Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Your choice for dream fishing October lakes in the Southeast

That time of year again guys. I know there are threads like this before, so lets do another one.

The wife and I prefer to take a Sept/Oct fall fishing trip. Being in Atlanta we can go N-S-E-W but prefer not to stay local as we hit the area lakes already. We also prefer not to go south because it's warmer. THAT SAID, we've not done the central FL chains and certainly have them on the list, but would need to know what fishing is like down there that time of year.... and if they're awesome then, you bet we'll GO! *Just thinking a Spring trip down there might be more in the books.*

We DO NOT do hotels, not interested in going to a ramp every morning. We MUST be able to rent a home on the lake, with a private dock and make a vacation of it. We go for a minimum of 7~11 days, and can extend if the fishing is hot. On a big lake (like Hartwell for instance), we'll rent 2 homes and move in the middle so as to cut down on running the lake, just to get to be able to cover more, see more.

Figured we'd have to push more towards October this year being as we've been caught in hurricanes moving through in Sept that REALLY put a hurt on the vacation. Got trapped in a cabin 2 years ago during a hurricane for 3 days and couldn't get out!

I'd really like to hit a bucket mouth spot this time around and make it more exciting. Then again, we've not done the Coosa spots yet either. We've not been doing this for years and years like the rest of you guys so our list of covered lakes, as well as PB isn't off the charts. Would be nice to haul in a few big'uns for the record books! The wife has never caught one over 5#, so the thoughts of breaking that record that would be pretty doggone cool. Being as it was HER idea to buy a bass boat a few years back (after losing her folks unexpectedly), I am both a lucky man, to have paid cash for both the new truck and the (what I call) 21' tackle box with a 250 strapped to the back, and very VERY blessed that we can share this time together and remember what it was like to grow up fishing with our dads.

We don't travel anymore because I've had multiple back & neck surgeries. But we fish whenever we can. This time of year is our anniversary getaway, 42 years this year.... and it's a good thing to make something special of it. Might not fish all day every day, but we'll be out there at sunrise through lunch, and back again before dark till whenever, never know with my back like it is, so if there are local things to see and do, that's a bonus, and of course something to be considered.
    Like I said, I'm a blessed man, especially to have her take care of me like she does!

Wouldn't mind hiring a local guide if it's a good striper lake while we're there, his boat or ours. Be nice to have some hawgs and fillets to cook while we're there.

With that in mind... what say you this time around? We're open to suggestions. And thanks in advance guys, this ol' cripple don't get around like he used to.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

My vote is for Lake Jordan. Here are some lakeside cabins. https://www.vrbo.com/search/keywords...Included=false

3. Banned
    Make a two day pull stay on the St Lawrence or that too far?

4. Member
    Keowee and Jocassee. Lots of homes on Keowee to rent; easy trip up to Jocassee!

5. Member
    If you can wait until mid October or so, Lake Chatuge, just up the road from you, would get my vote.
    We have a condo there (perm home is Dalton, GA) and it's a good place to unwind, fish, and enjoy the season change.

I have a house on Sinclair near Milledgeville Ga. and on my street there is a nice house that the owner rents , it has a dock and pretty yard , the fishing is good around October , mostly bass , crappie but you can catch a load of catfish from the dock . I think it rents for $200 a day but that time of year and if you stay a week you can get a great deal .

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Fork with a side trip to Texoma for stripers.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lsufan334 View Post
    My vote is for Lake Jordan. Here are some lakeside cabins. https://www.vrbo.com/search/keywords...Included=false
    That could be an option for sure. Not too big (a bit bigger than the closest to us, Jackson), and in a week could easily cover it all.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdawg View Post
    Make a two day pull stay on the St Lawrence or that too far?
    Yeah that's a bit far, 2 days each way would really cut into things.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keoweeskeeter View Post
    Keowee and Jocassee. Lots of homes on Keowee to rent; easy trip up to Jocassee!
    I gotta' say, Jocassee is on the list for sure! You're not the first to suggest it. Although I've been told there is literally NOTHING up that way (other than the State Park). The descriptions, water clarity etc seem amazing. Sorta like Carters lake, just a LOT bigger.

We've done Hartwell some, (that's where we got stuck for 3 days, 25 miles up the Tugaloo). But haven't done Keowee. Thinking that may indeed be on the short list as we could do both in the same trip.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

11. Member
    Jordan is as good as it gets in the fall for early morning, night fishing. Sept and Oct moon on Jordan with a blade, you can't beat it.
    Mitchell is really fun in late Sept and into Oct for fishing below the dam. Get up early, fish the morning bite, get some breakfast, go to the dam and fish the current. It's pretty safe up there, no major hidden obstacles like the other dams (excluding Jordan).
    Martin is also really good in the fall. Good morning bite, good bite during the day. You'll catch so many, you won't feel guilty keeping a few spots and filleting them up to eat. May catch some stripers too.

Guntersville rat fishing, need I say more.
    Joey Aderhold

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by printman71 View Post
    If you can wait until mid October or so, Lake Chatuge, just up the road from you, would get my vote.
    We have a condo there (perm home is Dalton, GA) and it's a good place to unwind, fish, and enjoy the season change.

I think Chatuge would fall in the group with Jocasee. Both mountain lakes, both different than what we normally fish.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    I have a house on Sinclair near Milledgeville Ga. and on my street there is a nice house that the owner rents , it has a dock and pretty yard , the fishing is good around October , mostly bass , crappie but you can catch a load of catfish from the dock . I think it rents for $200 a day but that time of year and if you stay a week you can get a great deal .

Yeah we fish Jackson, Sinclair and Oconee most weekends. Just have to dodge the 497 tourneys that tend to show up there.

I find it puzzling how Oconee was built as a millionaire mansion hangout, yet has the dumbest, rattiest, cheapest looking boat docks I've EVER seen. I mean WHO thought putting ONLY canvas covers on boat docks was a good thing?

Actually like fishing Sinclair a LOT better than Oconee. Smaller lake, but fishes bigger, lots of twists and turns. And WAAAAAY better boat docks! Heheheee

The bite on both though have been rough once it got hot. We're in Henry County, so they're about 80 minutes out at zero dark thirty. Here lately with the heat we just pop down to Jackson and put in while its dark, and back home by 11:00. Was talking to the neighbor last night (to see if he had a bore scope to check my reeds) and he saw us coming home a couple weeks ago, said it was just after breakfast, surely we had forgot something and were still going to the lake.

Is your neighbor out there on VRBO/Home Away? It's just me and the wife.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Jordan is as good as it gets in the fall for early morning, night fishing. Sept and Oct moon on Jordan with a blade, you can't beat it.
    Mitchell is really fun in late Sept and into Oct for fishing below the dam. Get up early, fish the morning bite, get some breakfast, go to the dam and fish the current. It's pretty safe up there, no major hidden obstacles like the other dams (excluding Jordan).
    Martin is also really good in the fall. Good morning bite, good bite during the day. You'll catch so many, you won't feel guilty keeping a few spots and filleting them up to eat. May catch some stripers too.

Guntersville rat fishing, need I say more.
    Thanks Joey, that's the kind of info I need! That's 2 votes for Jordan. Hmmmmmmm…..
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    Yeah we fish Jackson, Sinclair and Oconee most weekends. Just have to dodge the 497 tourneys that tend to show up there.

I find it puzzling how Oconee was built as a millionaire mansion hangout, yet has the dumbest, rattiest, cheapest looking boat docks I've EVER seen. I mean WHO thought putting ONLY canvas covers on boat docks was a good thing?

Actually like fishing Sinclair a LOT better than Oconee. Smaller lake, but fishes bigger, lots of twists and turns. And WAAAAAY better boat docks! Heheheee

The bite on both though have been rough once it got hot. We're in Henry County, so they're about 80 minutes out at zero dark thirty. Here lately with the heat we just pop down to Jackson and put in while its dark, and back home by 11:00. Was talking to the neighbor last night (to see if he had a bore scope to check my reeds) and he saw us coming home a couple weeks ago, said it was just after breakfast, surely we had forgot something and were still going to the lake.

Yes its been tuff in the last 2 months heat , yes the house is on there it's on Commodore Dr. And I bet it very reasonable in the winter , that's my favorite time to fish Sinclair . I'm from Fayetteville so we are close to Henery co . I should have said its not really a dream trip but its a good lake .

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post

Sinclair has been rough this summer. 2 weeks ago we came in 3rd out of 23 boats with 2 fish for 6lbs. Nobody had a limit. 1st Place was 11lbs but they had a 6.99 kicker caught on a Whopper Plopper early on schooling fish.
    1997 Triton Tr-21
    1999 Johnson 225HO

17. Member
    Guntersville, Pickwick, Chickamauga, Watts Bar, Nickajack, Seminole, Santee Cooper, or Eufala would all be good Largemouth Lakes. Chatuge is a great lake to fish but I wouldn't consider it a 7-11 day destination lake. It has great fishing but I would not want go go there for that length of time. If I were in your shoes I would pick one of the lakes I listed that you haven't fished and go there. Any of those lakes should be within a days drive of you and you will be on one of the premier lakes in the saoutheast for Largemouth. If you go to Chickamauga you could fish Watts Bar and Nickijack while you are there. Honestly I think Watts Bar and Nickijack are going to continue getting better until they catch Chickamauga if they haven't already.
    2020 Caymas CX20

18. Member
    Lewis Smith Lake is great fall spotted bass lake normally with some schooling action and a great topwater bite if you time it right. Lake will be in drawdown so ski boats and jet skis will be mostly gone. Lots of rentals on the lake.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stepup View Post
    Guntersville, Pickwick, Chickamauga, Watts Bar, Nickajack, Seminole, Santee Cooper, or Eufala would all be good Largemouth Lakes. Chatuge is a great lake to fish but I wouldn't consider it a 7-11 day destination lake. It has great fishing but I would not want go go there for that length of time. If I were in your shoes I would pick one of the lakes I listed that you haven't fished and go there. Any of those lakes should be within a days drive of you and you will be on one of the premier lakes in the saoutheast for Largemouth. If you go to Chickamauga you could fish Watts Bar and Nickijack while you are there. Honestly I think Watts Bar and Nickijack are going to continue getting better until they catch Chickamauga if they haven't already.

Agreed... and several of those are on our list. Oddly enough... the gentleman that owned my boat (
    before he passed away
    ) fished Pickwick & KY regularly. Lived outside Memphis. His son is a Sheriff out in Beaufort SC so towed it there where I found it. The maps were still in the boat when I bought it actually.

Guess part of the question would be at what point does it cool off enough to start the fall bite at Eufala for instance. I'm seriously considering Chick/Watts Bar though as we missed it last year because of (yet another) back surgery. Hard to find a decent home to rent on Chick though. There's the 3 fishing cabins that are always available, but private homes sometimes are hit or miss. Think I need to go to TVA and check the drawdown schedule as I've found some before, but the docks were out of the water.

Of course being around here, you know going north is beautiful in the fall. That is of course part of the process. I am so blessed that the *wife* was the one that said we were getting a bass boat,
    and gave me the cash to pay for it!
    So PART of my trip planning is always focused on a little more than just being in the boat at sunrise.
    IE: Other things to see, do, going out for dinner etc...
    Last edited by Dixie Chicken; 09-05-2019 at 05:22 PM.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

20. Member
    Go stay at bluewater in dayton and fish Chick. Plenty to do when chattanooga is 15 minutes away. In October you will have great weather on Chick. Carters is my home lake but I fish Chick a couple times a month and it is definitely a lake to consider for a week. If you havent been there yet that should be at the top of your list.
    2020 Caymas CX20

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast