alarm at wot 2005 opti 200

I just purchased a used bass rig with a 200L optimax year is 2005 serial#1B159951. no smart craft gauge. first time out with boat today, let it warm up, go to take off, hit WOT and start to plane out wind is loud as speed is increasing, but I hear a steady alarm, decrease throttle, alarm ceases, attempt to go back to WOT just to make sure I"m hearing what Im hearing, steady alarm again if I try to run motor at WOT, anything below 4200rpm no alarm. so I fish a little and limp it back to ramp and trailer it, engine did not go into guardian mode, and I noted that around 4k rpm water pressure on gauge was at 12lbs, around 16lbs when I had it at WOT before I heard alarm, also note that it boat was never trimmed up onto full plane to get the rpms into operating range (5500+rpm) as I didnt want to risk an overheat or failure. water is about 2lbs at high idle in gear, yes theres a tell-tail stream, it seems ok, but I will note I've have 3.0EFI that "peed" harder. I have not dropped lower to dis-assemble and inspect water pump, previous owner stated it had been "changed" recently. should I send it to mercury dealer to have it put on a computer to find what cause the fault, or is it as simple as a new water pump.

2. Member
    cds diagnostigcs will show exact cause of warn horn
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    +1.

Telltale on Optimax is compressor outlet (not from thermostats) so a little different than EFI. It's also possible what you heard was a compressor overheat warning. Might be wise to pull lower shroud, remove and inspect the compressor strainer for debris but having codes read as Joe suggested is fastest way to know cause and pinpoint your efforts.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Thanks fellas, sent to shop this morning, don't have time to tear it down and certainly don't have computer diagnostics

5. Member
    Could also be your strainer is clogged. On my old 150 opti the clogged strainer was causing over heat alarms
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back on what the PRINTOUTS of the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History show.

Moving thread to the 3L Forum for you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    will report back on printouts with a run history and freeze frame history.

8. Member
    Mechanic did not put the engine on a computer, when asked why, he said they only do that if they can't figure out whats wrong with it, left the shop pretty pissed off, especially since this dude is a master tech and used to work for mercury racing. he did however replace water pump, checked poppit, checked thermostats, and found debris in one of them, said he test ran the motor and it ran fine. so Ill find out today.

9. Member
    Its surprising to me when people won't get the computer data. I'm not a mechanic but hooking up the computer seems like a very easy job - certainly easier than dropping a lower unit and pulling off T-stats.

Am I missing something? is there something hard about hooking up the computer software?
    Chad Snow / Massachusetts
    2007 Ranger Reata 210 - Mercury Optimax 225 (#1B446134) - 12' Talons
    Carbon12’s @ Bow w/ AT- live 12 w/ 3D & live 7 @ Helm

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowedin3 View Post
    Its surprising to me when people won't get the computer data. I'm not a mechanic but hooking up the computer seems like a very easy job - certainly easier than dropping a lower unit and pulling off T-stats.

Am I missing something? is there something hard about hooking up the computer software?
    No lie.

A computer wont Necessarily tell you the exact problem but it is just one more piece of info in the diagnostic process.

But when it had an alarm?! First step is freeze frame and history. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Snowedin3 View Post

Not hard at all. So easy I can do it and I'm not a marine mechanic.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

12. Member
    So, went out and tested boat, and guess what!!?? same alarm at WOT!!!! called the owner, and he said get it in right away, had it there last night. still no word.
    and yeah its totally easy to hook it to computer, aside from taking the cowl off, it takes 30 seconds to plug it in.

Quote Originally Posted by JaguarJim View Post
    So, went out and tested boat, and guess what!!?? same alarm at WOT!!!! called the owner, and he said get it in right away, had it there last night. still no word.
    and yeah its totally easy to hook it to computer, aside from taking the cowl off, it takes 30 seconds to plug it in.
    I would be expecting all diag time at no charge now
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be sure to report back on what the PRINTOUTS of the Run History and Freeze Frame (Fault) History show.
    ^^^^ Still recommending this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor