Transom Repair / Resin?

Anyone done a resin transom repair? If so what products do you recommend?

2. Member
    I did a transom repair on my javelin 396xd.
    I used 2 part epoxy mix. Resin is ok but long-term exposure to water and it will get wet. Epoxy is what I used and results were great. Epoxy resin is more expensive. I used fiberglass 45 degree biaxial cloth. Hope this helps.

What brand did you use?

4. Member
    1998 Nitro, I used Seacast. The support they have is great. Gave them my measurements and they provided me the amount I would need. It has a 45 minute work time then sets in about 1 hr.
    Seacast.com
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seacast in mine. Solid as a rock
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

6. Member
    I used Jamestown brand

7. Member
    It was a company out of florida where i got my two part epoxy from.

8. Member
    I have used seacast and Sabine and Bruce at Seacast are absolutely Awesome.
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deno300 View Post
    1998 Nitro, I used Seacast. The support they have is great. Gave them my measurements and they provided me the amount I would need. It has a 45 minute work time then sets in about 1 hr.
    Seacast.com
    How did you get the wood out all the way to the sides, and then seal it back up to use seacast? I am about to take on the same project. Can I stop removing wood outside of the center area, prep somehow, and then pour seacast? I appreciate any help!
    I have a boat.

10. Member
    Most of the wood was already gone when I cut the top of the transom off. The little wood that was left I was able to pry it out in pieces with a flat bar. The only area I was concerned with was the seacast leaking into the sponsoons area. I was able to seal that by stuffing fiberglass mat in the hole. When I pored the seacast I used a wooden dowel rod the size of the transom so I could push the seacast into each side. By doing this I knew I was able to fill the entire transom area solid. From talking with the people from seacast they don't recommend doing just the area where he motor bolts on and more than likely wont sell you such a small amount.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deno300 View Post
    Most of the wood was already gone when I cut the top of the transom off. The little wood that was left I was able to pry it out in pieces with a flat bar. The only area I was concerned with was the seacast leaking into the sponsoons area. I was able to seal that by stuffing fiberglass mat in the hole. When I pored the seacast I used a wooden dowel rod the size of the transom so I could push the seacast into each side. By doing this I knew I was able to fill the entire transom area solid. From talking with the people from seacast they don't recommend doing just the area where he motor bolts on and more than likely wont sell you such a small amount.
    Deno,

How far did you go out to the sides? Your transom should go all the way across so you had to stop somewhere? I could really use your insight on this in more detail if you are willing? I have started gutting mine. It was in pretty good shape but completely saturated with water. If you don't mind, check your inbox for my phone number. Or we can chat here. Thanks!!
    I have a boat.

12. Member
    never heard of seacast and was about to cut my transom out and replace with wood... mine is pretty much wood mush.... looks like i can use seacast and only worry about getting at the transom (stringers are ok) from the inside of the boat and rebuild the interior fiberglass via a mold and then pour seacast?

13. Member
    Not to redirect but when a transom arrives here that is mush, (I love to get those) they are the easiest to skin, remove what is left of the wood, epoxy in Coosa 26 replacement panels, epoxy skin back on, then repair cut in skin. I turn a mush transom around in a couple of weeks. You see exactly the quality of the repair first hand. Also your repair will never de-laminate. Most of the pictures I have doing this is on Center Console saltwater boats so I don't post here.

14. Member
    SeaCats is good, you don’t want to dump resin in there. I worked on a boat that a dealer dumped right Erin into, it got so hot that it melted the gel coat, it was stupid hot, You could see the sagging of the gel coat on the transom.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Not to redirect but when a transom arrives here that is mush, (I love to get those) they are the easiest to skin, remove what is left of the wood, epoxy in Coosa 26 replacement panels, epoxy skin back on, then repair cut in skin. I turn a mush transom around in a couple of weeks. You see exactly the quality of the repair first hand. Also your repair will never de-laminate. Most of the pictures I have doing this is on Center Console saltwater boats so I don't post here.
    I’d post a few .... I would think most guys are interested in the work no matter what kinda boat.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

16. Member
    I used arjay 6011 similar to seacast but shipping was alot cheaper. Transom is solid as a rock now .

17. Member
    SeaCast is good. You don’t want to dump resin into a cavity the size of a transom, it gets way to hot.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

18. Member
    Once seacast is full in transom do you just put your top cap yu cut off on and let dry in the seacast or you put fiberglass cloth on first