HDS 7 gen 2 touch... turning on and off by itself

Randomly today, halfway through my outing, my HDS 7, gen 2 touch mapping unit started turning on and off by itself. It’s doing it constantly to the point it loads, then Shuts off and turns on again.

i pulled the unit apart and cleaned the button tabs. Still doing it the same. Any ideas before I throw it in the trash? This is my 3rd lowrance that has gone to shit. I am about to trash all of them and switch brands.

2. Member
    Add VOLTAGE to a screen in EDIT OVERLAY and see what the voltage reading shows. Could be bad wiring, dirty connections at the battery or even the DREADED WING NUTS on the battery. Another brand would have the same issues.

3. Banned
    After the gps fix update mine have started doing this too. I’m blaming the navionics card at this point.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennybryan View Post
    Add VOLTAGE to a screen in EDIT OVERLAY and see what the voltage reading shows. Could be bad wiring, dirty connections at the battery or even the DREADED WING NUTS on the battery. Another brand would have the same issues.

I dont use wing nuts. Only the nuts that is called for by mercury.

i have another HDS 7 and I plug it into the same plug as the one acting up, and it works fine. I even took the HD’s 7 that is turning on and off and put it on my other HD’s 7 plug and it turns on and off on that one as well... so wiring isn’t the issue, and neither is the plug.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    After the gps fix update mine have started doing this too. I’m blaming the navionics card at this point.
    I do have navionics on it but I haven’t updated this unit since I got it.

6. Member
    I did a soft reset... didn’t help.

7. Member
    Take the navionics card out. Restart the unit, see what happens

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Take the navionics card out. Restart the unit, see what happens
    did that. Didn’t change a thing.

next step... garbage?

9. Member
    Watch the you tube video by Jacob Scott that shows how to do a SERVICE REPORT. Worth a try.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennybryan View Post
    Watch the you tube video by Jacob Scott that shows how to do a SERVICE REPORT. Worth a try.
    I watched it.

mine is a second gen 2 touch.

also, how can I even make a service report if the unit turns off the second it makes it to the start up screen, and then restarts just to do it all over again?

11. Member
    You have done a hard reset? If not get to it. And take out any memorycards and networkcables (ethernet/ NMEA).

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    You have done a hard reset? If not get to it. And take out any memorycards and networkcables (ethernet/ NMEA).
    I have not... was trying to avoid that for obvious reasons but I think that’s my last option at this point.

13. Member
    Well, I can’t even get the unit to do a hard reset because it involves pressing the power button, and releasing the power button.... and that’s what is sticking internally so when I hold the + and - and hafto press the power button and release to do a hard reset, it’s not doing it. Also, as soon as I plug in the power wire to the port, the unit turns on without pressing the power button and just keeps rebooting.

14. Member
    I had one doing the same. I have never taking one apart but expect it to be a main board like any other pc. The plugs (power, sonar, ethernet) all must connect to the board by soldering. My power plug must have broken its connection or it was coming apart internally. If I would bend the power cable when it was plugged in hard I could get it to stay powered on. Once i let go it would try to reboot. and sometimes not come on. Luckily at that time I was still under warranty and was able to return it.

15. Member
    Well, the unit isn’t fixed, but I can still use it.

turn on the main boat power and the unit turns on and boots up itself, to the login screen and works fine. You gotta press the power button real hard now to get it to turn off/ stand by. If you “power down” by the button, the u it shuts off and just reboots. Not a big deal I guess since I can use it now...so I just power it down and right when it’s about to restart I turn the main power switch off.

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Elite203 View Post
    Well, the unit isn’t fixed, but I can still use it.

turn on the main boat power and the unit turns on and boots up itself, to the login screen and works fine. You gotta press the power button real hard now to get it to turn off/ stand by. If you “power down” by the button, the u it shuts off and just reboots. Not a big deal I guess since I can use it now...so I just power it down and right when it’s about to restart I turn the main power switch off.
    Likely some corrosion or debris in/under power button. I have taken the unit apart and removed the button pad to clean it and reassembled without issue. This was on a 104. Just an option.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Likely some corrosion or debris in/under power button. I have taken the unit apart and removed the button pad to clean it and reassembled without issue. This was on a 104. Just an option.
    i have taken the button pad off several times and cleaned it. Didn’t make a difference. This is a internal issue.