Is a guide worth the money?

So I fish Guntersville just about every week. I have had my boat about 2 years. I have definitely come a long way. But there are still days I struggle for just one fish. I can usually catch at least one fish just about any time of the year don't get me wrong there are still days I get skunked. The one time of the year I cannot seem to catch a fish is the prespawn it was so bad last year I just started going to Smith Lake. I just cannot seem catch fish during the prespawn on Guntersville. I was thinking of getting aguide this coming February or March. My question is getting a guide worth the money? And which guide should I go with?

2. Member
    I had that same thought several years ago. In my unqualified opinion, a guide will help if you know what you want from the service. For example, you may want to learn ledge fishing, maybe you want more knowledge of fishing the grass. It's up to you to decide what you want from a guide and then you can find one to provide that service. I struggled on Guntersville for years. Intimidated by the grass. I finally decided to forget about the grass and focus on things I do well on other lakes. If you're catching fish at Smith, you can catch them at Guntersville. With that, I'd like to learn more about ledge fishing and I may hire a guide to teach me electronics skills for that. Likely not much help for you, just know others struggled with the place for years and then it got better.
    2005 Triton TR-196
    1990 ProCraft ProCaster 180

3. Member
    Ya I get what your saying I was trying to fish the same way I did on smith lake which was fishing the bank going up into all of the coves. I just cannot seem to get on them on Guntersville during the spring. Thanks for the advice. I might get one for ledge fishing too I guess my biggest problem with ledge fishing is after an hour of graphing and I haven't found a school I just go back to grass.

4. Member
    Me and my fishing partner did this for very same reason. I live on smith lake but wanted to be better on guntersville. I could pay $300 in gas to run around trying to find them or pay $300 to get a guide and get a better idea of where to look. Once you go with a guide you can replicate what you did.. some may frown upon it just my opinion. Mike Carter is a very good guide and i hear Donald Johnson is but have not personally been with him

5. Member
    Give Ryan a shout.... He's a FLW Pro and a hoot to fish with.... https://alabamabassguide.com/

Then He said to them, ?Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.? Matthew 4:19

6. Member
    Ok thanks for the info guys. I just want to get better on guntersville especially during the prespawn i struggle to even catch a fish most days during that time.

7. Scraps
    If I'm hiring a guide I'm not necessarily looking for spots. That's short-lived success. I've fallen into the rut of fishing the same areas, the same baits, the same patterns on the same bodies of water. So I've considered going out with a guide to learn different areas and seasonal patterns to consider. So the way I've seen the conversation going is that I'd tell the guy, I fish out of such and such marina, every trip, I fish this river and these creeks, and with these techniques. I'm looking to learn some new areas and in particular the prespawn, I seem to struggle at that time. You'd likely get more and better information out of this approach because the guide's not necessarily going to give you spots, but the right things to look for on the entire lake so you can recognize specific types of areas to look for based on seasonal movements.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

8. Member
    That is a good idea man thanks. Think that is what I am going to do I think.

9. Member
    I fish Guntersville all the time and have for 20 years. I will take a trip if I want to learn a technique. I took a trip back in 2006 to learn to flip the grass with Tim Chandler. During the trip we caught a couple but not many. The next week I used the technique on my best areas and had 24 lbs at weigh in. I took a trip with Ryan Salzman on Pickwick to learn the swimbait deal for smallies this year. I learned alot and used that information on the river out of ditto and have caught some good ones because of it. If you know what you want to learn then I would do it then apply it to what you fish.

On another note, if you want to hook up and go fishing sometime. I would not mind shoeing you somethings.
    2012 Stratos 189 VLo Yamaha 150 Four Stroke

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/bzwildman81/

10. Member
    I hired a guide a few years ago as I had never been on Guntersville. I caught one 12" bass and one 20 lb drum. This guide was supposed to be a top tournament fisherman.
    Since we couldn't catch bass, I had him show me a lot of the lake, and point out where it was safe and not safe to run. Knowing where not to run probably made it worth it.

11. Member
    John what guide was it that you went out with? If you do not mind me asking. Guntersville can definitely be a little sketchy to run if you do not know your way around.

12. Member
    Sorry, I can't remember his name.He was recommended by what was then the largest guide service in the area.

13. Member
    Alright man no worries. I appreciate the information.

14. Banned
    Don't use Jim L, he sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Horrible attitude and whined all day he was tired.

15. Member
    Tim Chandler or
    lonnie Cochran Both are great guides not saying their isn’t some more but these are 2 top notch guys ! Will be money well spent!

16. Member
    Mike Carter gets my vote

17. Member
    Ok thanks for the information guys