Anybody add LED light to their RT?

Thinking I will add two 5' strips to the bow, one one each side and one 5' strip to the area under the console to the passenger seat, just under the molding of the front deck. I plan on using the "Interior Light" switch to operate them.

Any recommendations on what brand of light strip to use?

2. Member
    I've always used these guys: https://www.oznium.com

Thank you! I'll give them a look.

4. Member
    I've added lights to my 198P and went with the Blue Water kit. Its a bit of a pain in the ass as the 198P doesn't have access to run power wires into the gunnel. Most boats have access to power from the wiring which is located in the rod boxes. I ran my wires underneath the gunnel, but it isn't as clean an installation as I would like. Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by CBuckBassin View Post
    I've added lights to my 198P and went with the Blue Water kit. Its a bit of a pain in the ass as the 198P doesn't have access to run power wires into the gunnel. Most boats have access to power from the wiring which is located in the rod boxes. I ran my wires underneath the gunnel, but it isn't as clean an installation as I would like. Best of luck to you!
    Thanks for the tip.
    I think I may be able to run the wire where the deck and the front bow come together. Look like there is a gap there and MAYBE enough room to run those wires. I ran a couple of extra wires from the helm to the bow when I rigged some additional accessories. (Fish Finder, Removable head light, ...)
    I too was thinking about under the gunnel.
    Thanks again for the heads up!

6. Member
    I used bluewater strips in the compartments and on the deck. I used the interior switch for the compartment lights and I had a blank that I used for the deck lights. Basically just wired them all together in a chain and ran it to the switch. Pulling out all of the compartments helped immensly. I used a bunch of the zip tie anchors to keep everything nice and neat under the deck. It was a royal PITA and took probably about 12 total hours but it turned out nice and neat.

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Thanks for the tip.
    I think I may be able to run the wire where the deck and the front bow come together. Look like there is a gap there and MAYBE enough room to run those wires. I ran a couple of extra wires from the helm to the bow when I rigged some additional accessories. (Fish Finder, Removable head light, ...)
    I too was thinking about under the gunnel.
    Thanks again for the heads up!
    Hey Bob, there are a couple questions for you on the Post Pictures of your Tin forum, regarding your Nav Light install...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

I purchased alot of bluewater products for the old boat and was very happy with the quality and brightness of them. I never had any diodes go out or anything and i really liked their small switched and installation parts too.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Added these LED Lights: Nilight TR-05 60" 2PCS 60'' 180 LEDs Bed Strip Kit with Waterproof on/Off Switch Blade Fuse 2-Way Splitter Extension Cable for Cargo, Pickup Truck, SUV, RV, Boat (White Light)

One strip under the gunnel (interior) on each side of the bow and one strip across the the the front deck just below the molding trim to light up the console bay. All three strips and the original light, work off the "Interior Light Switch".

Saving one strip as a spare.

Down side was after cleaning the surface with Stoners Glass Cleaner and then wiping it with Alcohol, the tape did not stick. Had to add another run of Super Sticky 2-sided tape to make them stick in place.

Now when we fish at 4 in the morning, we have lights to see what we need to tie on!

CONSOLE LED'S ON THE LIP IS PRETTY COOL
    2013 Pre-Johnny Ranger RT 178
    115 PRO XS
    Due to the increase of ammunition prices... There will be no warning shots
    Honda certified Master technician 33 Years

Finally got a chance to use the new lights.
    IMG_2582.JPG

12. Member
    Mine looked similar. Used some strips from amazon. If I remember correctly they were no more that $9-12. Hooked them to one of the empty switches on the dash. Might have used them twice out fishing. I (and others) thought they looked cooler than were useful. Guess I didn’t fish at night enough. Idk.

The gunnel makes it a great great spot for install.

I tied my into the "Interior Light" switch and used a relay for the additional power to run the three sets of lights. The spare switch I use to run a Removable Headlight for running in the dark.
    I did it to serve a purpose. Where we fish, we get broken off frequently due to Oysters and Barnacles.

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    ...Where we fish, we get broken off frequently due to Oysters and Barnacles.
    What the "F" are you fishing for there Barnacle Bob?

Pardon my ignorance and language...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

The guy I fish with we call it "Dawn Patrol". We have found some docks, at an undisclosed location, off the Intercoastal Water Way, Salt Water, with major currents, that we can catch some quality Red Drum and Speckled Trout before any light hits the horizon. As soon as there is the least bit of light, bite shuts off. Throwing around the pilings, very narrow slots, we get broke off frequently.
    Don't know if you ever fished for Red Drum, but it is just like Bass Fishing, but those things have some shoulders and will put a hurt'n on you compared to a LMB.
    Set your drag with a hammer! Otherwise, the fish wins!

16. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    sounds like fun!!

so, off topic again momentarily, is the the RT performing well for you in those situations / conditions?

Hey - one more question - where do you get all of your parts i.e. wire, splices, terminals, terminal strips, relays, switches, etc...? I assume you are using marine grade components...
    Last edited by King_Fish; 10-01-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Yes the RT is working well. But then again I needed a boat with NO carpet, NO wood on the decks, and need the 112# trolling motor. That why the Xpress, G3, and Ranger all fit the criteria for what I needed. Also that is why my Z518 Intracoastal was a great fit.

In addition to my regular Engineering Jobs, I had a business here in Wilmington NC as a Mobile Marine Mechanic. (Two kids in college and I like to eat!) Dealing with salt water conditions is a whole different level than those with fresh water. So yes, to the tinned wire, connectors, and dielectric grease frick'n everywhere! I have past account with a local suppliers here Lighthouse Marine and Trailer. Also West Marine has those items too.

Taking the lower unit off the motor today, just to grease the bolts and shaft splines. Boat is 8 months old and I need to get those items protected. All my marine toys are greased, anti-seized, coated, well, are dripping lubrication!

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Thank you.... You are on your A-Game brother!

I will use West Marine most likely when I get around to doing my stuff, first on my list is LED Nav lights. They look really good, are effective and for some reason that stinking Nav post light is a royal pain in the butt!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

Here is what us salt water guys deal with. I can only imagine those poor guys down if FL, it must really suck for them. After 6-8 months use in fresh, brackish, and saltwater. Washed or at least rinsed and flushed after each salt and brackish water use. Hence, why all my is dripping grease. Following me is like swimming next to the Exxon Valdez!
    Lower unit.JPG