Sad sight seeing no fisherman on Ky Lake!

Took the pontoon boat Friday afternoon from Cypress creek all the way to Birdsong down south and only saw one boat fishing the entire 40 miles. Was out all weekend and saw four or five fishing at most the entire time. Been on this lake for 40 years and have never seen this few fishing.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiSS View Post
    Took the pontoon boat Friday afternoon from Cypress creek all the way to Birdsong down south and only saw one boat fishing the entire 40 miles. Was out all weekend and saw four or five fishing at most the entire time. Been on this lake for 40 years and have never seen this few fishing.
    It is very sad. I still go out for a couple of hours once a week or so for old times sake but never catch much and sometimes I am all alone at the North end above the dam.

This year might be the first year since the early 80's that I have not fished on Kentucky or Barkley. If I do not fish one of them this fall then a long run will be over.
    Ranger Forever

4. Member
    Fished from Carmack to Barnett Bay - hitting random spots (Stakes, Points, Rock, Offshore) for 7 hours Saturday AM/afternoon - and only really saw a couple other fishing boats. Had 3 bites and caught 2 fish - one Non-Keeper and a White bass. Worst was I had the first 2 bites and white bass in first 10 mins. I did see a few small bass chasing bait but it was super tough. Clearly not the best time of the year to try and catch anything but really wanted to get out and was the only time I could go...so I did. Hopefully the lakes will cycle back.

Good luck.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

5. Member
    If it wasn't for people just out riding, it would be like a cemetary.
    When I fished a lot, i wanted all these people to stay home. Now
    they have a reason, just like I do. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

6. Fishing is a Passion
    Is this all a result of the Carp or over fishing
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
    Is this all a result of the Carp or over fishing
    Numerous factors. carp, bad spawns, no vegetation in lake, fishing pressure. This time of year usually is super tough anyways.

Most fishermen try to stay home on hot holiday weekends, especially on Ky and Barkley

Quote Originally Posted by Team do work View Post
    Numerous factors. carp, bad spawns, no vegetation in lake, fishing pressure. This time of year usually is super tough anyways.
    Exactly correct.
    Ranger Forever

I fished the Paris area a couple of hours Friday afternoon and Saturday morning. Did see a few people fishing but nothing like in the past.
    Still plenty of pleasure boaters tho that has not slowed down.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

11. Member
    I have not dropped a hook since Nov of last year, ran the boat a couple times to keep the gas good, I have been every week since 1975 so my long spout is over for sure.

12. Member
    I was out north of new johnsonville having a ball. On the days they were pulling 40k plus the carp were off deeper and bass following shad hard. Pulling smallies spots and lm’s stopped counting at 25 though nothing over 2.5-3lbs. Site won’t let me post pic but I had one 13 inch spot cough up a shad about 9 inches long. Cursing myself for leaving glide bait box at home.

13. Member
    I went and bowfished below Barkley dam this past weekend. It is a sad sight. It looks light the Asian carp have ruined the area. There were dead carp everywhere and the water just stunk. I hope they find a way to get rid of them. They are dangerous. The area is so beautiful, just no fishermen.

14. Member
    Fished Barkley with a friend on 24th from 7am until 2pm out of Kuttawa ramp and fished south to Eddy Creek and some on LBL side. Saw a couple other boats but not much traffic at all except for a few pontoons. Ew managed 3 keepers, largest a 4.5 smallmouth. Only caught 6 total. Smallie came on top water early and rest came on spinnerbait, worm, and chatterbait. No takers on small crank baits or jigs. All fish were shallow roadbed bites. Tough!

15. bullyfish
    I love it got the whole lake to myself l hope it scared everybody away l went yesterday a watch a boat come all the the way across the lake and still jump a 100 feet in front of me never fails

16. Member
    I moved to Marion ky about 5 years ago for my retirement just because of the reputation of those lakes. I pounded those 2 lakes for 3 years. My best day was 15 bass. There was not many other lakes in the area to pick from. After 3 years of struggling i had enuf. Sold my house and moved to Alpena Mi area and havent looked back. The whitetail hunting was fabulous and I hated to give that up but i fish 8 months out of the year and bowhunt for a few weeks. When my time left on this planet is dwindling i just couldnt wait around for the lakes to make a turn around. I am lucky to have a wife that is easy going and lets me pull this kinda crap. As long as she has a place to call home she doesnt care where she lives. I had the perfect setup in Ky. Great house in the country with permission to bowhunt 500 acres and I was the only guy bowhunting. I still go back every year and hunt the rut for a week. But those 2 lakes wore me out. I could usually go fish a lake that I had never been to and caught more fish than I caught on ky or barkely. I fished with 2 guys that have fished those lakes their whole lives and could not explain what happened. I hope those carp dont ever make it into the great lakes.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dricha21 View Post
    I moved to Marion ky about 5 years ago for my retirement just because of the reputation of those lakes. I pounded those 2 lakes for 3 years. My best day was 15 bass. There was not many other lakes in the area to pick from. After 3 years of struggling i had enuf. Sold my house and moved to Alpena Mi area and havent looked back. The whitetail hunting was fabulous and I hated to give that up but i fish 8 months out of the year and bowhunt for a few weeks. When my time left on this planet is dwindling i just couldnt wait around for the lakes to make a turn around. I am lucky to have a wife that is easy going and lets me pull this kinda crap. As long as she has a place to call home she doesnt care where she lives. I had the perfect setup in Ky. Great house in the country with permission to bowhunt 500 acres and I was the only guy bowhunting. But those 2 lakes wore me out. I could usually go fish a lake that I had never been to and caught more fish than I caught on ky or barkely. I fished with 2 guys that have fished those lakes their whole lives and could not explain what happened. I hope those carp dont ever make it into the great lakes.
    I feel your pain, man. I am 72 and don't think I have enough time left to wait for a turn around. That being said, I am grateful for a lot of good years out on the Twins. Some days it feels like an old friend has died.

18. Member
    I live in clarksville and go fishing at KY lake with my dad once in awhile. Every time we go out its tough fishing. He mentions that the grass has been gone for about 4-5 years. Reading some posts from the old timers here is shocking. Sounds really depressing, esp to the people who have bought a house due to the reputation. To the guys who say they may not have enough time on earth to see it turn around. I'm sorry, wow I wish I could have been around when it was in its prime.