How do i keep my opti running strong?

2011 150 opti. What are some things that I can do to make sure it stays in top operating condition?
    I have owned a 2002 Optimax with 800 hours before… I was very glad to see it go down the road. I just bought a tritoon salvage boat with a 150 Optimax from 2011 with 176 hours. This engine to my best knowledge has lived most of his life in the salt water… And it will continue to be in brackish/salt. Aside from the obvious maintenance items...(fuel filter/use only dfi oil/replace lower unit grease) what else is there to ensure that this engine will do better than my 2002 150 opti? Ive also owned a 2016 merc 150 4 stroke...its a great engine, but very pedestrian. Im kind of Excited to be back in the world of the Optimax. This engine will also be for sale on this board as well...its very clean. If you want to see the craigslist ad that look in the Fort Myers craigslist for this engine on the back of the try tune for $5000. Thanks for the help!

2. Member
    follow recommended maintenance , good fuel, good oil, additives to fuel ,correct prop
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    In addition to below, consider having Don clean, calibrate, and service fuel rails and injectors every 3 - 4 yrs.

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Flush the engine often too with fresh water
    Last edited by RickCamilleri; 09-08-2019 at 08:22 PM.
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCamilleri View Post
    Flush the e gone often too with fresh water
    "e gone", did spell check get 'ya?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    "e gone", did spell check get 'ya?
    😂😂 it did

Engine dammit, engine lol
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

7. Member
    I tried to decipher it but the only thing that came to mind was the Ghostbuster.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Dropped by boat by my local shop yesterday. 2007 Opti 150. Serviced and picked up same day. I’m lucky to have a high quality mechanic who’s quick and reasonable. We discussed maintenance and care. Shane told me to:
    Let it warm up to operating temp before taking off for the first time of the day.
    Run good gas with non-ethanol being preferred, but not required.
    Run a fuel additive and cleaner like Mercury Quickcare and Quickleen, and add Quickstor or Sta-Bil when it will be sitting a while.
    Keep running Mercury DFI oil if I’ve had good luck with it.
    Change the water impeller every couple of years/as needed when water pressure drops/telltale stream gets weak or takes longer at startup.
    Change the plugs every 2-3 years, when performance is affected, or idling gets noticeably rough.
    Flush regularly with fresh water.
    That’s it. Run it like you stole it.
    I have to admit I was a little embarrassed when he told me I only had 167 hours on a 12 year old outboard. I totally misunderstood him the last time we spoke. I thought he told me I had around 250. It was 150 hours. It’s not that I don’t fish regularly. I just don’t run far before I start fishing.
    My TM has multiple thousands of hours on it.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    In addition to below, consider having Don clean, calibrate, and service fuel rails and injectors every 3 - 4 yrs.

Oil, Battery, Spark Plugs, Fuel and Fuel Additive Recommendations

Recommended Annual Maintenance or Winterization for Optimax Engines
    +1

Plugs and Water Pump are ANNUAL items in a fishing application, especially.

On the 2.5L Models, I recommend replacing the belt at least once every 4 years or 400 hours (even if it does not appear worn). The belt configuration on the 2.5L tends to result in belt stretching over time.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor