Thread: Mold Issue

Mold Issue

I have a nitro Z20 on a lift at my lake house and have been experiencing mold issue on my rods and some tackle boxes. Anyone have any tips on preventing this?
    Tight Lines

You are trapping moisture and heat inside your lockers. The question is whether the moisture is from condensation or if the lockers got wet and not completely dried.
    Aluminum boats are notorious for condensing moisture under the compartment lids, but I have not had that problem with my glass boats.
    This link describes how I finally solved the condensate problem with my RT188, it may shed some light.
    BTW: my boat spends about 1/2 the time on a lift in my boat slip and the rest in my driveway under a cover so I cannot leave the locker doors open.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....=#post10410232

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Thanks Bill!
    Tight Lines

My situation was probably more severe than yours, because of my aluminum hull. My suggestion would be to start by making sure all your lockers are dry then put some desiccant dryers in them to absorb the humidity in the air. If this is not sufficient, you could look into methods to ventilate under the deck.
    I prefer the rechargeable desiccant unit’s like this one.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    prop the lids open just a little when storing

6. Member
    I prop mine open with a 3" pcs of hollow pool noodle. Just clip it over the edge of the each lid when I'm covering it up for the night. I also use them if I'm out and things start to get really warm.

7. Member
    In season I leave hatches open whenever it's sunny and I'm around. In off-season, my boat is covered and I leave all hatches open under the cover to circulate air. Has kept mold/mildew to minimum.
    Just one more suggestion to go along with the above - place newspaper (just the black and white print) inside the compartment. This will help to absorb moisture. May need to replace it every so often, but it should work.
    Good luck!