Mercury 50 2 stroke water pump

1st post folks. I have a 2009 mercury 50 horse 2 stroke outboard on a Triton Ambush
    it was put in the barn and not used for three years. Ya I know no fishin for three yrs.
    the last fuel run through it had Stabil in it. Recently got it out and have been fishing
    some small lake close to home without firing the mercury , just using the trolling motor.
    Yesterday I went to Lake Malone 1 hr from my home started fishing never started the merc
    till time to go. Before I left she got 4 gallons of fresh fuel. Plugged in the fuel line pumped
    up the bulb and after a few spins she started and ran fine. Looked to see if she was squirtin
    water out the back and it was but just for a minute. Then it stopped. The intakes are clear
    what are the chances mud duabers clogged up from where I can see? Where is the water
    pump? Is this something I can change, clean out without disassembleing something major?
    Model # 1050412fd
    Serial # 1B746858

2. Member
    Dirt daubers usually only nest in the pee hole outlet but you never know. The water pump is inside the lower unit at the base of the drive shaft. You’ll have to remove the LU to access it then remove the pump housing. It has a rubber impeller and the impeller will take a set over time causing it to not pump. It’s not all that hard to repair if you have some mechanical ability and a shop manual is a big help. I would also pull the thermostat and at least verify that it is opening. I would not run this engine until you have made these repairs,excess heat will kill that engine real quick.

3. Member
    Seals or gaskets between lower unit and above?

4. Member
    no sir drops right off
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Soooooo. Dropped the lower unit took the pump housing off everything looked pretty clean. Gonna order impeller kit gasketswhatever comes in the kit. Impeller doesn’t look bad but gonna replace. Owners manual says replace every 3years or 300 hours. Gonna be safe. On another note the mercury parts look up is bonkers, maybe because I’m on a phone and not a pc. Is it possible it just sat so long it dried out and lost prime? Anyhow thanks for the help guys. Came from a farm family so workin on stuff is an everyday thing.

6. Member
    Most likely the rubber vanes took a set like Rip Bass mentioned above, 3yrs in the same position is not good for impellers. Were it my engine, I'd do ALL the recommended annual maintenance items as well as any that fall under the 3yr or 300hrs whichever comes first. You know 3yrs have passed so that covers everything from 3yrs/300hrs down. I'd pull the thermostat/s and check as well. Best way to protect the engine and ensure good longevity.

Joe54 does telltale from thermostat on this engine (I don't know)?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    no sir does not but it does have one
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    no sir does not but it does have one
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Member
    Hey guys I I picked up a water pump kit , thermostat gasket and gear oil
    and installed the kit and changed lower unit oil. The thermostat looked ok
    so reinstalled with new gasket. Everything went well. Made a little mess with
    the gear oil but got it done. I really appreciate your time and knowledge
    will test her out this weekend. Thank you.

10. Member