Youghiogheny Dam 9-2-19

What can I say about today? I don't think I can come up with the right words.

Last night I was going to fish today then I wasn't, then I was. So I set the alarm clock for 5:30AM. I wanted to be home by noon so if I really wanted to fish I had to get to the lake early.

I was the second boat in the water launching again at the breast. The temperature was great around 72 and the water temperature was around 77. No fog today. The first thing I noticed was no boat traffic, just one bass boat fishing up from the swimming area.

Today I wanted to try some new places so I headed south under the RT 40 bridge but not into Maryland. I could not get over the lack of boat traffic. I noticed just that one bass boat, and a father and son fishing under the bridge and that was it all day. Maybe and I will say maybe i saw another 12 boats and a few jet skiers the whole day.

The lake is still drawing down changing the fishing spots quickly. New shallows, extended shoals, new mini points, just everything new as far as features and structures. It is like fishing a new lake. Old hotspots are high and dry. But for everything that disappears new opportunities open up.

I found what I would call a mini point with now shallow water. Prior to the draw down you couldn't see it and today I would bet everyone wouldn't even give it the time of day. I positioned the boat in water that ran between 7 and 10 feet. Then I noticed the bait fish jumping. I was casting towards the bank. Even my best casts were falling about 5 feet from the shore line into water that was between 5 and 2 feet.

I had my first fish in about 15 mins. I was using the same blue Senko that has worked for me all year. I really crawled it with some weight over the bottom. I worked it so slow it was almost boring. The bottom was rocky and I could feel each pebble, stone and rock. Now the bite is not aggressive. In fact you will just all a sudden feel some dead weight. In fact you first instinct will be you think your hung up.

I caught a total of 8 bass and each one engulfed my Senko. Two so deep that I had to bring them home. Not a bad thing but I can't tell you how much I hated having to fillet fish after I come home. The wife will be happy as she complains I never bring any home for dinner.

In any event that is what worked today. Just remember most people will see the draw down and think it's going to be hard to fish. However now is time to find those features that you have been flying by and over prior to the draw down. In any event it has been a fun three days. I did take a couple of photos today to share, nothing special.

2. Member
    nice smallies

3. Member
    I had a good day on the water too this weekend. You won't get "LIKES" on here for the story. That's for Facebook.