Thread: Field of View

Field of View

I am just trying to learn as much as I can about my new Livescope. The information seems to be very hard to find, but from what I have seemed to find online is that the LVS32 has a Beam width 20° x 135° . I am guessing the 135 is front and back and the 20 is width. That means about a 10' wide viewing area at 30' in front or down.

How can you know where the object really is out front/side of the boat in relation to left or right and how will 2 fish swimming at say -2' and +2' to the side from center line forward appear on the screen at the 30' mark in relation to each other?

2. Member
    Sounds like you have it. For your example, they will appear based on their depth and distance. So if they are both in the cone and at the same exact depth and distance away they would actually appear as one. In reality, that situation would be rare. Fish are almost always moving, some fast and some slow. That movement guarantees you would see two fish, again based on their distance and depth.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I know what it says but the view is not very wide 4-6 feet most of the time .Just think of it as a rifle scope you will only see what’s in the scope and nothing else.The separate mounts really help as you can fine tune side to side ,fish do move,and you will have to keep adjusting in most cases.Crappies usually stay in one spot but still it’s to hard pointing into the wind and trying to shoot to the side with out a separate mount.You can watch fish swim in and out of the beam if your stationary.

4. Member
    Let me try explaining it another way. Lets say a school of fish are swimming 20' out front. Also assume they are single file and doing a drive by - swimming single file perfectly perpendicular from right to left at exact same depth.

How does that appear?

Or let's say you see a giant fish close to bottom 30' out. The cone #'s say your field of view at 30' is about 14'. Can you tell if he's to the left or right side? If you can't, in theory you could cast 14' from intended target.

It would really be amazing to hit a button and change your image from seeing forward to seeing side to side. I'm assuming my first scenario of fish in single file will appear as 1 fish if spacing and everything is perfectly equal. But then hit a button and screen would flip to seeing it left to right and you would see the image swimming as is. You'd then struggle to grasp distance from boat, but toggle between the 2 and your brain could put the puzzle together. It's the conversion from 3D to 2d that has the limitations.
    Last edited by barbarian; 09-03-2019 at 09:09 PM.

5. Member
    I think you have a pretty good handle on this except:
    Change the distance to 50 ft and the pointing is very pinpoint. Forget about the width of the cone then. At 30 ft, yes there's some variation. You can easily test all this with a few minutes on the water. Take a large weight and suspend it under a floating jug. Now get back 100 ft and with the trolling motor start approaching it, stopping along the way to see how much left/right movement of the trolling motor causes the target to appear or disappear. What you'll see is that after you pass that 30 ft mark the cone width gets smaller as distance increases. This is not like standard 2d sonar.

When looking at targets as close as 20 or 30 ft you can fine tune your pointing by noticing two things. Pick the center of the left/right range of motion that still shows the target. The other thing is to notice if the range to the target changes with the left/right motion. The pointing that shows the target the closest to you is pointed correctly.

On your last paragraph about trying to flip to see the left and right, good luck on that. Wishful thinking at best. You are dead on about the complications and limitations of displaying 3D using 2D. So far the way that's done is by color coding the targets so that the spectrum range corresponds to the depth. The PS30 and PS31 do that. For my use that technology is much more limited by screen size than Side Imaging or LiveScope. I'd had to speculate on what the minimum screen size would need to be for it to suit me.
    Last edited by LWINCHESTER2; 09-03-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

6. Member
    I didn't think about your example. Approach a dock with handful of posts and it should be a decent visual example.

When looking at a fish as you turn the transducer left and right the signal gets weaker. Strongest signal is closest to center of the beam.

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Yes you can see them swim left or right and forward amd backwards

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Yes you can see them swim left or right and forward amd backwards
    You can see that on your screen but there is no way that is really what is happening under water as you see it. Because technically a fish swimming from right to left on your screen will show that it is getting closer to the boat. But a fish out in front of you 25' swimming right to left is not swimming closer to the boat. Up and down is different.

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    If you are shooting straight in front of the boat you can watch fish swim away from boat ,towards boat and sometimes left on the screen and righ.Now with that said I can follow them with my mount ,if your on the trolling motor good luck finding anything and staying on it.
    The first day I had mine out back around Christmas the first problem I saw was the trolling motor so I went bought a ultrex so I could spot lock and than got a separate mount ,boy my world changed for the better as I can concentrate on the objects and not fight the trolling motor.You have to be able to make small adjustments as the fish swim around.Also my lure can be to the side of the beam say a few inches to left or right I can see the fish swim out of the beam and I can follow with my separate mount.It takes practice to follow the fish and living on a lake has made it much easier as I can go out and just play and not worry about catching fish so much.
    Think of your rifle scope mounted to your atv ,there’s no way to stay on the target that’s why they make separate mounts.

Left or right movement without moving the scope the return will slowly fade away. Slight movement to follow and you can tell which way the fish is moving.

12. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Out this weekend I saw some cats and you could see them turn and swim to the left with tail and than turn and it looked like a head light coming across the screen going the opposite way pretty cool.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Out this weekend I saw some cats and you could see them turn and swim to the left with tail and than turn and it looked like a head light coming across the screen going the opposite way pretty cool.
    this post is useless without pics or video

14. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I know ,but I was to busy catching crappie!