Thread: What idiot....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What idiot....

.... in his right mind would buy 4 jerkbaits or any bait for $160? What is going on in this sport? It’s bad enough boats are clearing $100k, whats next, bag of worms for $20? Please, someone explain to me what makes a jerkbait worth that kind of money?

2. Member
    If you’re that curious, try one!

Honestly, I don’t know what you’re ranting about but assume some SP-C coloured Megabass 110 jerkbaits came up on the for sale page. Limited production colours that people collect can go for a pretty penny. I actually obtained one with a megavads reel I bought and sold the single bait for $90 including shipping.

So... if it’s a Megabass, the action is different than anything on the market, they have limited production colours that command high prices and the internal weight bearings are tungsten. Some people hate the katsuage hooks but they are sticky sharp and you rarely pull one out of the fishes mouth.

If you’re wondering, yes... I have about 30 of them which is why I know a little bit about them.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    whats next, bag of worms for $20?
    Im guessing you dont fish bigger senkos? 10 of them will run you $15 bucks! lol

4. Banned
    oh and...people charge, what people will pay.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lape0019 View Post

Honestly, I don’t know what you’re ranting about but assume some SP-C coloured Megabass 110 jerkbaits came up on the for sale page. Limited production colours that people collect can go for a pretty penny. I actually obtained one with a megavads reel I bought and sold the single bait for $90 including shipping.

So... if it’s a Megabass, the action is different than anything on the market, they have limited production colours that command high prices and the internal weight bearings are tungsten. Some people hate the katsuage hooks but they are sticky sharp and you rarely pull one out of the fishes mouth.

If you’re wondering, yes... I have about 30 of them which is why I know a little bit about them.
    Special action blah blah dude. Come on, gotta do better than that. KVD one of the best jerkbait guys out there and throws a $9 bait and wrecks’em.

Collectors items... ok i get that.

In my experience it isnt that often that it takes such a special bait to catch fish. If they eating, they gonna eat.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    Im guessing you dont fish bigger senkos? 10 of them will run you $15 bucks! lol
    Actual senkos, nope. Sure dont. Not when gambler and big bite baits makes and zoom all make more durable baits. I will give ya the only time an actual senko out performs standard senkos is whacky rigging.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    oh and...people charge, what people will pay.
    So, more money than sense? I get that too.

8. Member
    Special action blah blah dude. Come on, gotta do better than that. KVD one of the best jerkbait guys out there and throws a $9 bait and wrecks’em.

Collectors items... ok i get that.

In my experience it isnt that often that it takes such a special bait to catch fish. If they eating, they gonna eat.
    Hey! You’re asking so I gave you my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Do I get why you’re curious? For sure. It’s a lot of coin for a bait that will probably end up in some Pikes mouth (hate it when that happens...)

If you’re happy with the $9.00 KVD’s, good for you. I can’t say they’re bad at all because they do catch them. But on those not so ideal days, that vision 110 will out produce any other jerk out there. Go read how Yuko Ito managed to start supplying IS companies and you’ll start to see they are most definitely different than anything else here.

9. Member
    Hey! You’re asking so I gave you my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

Do I get why you’re curious? For sure. It’s a lot of coin for a bait that will probably end up in some Pikes mouth (hate it when that happens...)

If you’re happy with the $9.00 KVD’s, good for you. I can’t say they’re bad at all because they do catch them. But on those not so ideal days, that vision 110 will out produce any other jerk out there. Go read how Yuko Ito managed to start supplying IS companies and you’ll start to see they are most definitely different than anything else here.
    Yeah man, to each his own, i just hate seeing the sport get like golf is all.

I'm one of the guys that looks at the price of a bag of plastics and divide by the number of baits in the bag. I'm not going to say I haven't paid over $.50 per bait, but $1 per soft plastic bait is totally insane.

I don't do much with treble hook stuff. Rapala stuff is ok if I put decent hooks on them. The secret for me is to hit the fish on the head with the bait and get a reaction strike. It's happened a crazy number of times with both soft plastics and hard baits.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Always laugh at these comments . People will lose, break off, rip soft plastics, drop shot weights bullet weights . One setup of a Plastic worm, lead weight and hook cost idk $1.50 and up if using tungsten...yet I have had Megabass jerkbaits or whatever lure for that matter that I bought 10 years ago still going strong
    So in my opinion its a way better investment .
    Chris Beverly
    2005 Champion 206 Mercury Verado 275!!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golfpro307 View Post
    Always laugh at these comments . People will lose, break off, rip soft plastics, drop shot weights bullet weights . One setup of a Plastic worm, lead weight and hook cost idk $1.50 and up if using tungsten...yet I have had Megabass jerkbaits or whatever lure for that matter that I bought 10 years ago still going strong
    So in my opinion its a way better investment .
    That is a rare occurrence. But how many have been thrown a handful of times and had a toothy critter take it from ya? More so than the couple of 10 year baits you still have. I don't hardly ever use t-rigs or soft plastics that much anymore. Mostly c-rigs if anything and they usually last quite a long time. Maybe it is just that here in florida we have too many toothy critters that like to take baits from you. But then again, i am sure a northern pike can and does frequently tear them pretty little expensive baits up.

13. Banned
    If I'm reading the opening statement correct, DO NOT try one.. I lost a $54 Jerry Rago swimbait when I first moved in here 5 years ago, to this day I still slow down and see if I can spot it where it was lost

14. Banned
    This is where I do the Lion's Share of my shopping..

@TackleWhorehouse™ in the Clearance Bin... Good crap You don't really need in here:

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/liquidation.html

15. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I've never understood why anyone who clearly knows so much would want advice or explanations from "idiots" or those with "more money than sense"......
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I've never understood why anyone who clearly knows so much would want advice or explanations from "idiots" or those with "more money than sense"......
    Don't be so sensitive. It was just there to get the attention. I notice it is the Canadians who are most offended by this topic.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    If I'm reading the opening statement correct, DO NOT try one.. I lost a $54 Jerry Rago swimbait when I first moved in here 5 years ago, to this day I still slow down and see if I can spot it where it was lost
    Same here! Lol! I have gotten used to the 8-9 dollar hard baits and it still stings when i loose them, but all be damned if i am gonna spend $60 on a “lighty used” jerkbait in that river just to have a big old jack rip it to shreds. Lol!,

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Don't be so sensitive. It was just there to get the attention. I notice it is the Canadians who are most offended by this topic.
    Meh.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

As someone suggested above, something is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

To get at the "why" Megabass jerkbaits are so expensive, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they're hand painted. Hand painting isn't free, obviously. Is it necessary or does it make a difference? I have my thoughts on it, but the good thing is that it's OK if other people disagree as long as they can't spend my money for me!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    As someone suggested above, something is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

To get at the "why" Megabass jerkbaits are so expensive, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that they're hand painted. Hand painting isn't free, obviously. Is it necessary or does it make a difference? I have my thoughts on it, but the good thing is that it's OK if other people disagree as long as they can't spend my money for me!
    I did not realize they were had painted. I agree that would definitely raise the price some.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast