Yamaha SHO Shutting off

Alright guys 2016 SHO on a ZX 250, past couple trips out the motor started to shut off out of nowhere on me. At first it was only when idling, but the last trip out happened twice running at 45 mph. Doesn’t sputter or anything, just shuts off like the kill switch is pulled. Take it out of gear and shut the key off and it fires right back up with no hesitation. Only seems to do it 2-3 times at most a trip not everytime
    I run it. No alarms or anything go off, engine temp is right where it should be, kill switch is still hooked up. Checked and made sure battery connections were clean and tight and they are. Anything else simple I should look at before I take it to the mechanic? Figured it may be hard to diagnose as it doesn’t do it all the time.

2. Member
    It’s a long shot but check fuses. When you have fuse pop it shuts down just like kill switch was pulled. Could have a fuse about to go that’s losing contact in waves.

3. Member
    I had this same problem last year . It’s a lose connection from the battery to the motor . Mine was at the motor . The connection was tight but not tight enough . It could also be the battery it self . The SHO motor is very sensitive to electrical flow . A milla second in electrical flow or voltage drop shuts the motor down like right now. It will always re start .

Mind was shutting down at full throttle and would start right back up with the turn of key if it was in neutral. I was running a lithium ion battery not made for cranking battery. The computer in battery was cutting power from to motor when it was fully charged causing the motor to shut down. Put a AGM starting battery in and no more problems.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    Mind was shutting down at full throttle and would start right back up with the turn of key if it was in neutral. I was running a lithium ion battery not made for cranking battery. The computer in battery was cutting power from to motor when it was fully charged causing the motor to shut down. Put a AGM starting battery in and no more problems.
    I had the same problem and was told the Lithium was shutting down to protect itself. I now have a Lithium Pro that was setup for a SHO and now it runs fine.
    Richard Woods VA Beach,VA
    US Navy ETC/SS Retired
    SKEETER ZX225 / 225 SHO W/Power Pole CHARGE
    GET HER DONE! (Helix 10 G3, 12 G3,Garmin ECHOMAP 106 /livescope and M360 Bow all NMEA2k)
    Relion lithium batteries for T/M and LithiumPro for Motor)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skennedy View Post
    I had this same problem last year . It’s a lose connection from the battery to the motor . Mine was at the motor . The connection was tight but not tight enough . It could also be the battery it self . The SHO motor is very sensitive to electrical flow . A milla second in electrical flow or voltage drop shuts the motor down like right now. It will always re start .
    Not just the SHO. My HPDI was doing same thing. Negative cable from starting battery where bolts to engine block was loose. Tightened up, problem solved.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    Not just the SHO. My HPDI was doing same thing. Negative cable from starting battery where bolts to engine block was loose. Tightened up, problem solved.
    same problem here on the SHO check and clean tighten the negative on the engine block

8. Member
    Mine was doing this as well as not getting a good charge on the cranking battery. Cleaned all of the connections and it is good to go.