Thread: Dropshot NED

Dropshot NED

Any of you other smallmouth guys ever put the finesse TRD on a dropshot?

2. Member
    I personally haven’t tried it but I’m sure it would catch some fish. Not going to have much “action” but should have some darting movement. I guess it’s worth a try. If you’re looking for something that is durable I like the Z-Man Trick Shotz. Has the elaztech durability with some great action. Has that gobie/baitfish profile

Yep. Works ok. My go to for pulling smallies off beds in the spring - pink TRD on a dropshot.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Can't say I've done it, but I have planned to and will when the current DS bait finally falls off the curly bait keeper thingy.

There are a bunch of small plastic lures that will interchange between NED and Dropshot. 3" Stick-O, SK's Bitsy Bug craw trailer, Roboworm and Zoom NED baits, Zoom's "Tiny Brush Hog", etc. BPS even has a fork tailed NED Stick-o thing much like a Zoom Fluke Stick. Showing them something different can be just what they want!
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

5. Member
    Ive used it as the weight with good success.

I'm wanting to try the new TRD Bugz on a drop shot, should be a great bluegill imitator. I've not thrown the TRD much, mostly because it's thick size necessitates a bigger hook than I usually have tied on my drop shot and changing hooks out is a pain. Where's Swindle to lecture me on being lazy and having things pre-rigged?
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

What about using a ned rig as the bottom weight on a dropshot rig...mind blown

Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Wish it was legal here!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    I've had more success using a normal weight and putting multiple baits up the line, usually a craw on the lowest and minnow imitators on the higher up.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Wish it was legal here!
    Why isn't it legal? How does the regulation read? All ours says is 3 hooks max and a treble hook only counts as one hook.

I have used a 1/8 oz mushroom Ned head, but IMO that's not heavy enough for any depth where I'm likely to want to DS. So, I question the idea of using a NED on the bottom of a DS.

To correct my last post, it doesn't seem logical to DS a craw shaped bait. Mostly wanted to point out that there are small baits out there that will work for NED use, instead of buying NED specific stuff. I'd certainly DS a tube and it would be sensible to use a tube on the bottom and may as well use one up top, too. I'm ashamed (almost) to say that I have yet to try DS with a Shakyhead on the bottom. That rod has been busy and doesn't have line I want to use for DS on the reel, so.....
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.