Shelbyville bass ?

How is the bass fishing on Shelbyville? Certain places or times of the year to avoid?

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Been taking 16-18 lbs. to win a tourney even in August which is pretty good.

Dale Sinclair original

3. Member
    For me August and September have been tough . Usually the late summer thing makes the shallower fish bite a little better . Supposedly the lack of oxygen in the deeper water makes the deep bite slow down . For some reason when this happens the shallow bite picks up a little . If you are looking to go in the near future I would wait until October for the fall bite to start . If it has to be now I think there might still be some weeds in the water if the lake level hasn't dropped too much. This is all from past experiences as I haven't been there in more than a year.

4. Member
    Thank you both! It won't be anytime soon, have too get the boat put back together first. Just getting a feel for what's going on there. Haven't seen much posted about it.

5. Member
    I'm not looking for tips but I know its not any secret where they sink the fish structures...you can find it on-line. Anybody ever fish those or are they always covered up by other people that know they are there? Also, any luck with bass on them?
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

6. Member
    Winner89 - no replies, to your question???? Most likely people are fishing them, just staying quiet about it. You'll get a better response to that question on crappie.com .

7. Proud American Union local16's Avatar

Dale Sinclair original

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Winner89 - no replies, to your question???? Most likely people are fishing them, just staying quiet about it. You'll get a better response to that question on crappie.com .
    Yeah I’m not upset about it. I know most of those structures are more crappie friendly but we all know bass really like structure too. I was just curious how guys did for bass around them. I’ll give them a shot when I get a chance to get up there. Love dropping a plastic worm in brush!
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

9. Member
    Bingo! That’s where I found them at.
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

10. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I crappie fish a couple on the north end in the winter but have never bass fished any. There is a ton of off shore deep brush piles that will always be much better for bass and crappie. I've spent many winter days when the lake is drawn down to winter pool, finding and marking piles. I have fished both rivers that make up Shelbyville since before the lake was there and still struggle to find bass at times. most guys quit bass and crappie fishing at Shelbyville way to early in the fall and miss the best bite of the year.

Dale Sinclair original

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    I crappie fish a couple on the north end in the winter but have never bass fished any. There is a ton of off shore deep brush piles that will always be much better for bass and crappie. I've spent many winter days when the lake is drawn down to winter pool, finding and marking piles. I have fished both rivers that make up Shelbyville since before the lake was there and still struggle to find bass at times. most guys quit bass and crappie fishing at Shelbyville way to early in the fall and miss the best bite of the year.
    I hear you! Coming up when its at winter pool and marking a bunch of stuff would be a really good idea! When do they normally get it drawn down to winter pool?
    Wes Smith
    1999 Ranger 519 DVS
    2011 RAM 1500

12. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Mid December as a rule. 594 is the best level but watch where you run if not familiar with an area. Good luck

Dale Sinclair original