Thread: What idiot....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladr6 View Post
    I did not realize they were had painted. I agree that would definitely raise the price some.
    and not sure what brand paint they use...but im pretty sure they use better paints than the other brands cuz they have "color shift" type paints on some of their patterns. That stuffs not cheap and its my understanding has to be added in multiple layers to give it that sheen/shiny color shifting look they have. The sexy shad i have im pretty sure has that color shift paint...and id never seen it before megabass and didnt figure out what it was until I got into learning about the custom crankbait/swimbait painters out there.

I dont buy megabass anymore (dont fish jerkbaits much), and my "expensive" baits are now hand painted or carved from people here in the US. Look into old zoom brand balsa crankbaits if you wanna make steam come out of your ears....crankbaits with rare/popular paint jobs selling for $100+ that will never see the water! and if you find someone to sell you one for $30 or less youre getting a killer deal! LOL

Look into custom painters...theres people out there that do megabass level work. Only downside is making sure you like the blanks they use....or you can buy balsa crankbaits which are awesom too!

Yeah man, to each his own, i just hate seeing the sport get like golf is all.
    This sport is much more expensive than golf - except for the top end private clubs...

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Member
    This sport can be much more expensive than golf but it doesn’t have to be. Each person has to justify what it’s worth to them. I rarely have paid full price for a rod or reel and typically buy my stuff on sale.

There's a guide I know of that fishes Upper Bull Shoals in the winter time. I haven't fished with him but have a friend that has fished many times with him. Anyway he catches some very large walleye, largemouth and crappie on a 110+1. It's not a numbers deal at all, one of those things where you are fishing for a few quality bites. The guide isn't using 110's because he is trying to sell them, but because they do the job.

And personally I don't care if people buy them or not, I have a few, and sometimes they are the ticket. Right tool at the right time.

The most valuable thing all of us spend when we're on the water is our time.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    There's a guide I know of that fishes Upper Bull Shoals in the winter time. I haven't fished with him but have a friend that has fished many times with him. Anyway he catches some very large walleye, largemouth and crappie on a 110+1. It's not a numbers deal at all, one of those things where you are fishing for a few quality bites. The guide isn't using 110's because he is trying to sell them, but because they do the job.

And personally I don't care if people buy them or not, I have a few, and sometimes they are the ticket. Right tool at the right time.

And that! Sums it up

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post

Quill - Is that the same guide who just caught the #4 Brown Trout of all time?

ever see what some of the Original wiggle warts go for? I have seen some really high prices. but a lot of them are collectors.

8. Member
    If you don't spend $40 on a jerkbait, what you gonna spend it on?

If I thought something would increase my enjoyment of the limited time I can spend fishing (hunting), i'm buying it! Saving is for squares.

Not sure about ya'll, but i'm dying broke! Even if I die tomorrow!!

9. Member
    I enjoy high end rods, reels and tackle. Not because they catch that many more fish but because I love the feeling of fishing with the best. I am retired, my home is paid for, all my children are grown and collage costs are in the past and my wife has passed so my fishing is where I get to spend my money for my enjoyment. Thousands for a boat and a truck to pull it, thousands for home rentals on the lakes I fish and I am going to penny pinch on a jerk bait. I don't think so. I had never used a vision 110 before but read posts by Mark Perry and others that made me want to try one while fishing Lake Champlain. Had so much fun catching dozens of smallmouth that when a pike stole it my brother and I put in an overnight order for two dozen more. To each their own but I have worked hard all my life and this is where I now choose to spend what I have earned. I also don't need high dollar gold inlay grade 6 shot guns but I do like them.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I enjoy high end rods, reels and tackle. Not because they catch that many more fish but because I love the feeling of fishing with the best. I am retired, my home is paid for, all my children are grown and collage costs are in the past and my wife has passed so my fishing is where I get to spend my money for my enjoyment. Thousands for a boat and a truck to pull it, thousands for home rentals on the lakes I fish and I am going to penny pinch on a jerk bait. I don't think so. I had never used a vision 110 before but read posts by Mark Perry and others that made me want to try one while fishing Lake Champlain. Had so much fun catching dozens of smallmouth that when a pike stole it my brother and I put in an overnight order for two dozen more. To each their own but I have worked hard all my life and this is where I now choose to spend what I have earned. I also don't need high dollar gold inlay grade 6 shot guns but I do like them.
    Ha! Nailed it! I’m in your same boat!!

11. Dogfish_Jones
    I buy from the lower open box at Walmart. They usually cost around $1.50. I think I have bought every type lure at BPS when they have them thrown in a aisle sale kiosk for $1.99.
    Plus I have a lure retriever that has paid for itself 100 x over.
    Now I have to wonder why I have over 45 Plano boxes full of lures.
    I have found that we fisherman are addicts for everything that MIGHT catch a fish. Yes....I am a lure buying whore.
    TACKLE WAREHOUSE....has me on speed dial.

Don’t go pricing big swimbaits. That’ll really get you going
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I buy from the lower open box at Walmart. They usually cost around $1.50. I think I have bought every type lure at BPS when they have them thrown in a aisle sale kiosk for $1.99.
    Plus I have a lure retriever that has paid for itself 100 x over.
    Now I have to wonder why I have over 45 Plano boxes full of lures.
    I have found that we fisherman are addicts for everything that MIGHT catch a fish. Yes....I am a lure buying whore.
    TACKLE WAREHOUSE....has me on speed dial.
    45 boxes--so glad to find someone that is ate up just slightly worse than me! Congrats-- am sure you are like me and enjoy the sickness.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Don’t go pricing big swimbaits. That’ll really get you going
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gan_...age-GCSM3.html

Only $249.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    And that doesn’t include hooks! LOL
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    And that doesn’t include hooks! LOL
    Imagine losing that first cast?

17. Member
    I have a serious Mega bass addiction. Over a (100) 110's in different types / +1 / +2 / squarebill / silent riser. Probably over (100) cyclone srx and mrx. Sometimes I loose one on the first fish an sometimes I can catch 50 fish on one stuff happens. Only time I sweat it is when I smack one off the talons if I am in the back my boat and break it. Other than that its cost of doing business.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    I have a serious Mega bass addiction. Over a (100) 110's in different types / +1 / +2 / squarebill / silent riser. Probably over (100) cyclone srx and mrx. Sometimes I loose one on the first fish an sometimes I can catch 50 fish on one stuff happens. Only time I sweat it is when I smack one off the talons if I am in the back my boat and break it. Other than that its cost of doing business.
    Sounds like you need to video that stuff and save that somewhere "off site" in case you ever get hit by a thief! I can see trying to explain that to an insurance adjuster now...

Oh, and probably saved somewhere where your wife won't find it either, if applicable.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    Quill - Is that the same guide who just caught the #4 Brown Trout of all time?
    Not him, but a buddy of his.

20. Member
    .... in his right mind would buy 4 jerkbaits or any bait for $160? What is going on in this sport? It’s bad enough boats are clearing $100k, whats next, bag of worms for $20? Please, someone explain to me what makes a jerkbait worth that kind of money?
    This can be said about any materialistic items we purchase. Rods, reels, cars, boats, jewelry, clothing, property, etc. I used to buy only rapalas and then realized everyone was using them. Tried megabass, evergreen, duo, and luckycraft, a few years ago and it has given me confidence in throwing/using jerkbaits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12