2005 Ranger Z21 Comanche - Not shifting into Forward

Hi - I have a 2005 Ranger Z21 Comanche with a Yamaha 250hp Vmax engine. The boat shifts into Reverse and Neutral, but when I try to shift into Forward, it jumps into Forward and then right back into neutral, and there is a red blinking light on what I believe is the Shift Actuator (a silver/aluminum box with a clear plastic top that's got 2 cables and wires running into it). It was working fine, but after a long bumpy ride back home, it developed this problem. I've checked the lower case oil level and it's OK. Any ideas?Thanks - Joe.
    Last edited by CigarHuntr; 09-03-2019 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Correction of description of part

Time to have a mechanic look at it !! Doesn't sound like an easy fix in the back yard under a shade tree !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Thank you for your response, wmitch2. I corrected my description of the "shift actuator" (for lack of a more accurate part name) from being a black box, to a silver/aluminum colored bottom and clear plastic top, with two cables running into it. That's what you get for trying to see something at night! My bad.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You might want to post this issue over in the Yamaha forum, too.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Thanks, jc2bg. I appreciate the suggestion; will do!

6. Member
    i had a problem like that with my 2002. a screw to the latch under the cowling vibrated loose and jammed into the linkage so it would not go into reverse.

7. Member
    Thanks, Cableman. I appreciate your comment. I will definitely check that out on my boat. Thanks again.