Fishing is a Passion

Bucket List-Cruising Alaska

Leaving 5am tomorrow. Flying into Seattle, Cruise leaves 4pm Friday, gets back the following Saturday. My wife and brother talked me into a Helicopter ride at one of the ports. Not so sure about that. Ports of call- Juneau, Skagway, Endicott Arm, Dawes Glacier and finally Victoria British Columbia. Probably will not sleep at all tonight.

Anyone else been to Alaska
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

We did the White Pass Rail Tour out of Skagway. If you have any extra time in Seattle go see the Chihuly Garden and Glass next to the Space Needle.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

3. Member
    Brother just got back two weeks ago loved it.

4. Member
    Just got back a few weeks ago. I flew into Anchorage and then drove out to Homer for 3 days of halibut and salmon fishing. I got to see a pod of Orcas up close. Amazing trip. The glaciers are extremely impressive, make sure you get an aerial view of them. Plane/helicopter tours are worth it. I heard some even land on top of the glacier so you can get out and walk around on it, I wish I did that.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by dk239 View Post
    We did the White Pass Rail Tour out of Skagway. If you have any extra time in Seattle go see the Chihuly Garden and Glass next to the Space Needle.
    Definitely go to Chihuly. I had never heard of his work before we went there last year but it was worth it. Butchart Gardens in Victoria was worth a stop. Whale watching in Juneau was also great.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

Just curious, what ship?
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

7. Member
    You’ll enjoy it.....we did the train trip through Alaska also......Denali was awesome
    Polish Power

8. Member
    Got back two weeks ago. Spent a week on a houseboat off the Yukon fly fishing for pike. Life changer

9. Member
    It definitely is on my bucket list as well but I don't think it will ever happen. Enjoy!!!
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

10. Banned
    You will love it. We did it in 2011 from Seattle, up the inside passage to all the ports you mentioned. I strongly suggest you don't leave your hotel if staying in Seattle, it's a absolute dump which is a shame because it could be a beautiful town. Regarding the helicopter ride, we flew out and landed on a glacier and got to walk around for about an hour...stunning, just don't fall in a crevasse. Alaska ia an awesome place to visit. If you get a chance try zip lining. I think it was in Juneau if I remember correctly. At one point we were 180' above the trees! Enjoy!

11. Member
    We went in June of last year. Great trip. We did a whale watching trip in Junea that was amazing. Lots of whales and orcas. I don’t know if the timing works for that with this time of year or not. The views thought the trip are spectacular! Enjoy.

12. Member
    Got back from just about the same cruise as the op. Out of Seattle, we went to Tracy Arm Fjord,Juneau, Skegway, Ketchikan, Victoria BC,and back to Seattle. The wife and I had a great time as did the other three couples we went with. Lots to do on the ship as well as ashore. We did the Lumber jack show, and walked Creek street in Ketchikan. Skegway, we went on the White pass railroad tour.Tracy Arm Fjord, we went on a sight seeing boat trip to see the glaciers.Juneau we went on a whale watching tour, and saw a bunch of Bald Eagles every where. There is lots of stuff to do and your cruise should have people set up to help you do what you to. Just walking around the port towns is kinda neat but gets old pretty quick. Lots of the same things at all the ports, mostly jewelry stores and clothing, but some neat stuff to be seen if you look hard enough. In Seattle check out the down town area with the fish markets and stores, and go eat at Biscuit Bitch for a different meal. Also the space needle. Have a great time.

13. Member
    Got back from just about the same cruise as the op. Out of Seattle, we went to Tracy Arm Fjord,Juneau, Skegway, Ketchikan, Victoria BC,and back to Seattle. The wife and I had a great time as did the other three couples we went with. Lots to do on the ship as well as ashore. We did the Lumber jack show, and walked Creek street in Ketchikan. Skegway, we went on the White pass railroad tour.Tracy Arm Fjord, we went on a sight seeing boat trip to see the glaciers.Juneau we went on a whale watching tour, and saw a bunch of Bald Eagles every where. Victoria BC we did a pedicab ride of the city. the guides were great and we really enjoyed it. We got there late and only had a few hours in port so it worked out great. There is lots of stuff to do and your cruise should have people set up to help you do what you to. Just walking around the port towns is kinda neat but gets old pretty quick. Lots of the same things at all the ports, mostly jewelry stores and clothing, but some neat stuff to be seen if you look hard enough. In Seattle check out the down town area with the fish markets and stores, and go eat at Biscuit Bitch for a different meal. Also the space needle. Have a great time.

Did the inside passage August 2018. Weather was rough the week we were on the boat (super windy), and missed a couple of ports because they couldn't dock in the wind (45-60mph through the straights). Nature attractions were big for me, but there is plenty of other stuff to do. We did pretty much everything we could - glaciers, whale watching, lumberjack show, etc. Spent a few days in Seattle too, which was great too - space needle, Chihuly, public market to name a few.
    Scott
    Stratos 285XL

15. Member
    I spent 2 years in Alaska courtesy of uncle Sam.
    You and your family will absolutely love your cruise. Beautiful mountains and skys this time of year. Cool but not real cold. See everything you can and take lots of pictures. You will want to re live life through those pictures.
    I hope ya'll have a great time!
    Go Gators!

16. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    My Mom and Step-dad went back in 1985. They raved about it. I think they went to most of the places mentioned above. Highly recommended !

The helicopter ride at Juneau was great. Up to the glacier. You can drink the melt water right off the ice. I did then we flew back upnthe glacier to see the dog sled training camp and all the little yellow spots on the ice, upstream from where I drank.
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.