Thread: Skeg protection

Skeg protection

Mercury 225 outboard that has small dings and chips on front of skeg. I am looking for something like the keel shield material that will glue onto the front. I am thinking something like the car door savers that we used to prevent dinging other cars. Maybe an inch wide and the length of the skeg. I've researched skeg repair and those items are more for a really damaged or broken skeg. Keelguard and Keelshield should come up with something. Thanks T

2. Member
    That’s a lot of water pressure on a skeg so I doubt any kind of glue would hold. They can be welded up and ground down to shape. I see what you’re saying but I don’t think it would last.

3. Member
    +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    If you change the SHAPE of the skeg, you are heading for trouble. The skeg sits in front of the prop. A fat leading edge will disrupt water flow to the prop, which can produce a very exciting ride at higher speeds. Whatever you put on has to (a) maintain a smooth shape from the leading edge to the trailing edge and (b) have no bumps, humps, fat leading edges, etc. I have seen stainless skeg covers that might do what you want. Or not..
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    3L engine models are covered in the 3L Forum (two more down the list).

For safety reasons, I do not recommend skeg repairs for any vessel that travels greater than 55 MPH (on the water).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor