2002 225 EFI Intermittently slow to get on plane

Don't know where to start really, except I am puzzled. Local merc shop can't find the problem. I can change plugs when boat won't or has trouble getting on plane, and will run great for 3 days then intermittently starts having trouble getting on plane again. Sometimes I can hear a miss, other times no miss, just bogs down. When it finally comes up on plane rpms top out at 5000. When running right wot is around 5800 rpms at about 70 mph. Its like it is in protection mode. Except I can change plugs and problem solved for 3 trips to lake. Could reeds be the problem causing the plugs to foul out? Because when I change the plugs both bottom plugs are wet with gas. This motor is on a 2002 tr20 bass boat, single console no power poles, 3 batteries, not overloaded. Plugs pulled on prop. Any help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    if it only turns 5000 now and used to turn 5800 deff something wrong , yes reed could be problem, check all basics first , and look at pulse pump diaphragm for tears
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Mr Joe ;
    I was putting some gas in boat today and noticed the O ring in the gas cap was broken. I will get new O ring and replace it. I hope this is the answer to the problem i have been having. Will update after it is replaced and run a couple of days.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you have further problems, suggest opening a thread in the 3.0L Forum (two forums down the list).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor