Question for the painters

on an older bait your wanting to paint over do you try and take the old paint off or just paint over whats there?
    got some old wiggle warts that the paint isn't very good on any more and some the finish is flaking on should I try and get all the old stuff off these and if so what's the best way to do it with out messing the bait up.

I just scuff the paint up with a Scotch-Brite pad.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

If its a bait that is balance sensitive such as a jerkbait, smaller bait or certain topwaters etc you might want to get as much old paint off as possible. Might help it perform better when repainted.

4. Member
    I sand blast mine before painting to remove old paint. You can also soak in windex for several days and then rub/scrape old paint off. Or, just scuff and paint over old paint. If you use windex, sometimes the clear part of the bill will discolor. You can rub acetone and restore the clear look. Rinse well with water after acetone.

5. Member
    I usually try to scuff with 400 grit wet/dry paperand paint. If I need to remove the paintentirely, I use acetone and then wash well with dish soap and water. Realize that acetone will eventually ruin thebait, so don't leave it in the soup for too long. Some people put the bait in asmall jar (butter dish) and spray some brake fluid on the bait. Shake it every now and then. After a day or two, wash it off with dishsoap and water. Would try it with a baitthat won't make you cry if it dies.