Banned

Medium Action spinning rods-What techniques?

Picked up my first medium action spinning rod to throw shakey heads and some weightless senkos. What other techniques are you all running on medium action rods?

2. Member
    Basically the same ones as you and I’ll throw a weightless fluke as a jerkbait on one also

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnBasser View Post
    Basically the same ones as you and I’ll throw a weightless fluke as a jerkbait on one also
    I finally got around to trying that bait and liked it so will definitely be adding that in.

Well, I've got a couple of M's that are light to medium light and one M that is more like a MH. Basically, that "M" doesn't mean a heck of a lot. Sad, but that's the way it is. The line weight recommendation is generally a more realistic gauge of the power of a rod. So, what weight of line are you using? No, no, braid doesn't count in this game. And then too, some brands of Copolymer or Monofiliment are very oversized and that's why "they're really tough". Yeah, it's 10 lb test line with an 8 lb test label.

One of my favorite things to do is "Splitshotting". Think of it as a very light version of a Carolina Rig. Surprisingly snag resistant, quick to re-rig, great for clear water with 6 to 8 lb copolymer on a 6' to 6.5' rod...those two "M" rods that are barely ML's. Great fun and a good way to catch 'em.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    7 foot medium spinning rod is my favorite rod in the boat. If you need to you can do just about anything with it. I like mine for....tubes, finesse jigs, 3-4 inch paddle tails, heavy drop shot, jerkbaits, 1/2 ounce and lighter topwater, heavy neds, shakey head, split shot rig, neko rig, senkos...when in doubt this should be able to most of what you need for things less than 1/2 ounce.

6. Member
    I'm thinking you guys are talking about medium power spinning rods, not medium action...

oe

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
    I'm thinking you guys are talking about medium power spinning rods, not medium action...

oe

I miswrote. I meant medium power rods. ordered a fenwick spinning rod for shakey heads...and wondering what else I can get away with using it for. I only run 5-6 rods on the water, so I like to be able to rig up a few different baits per rod.

Tubes, finesse jigs, light jerkbaits, and jig worms for me.

(A jig worm is a heavier "Ned rig" style head with a longer shanked hook, usually paired with a medium sized curl tail worm like a 7" Power Worm or with a stick bait like a 4-5" Senko, that's cast into submerged vegetation, intentionally hung up, then ripped free.)
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post

oe
    Yeah about 100% of "pros" will refer to a rods power as action. See it over and over. This presentation needs a heavy action rod to get the biggins out of cover.
    Like this from Scott Martin calls it extra heavy action at 1 minute mark.

KVD calling it medium heavy action at 55 seconds
    Last edited by QUAKEnSHAKE; 09-07-2019 at 09:58 AM.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    Yeah about 100% of "pros" will refer to a rods power as action. See it over and over. This presentation needs a heavy action rod to get the biggins out of cover.
    Like this from Scott Martin calls it extra heavy action at 1 minute mark.

KVD calling it medium heavy action at 55 seconds
    I swear I hear everyone calling it "action" instead of power. The only ones that consistently mention power are the tacticalbassin guys. Theyll call it by the power and then describe the action...but the more I think about it I think i am used to everyone calling it "action" and not power! lol Now im gonna start noticing that since you brought it up! Hey...at least I can say me and KVD have something in common now!

11. Member
    Actions are listed as speeds, extra fast, fast, moderate fast, (although some say medium fast, but it is a misnomer) moderate, and slow. Powers are listed as weights, ultra light, light, medium light, medium, medium heavy, etc.