Hurricane Dorian

Well, it looks like another hurricane taking aim at our coastal sounds and rivers. Hopefully this thing will take an eastwardly turn away for our sounds and rivers and there won't be a lot of flooding resulting in extensive damage to peoples home and another blow to fishing downeast. Seems like things are just returning to normal downeast.

2. Banned
    If it comes up the coast it will surely blow all the salt water up into the rivers for sure.

3. Member
    With all the hurricanes we have had lately North Carolina has become the new Florida. Some of my favorite rivers took a small hit with Matthew but a worse one with Florence. Between the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic ocean there are a total of four systems with some probability of development at this time. Climatologist and Meteorologist states more and stronger storms are going to be the new norm.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

4. Member
    If it blows in over about a two foot storm surge ,the outflow will kill the fish for sure. Low O2 is what kills the fish,salt water not so much but they will move inland to escape it if it gets too salty.I think there is more bass in the Albemarle system now since back in the seventies,I sure hope they don’t die.

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    With all the hurricanes we have had lately North Carolina has become the new Florida. Some of my favorite rivers took a small hit with Matthew but a worse one with Florence. Between the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic ocean there are a total of four systems with some probability of development at this time. Climatologist and Meteorologist states more and stronger storms are going to be the new norm.
    We in Wilmington NC have had a bunch more Hurricane direct hits than FL in the past 25 years. I have had at least 7 eyes pass over my house in the past 25 years and don't know how many near misses.
    You must have not been here for Fran or Floyd.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    And it's not from human induced climate change, It's a cycle, it's been going on for hundreds of thousands of years. It's not a coincidence that the shape of our east coast is the way it is, look at the path it's taking and how many times have we seen this same path, these storms have been chewing at our coastline long before we ever existed. If the truth be known, I bet there were much more violent storms in the past.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    We in Wilmington NC have had a bunch more Hurricane direct hits than FL in the past 25 years. I have had at least 7 eyes pass over my house in the past 25 years and don't know how many near misses.
    You must have not been here for Fran or Floyd.
    Yes I was here for Fran, Floyd and Hugo as well. Bertha hit in September of 1996 and Fran hit two months later. Hazel came through a couple of years before I was born. My dad worked for the phone company in Elizabethtown at the time. I remember him telling me about climbing telephone poles just after the storm making repairs. He said he had several snake encounters when he got to the top of the poles where they took residence during high water.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

8. Banned
    I was here when Hazel came. The only CAT 5 to ever make landfall. Do not remember a whole lot though. Was only a couple months old..............

9. Member
    When Fran hit that was the longest night of my life.

10. Member
    Bertha was July 12 1996 and Fran was September 5 1996

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw62 View Post
    When Fran hit that was the longest night of my life.
    You and me both brother. We were living in a trailer,saving money to build a house,so went to a friends house in town. There was hundreds of big oaks and pines blown down in our town and when they hit the ground you could feel the ground shake.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rclark1 View Post
    Bertha was July 12 1996 and Fran was September 5 1996
    Dennis came through about a week before Fran and saturated the ground. That’s one reason Fran blew down so many trees.