Tips to run transducer cable from bilge to console?

Seriously, it cant be this hard can it. I see 2 conduits on the starboard side in bilge that's high up. I don't know where they go to.

I tried to remove the fiberglass motor control and gain access in there but I cant move it out of the way. I guess the steering controls are holding it in place and I don't know how to, or even should remove it so that panel will come out.

I already have the transducer mounted. The cable is just wrapped up and tied in the bilge at the time. I might ghetto rig it and run it across the back deck so I can test the transducer out lol.

Maybe even pay a shop to do it. Not sure how much that will run. Ugh.

2. Member
    This is what you need. I first started using them when I owned a custom home theater business back in the late 90's. Makes running wires through walls, tight places, and YES boats a breeze.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...kit-65326.html
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    This is what you need. I first started using them when I owned a custom home theater business back in the late 90's. Makes running wires through walls, tight places, and YES boats a breeze.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...kit-65326.html
    I have those and tried to use it. Same with fish tape.

4. Member
    Lol, here's how I ran the cable so I could test my transducer install. It works! The taped on starboard mounting plate works and held without issue. I do want to screw the cable down onto it though. I saw the cable shift a bit. I also ran up taped up cable holders along the transom so I didn't have to drill into it.

5. Member
    I will just say I was disappointed at how difficult it was to rig my Vexus. The rigging tubes you are speaking about are dead ends. You need to remove the screws from the trim piece that is for your motor rigging tube on top of the boat. Push that up, push your transducer wire through there, remove the screws from the side panel at drivers seat area and push your rods or fish tape back it will come out at motor rigging tube. Pull your wire then push your rod through the tube near console and pull your wire through. Will require removing panel under console. Most difficult boat to rig I’ve owned and I’ve owned several. My AVX 1980 was way harder to rig than it should be.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdr2064 View Post
    I will just say I was disappointed at how difficult it was to rig my Vexus. The rigging tubes you are speaking about are dead ends. You need to remove the screws from the trim piece that is for your motor rigging tube on top of the boat. Push that up, push your transducer wire through there, remove the screws from the side panel at drivers seat area and push your rods or fish tape back it will come out at motor rigging tube. Pull your wire then push your rod through the tube near console and pull your wire through. Will require removing panel under console. Most difficult boat to rig I’ve owned and I’ve owned several. My AVX 1980 was way harder to rig than it should be.
    Are you talking about the fiberglass control/button part or the entire aluminum panel?

Btw, I found out the screw hidden behind those 2 hidden breakers, doesn't do shit because it's not hitting anything. It's just driven into the fiberglass. Too big of a gap behind it to reach the aluminum panel.

7. Member
    The entire aluminum panel. You need to push it from the top to make a gap so you can access the wires and chases

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdr2064 View Post
    The entire aluminum panel. You need to push it from the top to make a gap so you can access the wires and chases
    To remove this panel, did you remove all of the screws? I don't remember how many there are. Pretty sure theres 2 on top with the yellow dots. IIRC theres 2 along the bottom of the bottom seat. Aligned with the arrow screw.

Theres also this aluminum angle brace holding 2 screws against the panel, marked as red. After removing the aluminum panel, you still need to separate the fiberglass panel?

Also iirc, there's no panel underneath my console. There is a huge conduit leading into the front starboard compartment, then turns to the control box panel.

9. Member
    You have to remove all the screws in side panel. If no panel is there don’t worry about it.

10. Member
    Includes removing the screws at top of panel. That is where you access things.

11. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar

12. Member
    So there's 2 conduit in there. Where do the opposite end start at in the bilge? Thanks Sclark

13. Member
    The top one is the only one that allows your fish device through. It will come out
    the top of the boat where the tube goes the motor

14. Member
    Sent you a pm

15. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    So there's 2 conduit in there. Where do the opposite end start at in the bilge? Thanks Sclark
    The top one runs to the Engine rigging tube for steering cables, throttle cables and electrical cables
    20190905_163921.jpg

the bottom tube runs to the bilge area and reduces down to a smaller diameter it comes out in the lower right side (drivers side) of this picture
    20190905_163911.jpg

16. Member
    The bottom one on my boat is in pieces. Large gaps in the conduit. I took the seats
    out and the gas tank shield. No way in heck are you going to get fish
    tape or rods to get through there.

17. Member
    I was waffling if I should have the dealership do the transducer run. Today, I decided to give it 1 more go at it.

I removed all the screws I could see on the aluminum panel and gave the panel a wiggle and no movement at all. So I removed all the screws holding the fiberglass panel too and still nothing budging. I was thinking maybe the panel is on tight due to the polyurea coating. I used my screwdriver to pry the edge and it started moving. I was wondering what that aluminum angle next to the seat was holding onto. I thought it was welded in place but when the panel moved, that aluminum angle just fell off from the seat backing area.I was able to pry and wiggle enough so I could see the end of the big conduit shown by sclark. I tried feeding my rods up there but no go. So I went through the engine side conduit. I originally inserted with the "female" end of the rod but I could feel it getting stuck at the bend about a foot in. So I switched to the male end and it slide in much easier. I used 3 sections to reach the console. I just taped up the transducer plug onto the end of the rod and pulled it through. Now I need to get from the side console into the actual console. I already planned to mount my network box on the starboard front locker, which you can see the big conduit going from console to side console. Since I was running wires into the locker, I cut a small hole into this conduit. I then used a rod and inserted it into this conduit from the locker side and tried to feed it into the side console but no go. Just too much of a bend I guess. So I got the fishtape out and used that and it went right to the side console with ease. Taped the transducer to the tape and pulled into the locker, then feed it upwards into the console but on this step, I had to use the rod.

From the locker, It's easy to run cables to the bow. There's an open conduit that's almost a straight shot to the bow.

Thanks to wdr2064 and sclark for the assistance. Couldn't have done it without you guys.

A couple of tips for the next person, I don't think you have to remove the fiberglass panel at all on the side console. When I was putting my fiberglass panel back into place, for some reason the bottom 2 rear screws weren't lining up with the original holes anymore. I snapped 1 of the screws trying to drill it back into place. So I made sure to redrill a new hole through the aluminum for the other one. So I got 1 bugger up spot on my panel, but it's hidden on the bottom corner next to the seat.

Also, the top portion of the aluminum panel only has 2 screws, as indicated by my picture up top with yellow markers. One of them is much longer. I wasn't paying attention when I was removing screws but I'm pretty sure the long one goes in the stern side bc the front one had a bunch of wires close to the screw hole.
    Last edited by BoatNoobie; 09-19-2019 at 11:13 PM.

18. Member
    You are welcome! You are correct that you don’t need to remove the fiberglass panel. It will move with the aluminum panel.

19. Member
    going from side console to actual console totally sucked. very tight, had to pull out factory mounted ducer plug. When I went side to actual I removed the plate under console and went into there cause the tubing is split into two pieces, then I fed it back up into the actual console mount. Did I say it sucked lol. Had tennis elbow for months after from fighting it but I got it....finally
    Jeremy
    Texas A&M \'99