Appomattox River

Anyone here fish the Appomattox River from Hopewell up to Petersburg? Do you find the fishing better closer to Hopewell or Petersburg? Went today and fished the upper section towards Petersburg. Caught a couple dinks, had a couple decent followers to the boat on a swimbait. Nothing on a whopper plopper early. Talked with a few other boats and no one said they were doing much. Fished the outgoing tide from 7a-noon. Thanks for any tips....

2. Member
    Been boatless for the last few years, but the Appomattox can be decent for numbers. Every now and again quality fish, but in general, not near the quality of the lower end of the James or Chick. Lots of fish get released in Hopewell FWIW.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

I always did better very early spring and stayed out of there once the water started to warm and get hot. Fishing Addict where ya been?
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

4. Member
    If you fish the old quarry in Comstock it can be good. Getting to it can be difficult navigating up the Swift Creek. Once you pass just upstream/under 295 bridge at Appomattox you turn right at point of rocks then go up the creek. Very tricky as the bottom moves with the storms.

5. Member
    Thanks for the tips guys

6. Member
    I always preferred navigating into Comstock via the old river channel. Couple of skinny spots to watch out for along the way, but fewer wing dams, etc. Vs the Swift Creek route. Either way, know what the tide is doing as you CAN get stuck in there, especially on a moon tide.

Kevin, I still hang around here, just stay too busy with kids, grandkids, traveling for work, and projects around the house when not on the road. Sold the boat a few years ago so that someone would get use out of it as it became a trailer queen once my youngest kids hit HS. In fact, the last time I hit the water was about two years ago with Jeff B and his son.
    I'd Rather be Fishing

Well good to hear that you are still around. I guess with the construction boom you are swamped? I got promoted to Deputy FM and busy is not the right word. New staff and new duties makes for 12 hours days. Take care.
    2010 BassCat Cougar
    2010 Mercury 250 ProXS
    Minn Kota 36V/112
    Lowrance HDS 12's
    Hydrowave

8. Member
    I can't find "Comstock" on google maps. The first creek after Point of Rocks looks to go through a big mud flat.
    There is a "lake" area near Conjurers Neck, is this area any good to fish?
    White Bank boat ramp area on Swift Creek, worth fishing that area?
    I'm in a I/B jet boat so I can get thru some skinny water if necessary but I'm still mindful of the tides. I'm new to tidal water fishing, usually spend my time on the James from Bosher's Dam to Lynchburg.

9. Member
    I get there through Pi Alley

10. Member
    Looks like the Conjurers area is Comstock. Gonna give the area another try tomorrow before the winds pick up from Dorian.
    I've launched at Appo Boat Harbor, Roslyn the other day. May give White Bank a try tomorrow just to get familiar with the area.

11. Member
    I've always thought that White Bank area looked good, but other than going in a canoe, I have no way to get in there. Not putting the bass boat in there.... If you go, let us know how it went, if you found anything neat.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

12. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    I've always thought that White Bank area looked good, but other than going in a canoe, I have no way to get in there. Not putting the bass boat in there.... If you go, let us know how it went, if you found anything neat.
    I've put my z8 in there multiple times.. just mind the tide and go slow and you'll be fine.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

13. Member
    Launched at Roslyn so I can't give any info on White Bank...….yet. Hope to get back soon and I'll give it a try.
    Fished the old channel below the launch. Man that area looks fishy but nothing. Ran down and fished the "lake" area at Conjurers. 1 bass around 2lbs on a GP finesse worm. Fished the area pretty hard but the bite wasn't on. Fished Pi alley, nothing. Ran back up above the boat ramp and caught 1 bass around 3lbs on a swimbait.
    Fished from 8:30-1:00. Only saw one other boat at Conjurers and he didn't appear to be doing any better than me. I'll keep at it and learn the area better.

14. Member
    You caught some good sized fish for the Appomattox, keep at it! River rats are generally very tight lipped so, you’ll have a lot of experimentation to do throughout the various seasons and tides during each season.
    Best advice I will give is to slowly learn navigating the river on dead low tide, preferably with a full moon and the wind in the bay sucking the river dry. You’ll learn a TON in a trip or two. Just be sure you’ve got a buddy willing to come and pull you off a sandbar, or bring supplies to wait out the tide
    I'd Rather be Fishing

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Addict View Post
    You caught some good sized fish for the Appomattox, keep at it! River rats are generally very tight lipped so, you’ll have a lot of experimentation to do throughout the various seasons and tides during each season.
    Best advice I will give is to slowly learn navigating the river on dead low tide, preferably with a full moon and the wind in the bay sucking the river dry. You’ll learn a TON in a trip or two. Just be sure you’ve got a buddy willing to come and pull you off a sandbar, or bring supplies to wait out the tide
    Thank you sir!