Thread: Sharrow Props

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sharrow Props

What are your thoughts on it?
    seems like the helix buzzbait blade, which had gotten some interesting reviews.
    I wonder how this prop will handle torque and getting on plane ?

Quote Originally Posted by BassinJax View Post
    What are your thoughts on it?
    seems like the helix buzzbait blade, which had gotten some interesting reviews.
    I wonder how this prop will handle torque and getting on plane ?
    "Sharrow".......is that Japanese for "Shallow"? (I'm terrible!)

Helix Buzz

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

4. Member
    Dont know if you can see this but this is the prop I am referring to. scientificvalidation.png

5. Member
    icon-rec.pngOver the past 6+ years, extensive testing data collected at the University of Michigan’s Marine Hydrodynamics Laboratory, along with results from internal CFD and FEA analysis have been collected and analyzed by Sharrow Engineering. Additionally, Sharrow Engineering implemented a rigorous in-water test program using manned vessels in lakes, rivers, and bays. Results from this extensive research program demonstrate that the Sharrow Propeller is 9%-15% more efficient than the industry standard Wageningen B-series design. The SHARROW PROPELLER™ also exhibits a wider peak efficiency curve for greater utility over a wide scope of operational ranges. Additionally, The SHARROW PROPELLER™ generates more thrust and uses less energy for a given RPM than a standard propeller design, which increases acceleration dramatically. EFFICIENCY GAINS OF THIS MAGNITUDE ARE GAME CHANGING FOR THE GLOBAL PROPELLER INDUSTRY WHERE 1% IS CONSIDERED SUBSTANTIAL. Testing methodology and results were independently analyzed, reviewed and validated by Applied Universal Engineering of San Diego, CA and HS Marine Propulsion of Ocean Springs, MS.

Yep, Don't know if you can see it... A copy of the buzzbait blade..

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Yep, Don't know if you can see it... A copy of the buzzbait blade..

I wonder how it runs on an outboard or if you will feel the difference

Wonder how well that would hold up to surfacing applications?
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

9. Member
    In theory its a solid idea, but will have to wait on real world testing, pricing, and durability to see if it is a big enough improvement to be worth the cost. Interesting to see someone challenging the norm and trying something different with outboard props (if you go to their facebook page the testing they did was with a 150 mercury fourstroke).
    2019 Nitro Z-18 DC
    Mercury 150 Pro-XS 4-Stroke 23 Fury

10. Member
    Er $2k a prop? Which of the pros is going to be the first sponsored by them evangelising about how good it is and really worth the price?

11. Member
    seen a tv show about it--was impressive
    Last edited by mactlman; 05-20-2020 at 07:19 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    I'm sure the science behind it is solid and it works but the initial cost and potential repair cost will be prohibitive to most.

13. Member
    I love a helix buzz on hot mornings. The prop... We'll see. Lol

They are too expensive until this generation to come for anyone to risk playing with on a bass boat. The new production techniques will make them closer to affordable and more able to do some testing with one of us.

Here's the thing that gets me with these. They claim X% better than standard tech. Let's say that's true....what does it really mean?

Here's how I see it: With a given pitch, you can only theoretically move so far for each revolution and it physically can't be better than that. We'd call that 0% slip. A good setup has what, less than 10% slip? Call it 10% so the numbers are easy. Then say the new props are 20% "better" (can't remember their claim, though I think it was less than 20%). A 20% improvement would get us down to 8% slip. It sounds like a lot when you say "20% better", but in the grand scheme, what difference is that? Maaaaybe 1 mph?

I could be missing something here, maybe a boat can turn a much larger pitch prop with the new style or something. I won't be a guinea pig though!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

16. Member
    I watched a video a while back that Boattest.com did comparing the Sharrow prop to a traditional SS prop. The results were interesting and their testing did show that the prop did do certain things better than a traditional prop, but because the Sharrow is so expensive I doubt you'll see many bass boats using them until the price comes way, way down.

17. Member
    I would be concerned about the durability of such an expensive prop on a bass boat.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Helix Buzz

I've had a lot of luck with that bait!!

19. Member
    I have slung ears off of my bravo props more times than I care to think, I can only imagine this thing would disintegrate.
    2018 Ram Big Horn Crew With "CUMMINS POWER"
    2016 Bullet 21 XRD 250 PRO XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    Lowrance
    Garmin
    Bravo XS Prop
    Bobs Hyd. 14" Plate

I saw the video a few months back also. Like someone said, was on a 150. I'd like to see it on a bullet, allison or another go-fast boat (not the bay boat used in test) with there RPM's are screaming and see how it holds up.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast