Someone educate me, 1998 Stratos 201 Pro Elite

Someone in my area is selling a 1998 Stratos 201 Pro Elite with a (presumably same year) Johnson Venom 225. Anyone know if the motor is reliable? Is the boat all composite or is there some wood? They're asking for $7500 with a possibility of haggling. This isn't my first rodeo buying a used boat so I know what to look for, but obviously you can't catch everything.

I'm not a speed demon, what I value most is reliability and stability. Oh, and most of my rods are over 7 feet, with a couple of 8 footers, was wondering if the rod lockers could accommadate that.

2. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    I used to fish the rivers down there. I'd be wary of rust from salt on the trailer and IN the engine. In 98, stratos supposedly went to all composite; stringers, transom, and flooring. I've never seen one ripped apart, so I can't 100% guarantee that info. For sure, haggle!

3. Member
    Thanks for the info, owner claims he meticulously maintained the motor, but that's what they all say right? No red flags from the pictures. He's about an hour away from me so I want to get as much info as I can before I make the drive to check it out. What price should I be shooting for?

If the boat checks out that sound like a fare price. Whats it come with? That era motor is a proven one although carb bowls wrap from ethanol.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

5. Member
    Looks like it comes with a humminbird helix 7 or 9 on the dash, a motor guide trolling motor (plus another extra tm), a hydraulic jack plate (this is a nice addition). Trailer lights work. Carpet looks to be in decent condition, same with seats. I have an ultrex 80lb and two mega humminbirds that I'm going to put on.

I had a 93 and a 95 with the Evinrude Pro XP and Vindicator but they where all OMC, including the Johnson GT or Venoms. The hull is phenominal rough water ride but they where the most troublesome motors I owned. The 93 blew for the second owner shortly after I sold it and I had power pack issues with my 95. My last Rude powered Stratos was an 07 Etec 225 which was night and day better OAL. The hull is worth repowering IMHO.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

7. Member
    Frankly sounds like a $10k+ boat to me.

8. Member
    I paid 8 for my 98 201 pro a few months ago and thought that was fair for what I got so ask 7

Just food for thought...I bought mine new in 93 for under $20,000 and the 95 in 95 for a tad over that.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus