Trolling motor help

Is there anyone who works on trolling motors? I have a Motor Guide Pro Series 70lbs that went out on me this weekend. I my plan is to replace this coming spring but I was hoping for this one to get me through the fall. I've lost the steering in it. The motor itself still runs fine but the foot pedal has all but locked up and if I turn the motor by hand there is grinding up in and around the head.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    He's a little bit of a drive for you, but Dave Smoot in Lexington is one of the best in the business. Hitech Outdoors (formerly bass n gas) in Benton used to work on trolling motors as well and they do great work.

3. Member
    If you're around Kentucky Lake I can look at it, I work on MotorGuide. My number is 270-703-6257

4. Member
    I highly recommend Dave Smoot!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by equalizersmm View Post
    If you're around Kentucky Lake I can look at it, I work on MotorGuide. My number is 270-703-6257
    Monte has always helped me out!

6. Member
    I have the same problem. I hit a huge wake and have all the symptoms except my foot pedal is not locked. I am going to be with my boat this weekend and try to check the head unit. Apparently i might have a gear out of place of the cable might be off. I will let you know if i have any success with the DIY plan.
    2013 Lowe FM165 WT
    90hp Mercury Optimax
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 106sv
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 93sv

7. Member
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

I especially want to thank Monte Morris for hooking me up and getting me back up and running. Got down to his place little before 5 on Friday evening and he had me fixed up and on my way before 6. Super nice guy, very knowledgeable, had the parts I needed on hand. I had a great experience chatting about fishing and watching him work, all while picking up a few tips for the future.

So if anyone is having issue with their Motorguide give Monte a call. You won't regret it.

270-703-6257 Monte Morris

8. Member
    Thanks guys, glad I could help you. Monte