Boat trailer has negative tongue weight.

I purchased a 21’ Champion super v fish n ski not too long ago. However after taking the boat out a few times I noticed that it was very easy to lift up the trailer and drop it on to the hitch. In addition, when driving I can hear the trailer pull up on the hitch when I go over a bump. To remedy this I attached some steel cabling to hook of the hull where the wench attaches to pull it down. I am looking for some long term solutions to fix this issue. The trailer is the original trailer that came with the boat. Single axle. I have read that some people say to move the axle, but I don’t think that is a option because the trailer has fender flaps. I also removed the U bolts from the stand that the bow roller was on and moved it more towards the hitch so the boat could move up higher on the trailer. However, when I did that it caused the boat to sit below the bow roller now. Any help would be appreciated. I’m stuck. I will try to update with pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I think I would move the stand forward until you get the proper tongue weight. Then I would take the winch stand to a welder and have them cut off the bars that hold the roller & have new bars welded that are the proper length and angle. I would also have another cross bar or two welded across the bars that hold the roller. This will give it some additional strength. Unfortunately, you will probably have to drop the trailer & boat in the water so you can move the boat forward until you get the proper tongue weight. I don’t think it would be too expensive. Good luck.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

3. Member
    I would put 50 or so pounds of weight (lead) on the tongue. Or mount a spare tire on the tongue. Some weight on the tongue. You get the idea.

4. Member
    Maybe I am missing something. Moving winch forward does not make the roller higher or boat lower. Go to ramp with proper wrenches. Move winch forward a few inches. Back boat into water enough so you can winch boat forward to new position. Check weight and repeat if needed.
    Last edited by gehol; 09-04-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Move winch stand forward 4-6in.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

6. Member
    That might not be the trailer that boat came on from the factory. Negative tongue weight is a bad scene.

7. Scraps
    Also, some of those Champs had trailer issues. Maybe the axle was replaced and was shifted at some point. Jackplate? If one was added that changes the geometry in a bad way.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Maybe I am missing something. Moving winch forward does not make the roller higher or boat lower. Go to ramp with proper wrenches. Move winch forward a few inches. Back boat into water enough so you can winch boat forward to new position. Check weight and repeat if needed.
    I tried this option on Friday. Boat was docked on the water so I took off the u bolts and moved it about 6 inches. When I brought the boat back on the trailer the boats hull sat well BELOW the roller.

9. Member
    Move the winch stand. If equipped, adjust your bunk supports to raise/lower the bow. If that's a no-go, re-fab the bowstop support or the bunk supports.

10. Member
    One thing I forgot to mention earlier was the previous owner built a steel framed custom wake tower and put it on the back in front of the engine. You can see it in the pictures. Would that make a big difference in the weight balance.

11. Member
    That winch mount is waayyyy rearward. Moving it forward is going to solve your issue. One thing to consider first, are the front end of your bunks flat or curved up to support the bow? If flat your good, move that winch point forward. If curved, like on my Javelin, you may not be able to locate the further forward without changing your whole bunk setup.

Also double check that you don't have a transducer mounted inline with a bunk that will hit it if the boat is move further forward. If so, this is likely an easy fix. Peel carpet off back of bunk, cut the back of bunk as needed for clearance, staple carpet back over, cut off excess.
    Last edited by tanner101; 09-04-2019 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Added info

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner101 View Post
    That winch mount is waayyyy rearward. Moving it forward is going to solve your issue. One thing to consider first, are the front end of your bunks flat or curved up to support the bow? If flat your good, move that winch point forward. If curved, like on my Javelin, you may not be able to locate the further forward without changing your whole bunk setup.

Also double check that you don't have a transducer mounted inline with a bunk that will hit it if the boat is move further forward. If so, this is likely an easy fix. Peel carpet off back of bunk, cut the back of bunk as needed for clearance, staple carpet back over, cut off excess.
    The bunks are flat they are NOT curved. However, when i took the boat out on Friday I docked the boat and I did move the winch forward. But the boat sat well below the bow roller now. Do I need to get the winch refabricated now?

13. Member
    You need to find out why the bow gets lower when the boat moves forward. Are the bunks sloping down? Perhaps adjust bunks upward toward the front. It is obvious from your pictures the boat is too far back. It could be the bunks are designed and/or positioned for a different boat. The problem is the boat position.

14. Member
    ok, thank you all for your replies I appreciate all of your input. I will reply to this thread after trying the advice you offered and let you know the outcome.

15. Member
    Not saying this is your problem, as we're trying to diagnose just from description. When mine loads below the bow roller it is fully a cause of having the trailer backed too far in the water. The stern is still floating causing the boat's angle to be nose low. Like I said, probably not your case but just a thought.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner101 View Post
    Not saying this is your problem, as we're trying to diagnose just from description. When mine loads below the bow roller it is fully a cause of having the trailer backed too far in the water. The stern is still floating causing the boat's angle to be nose low. Like I said, probably not your case but just a thought.
    And a good thought. Worth considering.

17. Member
    Just a possibility, the previous owner may have replaced the bunk boards and used premade shorter ones like they sell at bass pro. Your bunk boards only go just past the mount on the trailer extending them 6-8" may hold the bow up as needed to move the bow stop forward to get you the proper tongue weight. The may have moved the bow stop back to compensate for the bow dropping.

Just a theory.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

18. Member
    Also not entirely getting what you mean or what the issue is with the bow being below the winch tower/roller. Is the ramp really steep and the trailer too far in? Moving it forward is a straight and level move, it shouldn't affect how the forward part of the keel comes into the winch tower.

If that tow thing at the back is steel it's definitely adding weight. You don't want to hear this, but the other thing that could make it heavier than is was when new is water in the foam. If the foam is water logged, that could add considerable weight in the aft most part of a boat. Also much harder to prove or rule out as a problem.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp