DF250SS Z9 prop question

I’m scheduled to pickup my boat on Friday. I’m starting out with a 14.5” 30P 4 blade on a DF250SS on a 2013 Nitro Z9. I’ve been questioning my dealer if that big prop is going to preform correctly on my boat. Has anyone had experience with a prop that size on a bass boat? Any advice to give me when I take it for my first test run?
    2013 Nitro Z-9
    2019 Suzuki DF250SS
    MinnKota Ultrex iPilot Link
    Humminbird Solix SI 10 & 12
    Lowrance Carbon 12’s

2. Member
    Dont know how close to your boat this is, but they ran a 14.5 x 30 on it...

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...Boat%20DF250SS

Few other similar bassboats listed on the Suzuki page showing prop details etc, could be worth a look?

3. Member
    I own this setup and prop. Never made it to the high side of 70 with this setup.

4. Member
    I would ask for a 27P and go from there, especially if using the current Suzuki 4 bladed props. The previous boat tests you see were done about 10 years ago were probably done when Suzuki was using rebranded Turbo OT4 props. Personally, I'd ask for an OT4 prop which has a smaller barrel and taller rakes. Even though the smaller barrel looks funny and might require a blow out ring, my 250SS takes off and runs better with the OT4 style prop (without the blow out ring) vice any of the current Suzuki props.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

5. Member
    I run a TR21X3 with a 250ss Suzuki and my Hull is heavy like yours. Right now I’m running a 27p scorpion 3 blade prop. So far it is performed very well this summer. I have seen 67.7 in the summer heat with it. I had a 28p Suzuki OT4 prop on it but too much pitch when loaded.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

6. Member
    I'm pretty sure that 250 will run, but I wonder the motivation for buying a Suzuki 4 stroke and then looking for top speed comparable to other brand 250's.
    It's kind of a gimmee, they will beat us on top end, maybe even pull us out of the hole. Our strong point is we will get back to the launch point a much larger percent of the time on time, not on a tow rope from ingesting compressor parts or ventilating the block with a broken or loose connecting rod.
    That and being able to hold a conversation with our partner while cruising among other things.
    Not to say we shouldn't try to optimize the performance, and the propeller is a critical connection between the water and our motors. It's good we have this forum to hear and get feedback on prop selection, the darn things aren't cheap and knowledge is power.

7. Member
    Looks like Suzuki would have done things for better prop selection. I kinda wish I would have bought something else now!

8. Member
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. Some people also had good luck with some of Mark Croxton's props and you can run the Mercury Bravo One series props with a hub kit and achieve good results as well.

Would I like more top end sure. But when I weigh out how awesome my hole shot is along with the mid range torque I now have when I am dealing with big water the difference is negligible at best. Most of the time we run our boats between 3000 and 4500 RPM and having great response in that range far outweighs the few times we get to use WOT.

I also heard Suzuki is working on improved prop selections. Fingers crossed for that to develop. I hope it doesn't take years but as with all big corporations plans often run long term.

10. Member
    I have a 2018 Phoenix 921 with a Suzuki 250 SS. Have been running the suzuki prop, 14.5 x 28. Performs excellent, just a little light on the top end. 67 Tops. I am considering trying a Solas Scorpion 28 3 blade on the advice of an Elite Pro who has been running the same setup with a Solas Scorpion 27 3 blade. My reason for wanting to try the Solas is financial. Those dang Suzuki props are pricey.

11. Member
    I suggest you-all check eBay occasionally for Suzuki props. Sometimes they come up less expensively. I bought a new Suzuki SS 4 blade 28 pitch for about $200, got lucky and bought a bunch of SS 3 blade 23.5 x 16 " diameters for $50 each delivered.
    Keep your eyes open.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-Stai...wAAOSwOplddttu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-P...IAAOSwGFZcwiLA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-X-28P-QU...UAAOSwyZZcw7tG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-STAI...IAAOSwZV5c7uSE

Solar yamaha prop 25p
    Last edited by billnorman1; 09-19-2019 at 08:30 PM.

12. Member
    I run a 28 14.5 4 blade. I could use a 28.5 or 29 in the cool temps. I have it on a procraft 210 super pro

13. Member
    I run a 28 14.5 4 blade. I could use a 28.5 or 29 in the cool temps. I have it on a procraft 210 super pro

14. Member
    Thanks for all of the input guys. I ended up with a 26 Fury, still going though the break in period but did open it up one time and got 68 on GPS. The motor is so quiet you hardly even know if its running.
    2013 Nitro Z-9
    2019 Suzuki DF250SS
    Lowrance Carbon 12’s

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottnacworth View Post
    Thanks for all of the input guys. I ended up with a 26 Fury, still going though the break in period but did open it up one time and got 68 on GPS. The motor is so quiet you hardly even know if its running.
    Are you running a Fury 3 or Fury 4 bladed prop?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    Are you running a Fury 3 or Fury 4 bladed prop?
    3 blade
    2013 Nitro Z-9
    2019 Suzuki DF250SS
    Lowrance Carbon 12’s

17. Member
    How many RPMS was you turning at 68 with the 26 fury?
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

18. Member
    Update: Motor is done with break in period and I can’t be happier with my purchase.
    Today ran 68 at 5900 RPM’s with a 3 blade 26 Fury, 3/4 tank of gas, and full tournament load. Another great thing is it doesn’t seem to be burning even half the gas as my old 2 stroke.
    2013 Nitro Z-9
    2019 Suzuki DF250SS
    Lowrance Carbon 12’s

19. Member
    Update: Motor is done with break in period and I can’t be happier with my purchase.
    Today ran 68 at 5900 RPM’s with a 3 blade 26 Fury, 3/4 tank of gas, and full tournament load. Another great thing is it doesn’t seem to be burning even half the gas as my old 2 stroke.
    That, and no expensive 2 stroke oil. You still have some reserve RPM. Each boat seems to have a different prop requirement. If you could borrow a larger prop some time you could see how your boat responds if you wish.