverness and Hernando lakes on the Tsala Apopka Chain, Lake Weir or Orange Lake. That area is growing and growing, you will have everything you need near by. Hopefully the county keeps up with the road construction.
    I don't know if you want 'country club' kind of living, but a place worth investigating is Harbor Hills. They have a nice concrete boat launch for residents only.

EDIT: forgot to include that Harbor Hills is in Lady Lake, and is next to Lake Griffin
    -David Daye

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    You aren't that far from the Harris Chain, Lake Panasoffkee, the Inverness and Hernando lakes on the Tsala Apopka Chain, Lake Weir or Orange Lake. That area is growing and growing, you will have everything you need near by. Hopefully the county keeps up with the road construction.
    I'd also add Lake Deaton on 44 between Lake Harris and 75

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast