1996 150 Intruder issue

My engine model is 150GLEDB, and the serial is Q (I think) 04143514.

I am having an issue where my motor stalls after coming out of the fast idle (quick start) and it is very difficult to get started again. I will start the motor after launching, to let it warm up, and then park my truck. It starts fine, goes into fast idle, but when I get back to my truck, it will have died. After it shuts off it doesn't want to start at all. Sometime it will fire for a brief second and then stall. Once I get it started, it runs normal, makes full power, great hole shot, idles at about 900rpm etc. If I leave the motor off for a few hours while fishing, the whole stall scenario repeats itself. I have replaced the carb bowls and gaskets last year, plugs are a year old. The sinc and link looks good. I am at a loss. I have a trip to Leech lake coming up in two weeks, and I am afraid this thing isn't going to start when I need it to. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You didn't do the vapor tank and gasket or the vapor pump on the fuel bracket did you?

3. Member
    Did you do any work on the motor and then this started? Do you think the motor could be flooded when it won't start?

4. Member
    I haven't done either of those things Championman. 316jughead: I didn't do anything to the motor prior to this starting and it definitely acts like its flooded after I try to start it. Would it be flooding itself? When I did the carbs last season, I left the floats alone because I wasn't having any issues other than leaking from the BBs. I did do a de-carb at the beginning of this season. Last year, right at the end of the year, I noticed that after fishing for awhile, the motor wouldn't start on one crank like usual. Could that be related? The main fuel line and and bulb where also new last year as well as water separating fuel filter. Thanks.

5. Member
    Check your primer solenoid, the red lever should be pointing to the bottom of the solenoid. So easy to move doing a decarb.

6. Member
    The red lever is good. Is it supposed to turn real easy?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You didn't do the vapor tank and gasket or the vapor pump on the fuel bracket did you?
    This is a very good idea you should do this. Is that idle rpm in the water and in gear? The lever turns fairly easy. Check for voltage at the primer solenoid with the ignition key in the on position, you should have none.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 09-07-2019 at 10:06 PM.

8. Member
    Going to do all these things. The idle RPM is in the water in neutral. I believe the rpms drop to about 700 idling in forward gear. Thanks again. I will post my results. Any chance someone has an oem part number for the vapor tank? Do I replace the entire fuel bracket? Found the pump .
    Last edited by peteV; 09-08-2019 at 06:40 AM.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

10. Member
    Thanks. Parts are on the way.

11. Member
    I just wanted to update this in case someone else has a similar issue. The culprit ended up being the power pack. It turns out that that the quick start feature wasn't functioning like it should causing my issue. I do think that vapor separator components were also on their way out because after I changed them it changed the idle condition drastically. I then took the boat to a professional where he diagnosed the power pack. The thing runs awesome now, and it sounds so much smoother. Thanks again to jughead and championman for your help.

12. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar