Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Repower question

Just like hydroplane with his 175. I blew my 2004 xr6 last week. I had no plans on replacing it until this point. I have a ProCraft 192 Super pro. The 150 hp motor was rigged on the boat bought new. The boat is rated up to 200 hp.
    My questions are these. Would the new 4 stroke 150 or pro xs be considered underpowered. Would the 200 pro xs be as fuel efficient as the 150 being underpowered ? In my retirement years the need for speed has waned some. The xr6 was dogged down with extra person or 2 and gas ,equipment. Tough to get on plane determined by conditions. What type of fuel savings would I see coming from a carbureted 150 xr6. I don't plan on selling the boat. I am very comfortable in. Thanks for any replies in advance.

2. Member
    Yes, underpowered.
    The 200 pro xs (2 or 4 stroke) will be more efficient on gas than your carb motor. Just a guess, the pro xs will use half as much gas or better.

3. Member
    have a new 200 pro xs on a 2000 20 ft nitro fish ski. sips fuel. frequently get 6+mpg around 30 mph burns like 11gph at 50 mph. and I'm a heavy setup . talon 2 livewells 5 batteries 2 chargers.windhields . too much tackle.

power to spare on holeshot with 24 bravo. even with 5 on board still no problem pulling a tube.
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

4. Member
    So the theory would be..... you are burning more fuel
    with a underpowered motor trying to perform a larger motors task that would do it more efficiently ?

5. Member
    Yes.

6. Member
    Thank you for the replies, been a long time since looking at outboards. And hopefully a longer time before having to look again

7. Member
    Well, to make matters worse, It may take a LOONG time to get a new 200 Merc, too...lead time is really long...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

8. Member
    I was comparing the carb motor with the opti or 4 stroke. If you are comparing a 150 opti or 4 stroke with the same in a 200, not much difference. The bigger motor will not use more. But, you definitely want the motor sized to maximum rated horsepower.

9. Member
    OP, I sent PM

10. Member
    Thanks, pm answered

11. Member
    I repowered TR-18 Triton from XR6 150 to 150 HP 4/stroke.........finest thing I have ever done for myself and my fishing. Get max rated HP for boat in 4 stroke. You will not regret doing it!

12. Member
    Sorry your XR6 cratered. Going forward I would repower with a 200 4 stroke if you are going with Merc. It would be the pinnacle but you will have warranty and the best chance for the best performance.
    GETFISHED !!!

13. Member
    Thank you for all your responses, And your experience .Will be looking for the 200

14. Member
    I have 3.6 hours on my 2019 1504s pro, still in break i mode ran thu 10 gallons in fuel....i think ive gone deaf...as i can hardly tell the darn thing is running !

15. Member
    Hahaha, well I heard that

I think even with the 200 you see better fuel economy that the old carbed motor. From what I understand, they were quite thirsty. If you were not happy with the old 150, you won't be with the new one I suspect. I'd go V8 200 if it was me and the money was right. Bassmaster did a think several years ago where the took an 18 foot boat and ran it with a 115 and a 150. They record fuel usage with the 115 and WOT and then recorded with the 150 going the same speed. Fuel economy was better with the 150. With a bigger motor, you can always throttle back and cruise but you can't only push it forward so far with a smaller motor.

Good luck finding one though.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Definitely go with the 200 (and I'd recommend the ProXS Fourstroke). Not only will it perform better, and likely require less fuel to do the same task, you will simply AVOID the "50 HP Itch" that follows a few months later.

Trust me- that itch is WAY less expensive to scratch NOW (as compared to 6 months after you get a new motor).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    Thank you guys for all the input. Now the hard part is getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohio View Post
    Just like hydroplane with his 175. I blew my 2004 xr6 last week. I had no plans on replacing it until this point. I have a ProCraft 192 Super pro. The 150 hp motor was rigged on the boat bought new. The boat is rated up to 200 hp.
    My questions are these. Would the new 4 stroke 150 or pro xs be considered underpowered. Would the 200 pro xs be as fuel efficient as the 150 being underpowered ? In my retirement years the need for speed has waned some. The xr6 was dogged down with extra person or 2 and gas ,equipment. Tough to get on plane determined by conditions. What type of fuel savings would I see coming from a carbureted 150 xr6. I don't plan on selling the boat. I am very comfortable in. Thanks for any replies in advance.
    I'd go with the new 175 ProXS. Better value and less weight than the V8 200 ProXS. Compared to your tired XR, it will be a beast. We would need more info on prop and setup on the boat, but should be way better with the new 175. Your ProCraft is a small boat, 18'6, and the V8 will be too much weight on it. I'd even say the new 150 ProXS is a good option, and if set up right would perform well.

20. Member
    Well, I am hoping I solved my dilemma of my xr6 blowing a head and not being able to get the new 200 4 stroke. After checking dealer ships including
    Jacos who had the best price by far, keeping my old controls. But no date of being able to get one. I am having a new DF200A Zuke installed with all new controls. Including taking out all gauges replacing with black plugs. Removing the in dash flasher with a Suzuki 4" multi function gauge. And ethernet to my hds9. Fitted ss prop for my boat, 6 yr warranty , and they didn't act like they was doing me a favor ! For 2 G's less than Jayco. I am a little bothered with Mercury right now because, I have had 3 new boats and loved having a Merc on all 3. American made and proud of it ! But to introduce a new product that is almost impossible to get, Unless you buy a New Boat $$$ is not caring about there customers ! I own 2 Ford vehicles, pay my taxes, served our country and fly our flag everyday proudly at my house. But I will be dammed if I am going to sit here because bad planning or greed ! I won't be racing any one to my hole ( I think ??) But I know I will have a dependable motor with 6 yr warranty. I would like to thank everyone for there input . And hope all your Mercs get you there and back..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast