Chautauqua lake advice and info

Hey guys i was hoping for some help, info and advice. I'll be camping at Chautauqua lake KOA this weekend with my wife and 5yr old son. We will only be there for 3 days and plan to fish some and also do some sight seeing. I was there several years ago and really dont remember much so any ideas on stuff to do would be great. My wife found some info on some caves we may go see 1 afternoon but other then that any suggestions would be nice. And if any one has any info on how the bass fishing has been lately that would be helpful also. I will probably launch out of long point. Any info on water clarity,temp or anything else helps. Im not picky smallmouth or large mouth just hope to catch a few fish and will most likely only fish a few hrs each morning.

2. Member
    I have about 45 days under my belt this summer fishing Chautauqua. The last week has been a challenge as the first cold fronts of the year have come through. Lots of brisk north or south east winds. I fished last Saturday and the water temp was 71.3. The largemouth bite has been great all year. Definately in my top 5 years (been here since 1983). The smallmouth bite has been horrible for me. I got some early and that's it. I had the great pleasure of fishing with Oh Ranger last Sunday. He got a small smallmouth and I had to ask him what it was since it has been while since I have seen one. He got the big fish of the day, a 2# 9 oz largemouth from a southern dock.

Docks always produce but they were even slow over the last 7-10 days. The southern end was sprayed for weeds in late May so the weed growth is sparse in the southern basin. Algae growth is quite mild this year. Southern end is a bit green but the northern end has remained clear all summer. Docks will start getting pulled slowly so hit them while you can. Standard dock fare, wacky worms, Super Flukes, jigs, plastics will work. Dock fish are heavily pressured so work behind docks and boat lifts. Don't be afraid to skip baits ultra shallow ( 1-2 dock sections from shore). The top water bite has been decent in the southern basin with the lack of weeds, But it has fallen off as well. Bemus Bay has always been a great producer for me, but it had fished tough for me all year. I got 90% of my fish in the southern basin.

It is supposed to to very cool over over the next week. Highs in the 60's this weekend. So be prepared for fog.

In terms of things to do, you have plenty of options. Along the Lake Erie shoreline are many wineries. Most charge a buck or two for tasting. My favorite is Johnson winery just west of Westfield. 21 Briq's is a good place as well. I assume the cave you are talking about is Panama Rocks. Great place, just be careful as there are steep fall dangers everywhere, not great for a 5 year old. Chautauqua Institution is always a great place to walk around to see Victorian homes and beautiful gardens. The National Comedy Center is a great new venue in Jamestown. Of course you can see Lucy's childhood home in Celeron and her grave in Lakeview Cemetery if you are a Lucy fan.

Any questions, fire away.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

3. Member
    Thank you very much for the info! We just decided last minute to try and get 1 last long weekend getaway before the youngest starts into kindergarten.

4. Member
    Wally has you covered for the fishing info. Here are a few things we like to do. Also have a 5 year old son. He already has 2 weeks of kindergarten under his belt.
    We did putt putt golf at Lakewood.
    I think Midway park is closed for the year.
    Nice playground in Bemus.
    Bemus Point Inn for breakfast.
    Hogans hut makes good breakfast sandwiches.
    Bemus point golf club, Ellicotville brewery and Andriaccios for dinner.
    I launch out of Bemus because I'm too cheap to pay long point $6.
    Good luck, let us know how you did.

5. Member
    Thanks OH ranger! Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we can make a nice weekend out of it. Putt putt is always at the top of his list of things to do, he plays with Grandpa everytime we visit them at their camper.

6. Member
    Lakewood Golf Center is pretty good layout. They are right along route 394 in Lakewood. 716-763-0224.

My camp buddies grandchildren like the Midway Park Putt Putt the best (Lakewood second). Call their number to see if they are open ((716) 386-3165).

There is also Webb's Putt Putt on the northern basin just south of Mayville. Good luck.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

7. Member
    Wow thats go above and beyond. Thank you for the info

8. Member
    Thanks again for the help guys! I just got the truck packed and ready to go. I'm going to work a half a day tomorrow then head out. Goodluck to anyone fishing this weekend!