Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos_hand View Post
    Is that a free account or a monthly account type?
    i believe the correct answer is - Yes. I think there are both free and paid subscriptions but both require a login... I think.

2. Member
    Well got the chip in and did the update on it and went fishing this morning and the card was wiped out. What a piece of junk

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperBon View Post
    I’ve been deciding which to go with as well. Northern California.
    Was leaning towards the C-maps but not sure yet. Running a live unit on the console.
    Can anybody in this region chime in? Thanks
    Lived out there and fished the delta and varioius lakes. The Navionics was the best for me. I did the Navionics+ West and it worked perfect. It was accurate and had the lakes included..
    2017 Triton TRX 179
    Mercury 115 Pro XS CT (Hyrdraulic Steering/Hot Foot and Trim on Steer)
    Minn-Kota Ultrex 80 w/I-Pilot Link
    Lowrance HDS9 Carbon Bow/Console with Structure Scan 3D (Thru Hull, Structure Scan xdcr, HDI on TM) and Point-1,
    Blue Water LED boat lighting

Quote Originally Posted by jaymaharg View Post
    Lived out there and fished the delta and varioius lakes. The Navionics was the best for me. I did the Navionics+ West and it worked perfect. It was accurate and had the lakes included..
    How is the shading aspect of the latest Navionics chip?

Bon G
    2006 Z21 W/ 250 VERADO

5. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    OK...let's see if we can clear a few things up to reduce the confusion a bit....

1> Navionics Plus (or a regional card if you prefer) will have most ALL lakes in the US/Canada with some form of mapping. Most of this data is generated from topo maps and augmented by the **FEW** boats they have put on the water as well as some of the submissions from anglers. This card will have the MOST info and cover the widest range of lakes...but not particularly accurate.

2> Lake Master has highly detailed scans of many lakes (not all!!!!) and the same type of info as Navionics in the unscanned lakes. But...it only runs on Humminbird units and is getting a little dated in some area. This was the best map card available for a long time. We even had pros come in and have us install HB units in their Lowrance sponsored boats for some tournaments (under the console). Still has the most HD lakes of any other brand.

3> C-Map has a couple of different options which is where the confusion comes in. In general, the non-precision regional C-Map cards are at best similar to Navionics...and while they are currently being updated (computer generated updates - not on the lake scanning), are no more accurate than the Navionics.

HOWEVER....the Precision HD cards which are currently only available for AL, TN, NC, and SC (available in Jan), are the most accurate mapping cards available - as long as it covers the states/lakes you fish. Not all lakes in a state have been scanned....just the key lakes. The unscanned lakes have basically the Navionics level of precision.

These Precision HD cards are being generated state by state with the C-Map scanning team and it will take some time (a LOT of time) for them to get out of the Southeast and on to other parts of the country. GA is expected to be the next state targeted after they finish with SC. There is also going to be an update process for the existing Precision HD maps as new lakes (like Eufaula) get scanned.

So for now, if you fish outside the states mentioned for the Precision HD, you need a Navionics (we suggest the Plus which covers all lakes in the US and Canada). However, IF an C-Map Precision is available for your state....run do not walk and pick one up...it is pretty awesome!

Roy

6. Member
    Roy, when Cmap surveyed Kentucky Lake last winter do you know if they did the whole lake or only the Tennessee end?
    i live just south of the border at Paris Landing and I’d hate to buy the chip and find out it only covers the south end of the lake.

7. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider58 View Post
    Roy, when Cmap surveyed Kentucky Lake last winter do you know if they did the whole lake or only the Tennessee end?
    i live just south of the border at Paris Landing and I’d hate to buy the chip and find out it only covers the south end of the lake.
    Not Barkley but the whole of KY lake. Policy is to scan all of border lakes....they do not cut off at the state line. You will be OK....

Enjoy!

8. Member
    These Precision HD cards are being generated state by state with the C-Map scanning team and it will take some time (a LOT of time) for them to get out of the Southeast and on to other parts of the country.
    ya, i'll take this job thank you

9. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    ya, i'll take this job thank you
    well...think of mowing a never-ending yard...

and most of it at an idle...in the heat, rain, snow, bugs, jet skis, etc.

maybe if I were 20 again and loved pb&j sandwiches 3 times a day.....������

10. Member
    One of my retirement dreams consists of scanning multiple un-scanned Canadian lakes.

Just tell me where to sign up

11. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    One of my retirement dreams consists of scanning multiple un-scanned Canadian lakes.

Just tell me where to sign up
    you are the man!

12. Member
    Roy can you tell us about the differences in scanning equipment that C-Map is using compared to what Lakemaster used? Having not seen a HD C-Map (I live in Texas) I have no idea as to the detail that C-Map brings us fisherman compared to what we have with Navionics and Lakemaster. Can you share with us the differences in detail and quality between C-Map and Lakemaster? thanks

13. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    The differences are not necessarily the onboard equipment but rather the overall scanning methods and the system used to process and extrapolate the data. Basically the process uses the same type of 2D transducer that we all have with speed limits and controlled spacing.

the logs are processed along with other data (such as lake level) by a seriously powerful computer program.

There are SONAR arrays that can collect the same level detail 2.5 times faster but the equipment runs about $70K per boat and requires serious onsite skills. Given the shear scope of the scanning tasks, I am not sure how it will ever be completed without such technology...but that’s a lot of map cards!

i think that John (fishton) has a potentially more cost effective solution using his autonomous scanning vehicle. It is a monumental task either way.

14. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    In terms of quality (which I neglected to address), the c-map HD cards are literally the best money can buy. Understand that 99% of what we had for mapping cards were/are generated from topo maps and reprocessed to extrapolate 1 ft contours. What made LakeMaster so good was they did the same thing that C-Map is doing now - putting boats on the water.

The primary advantage of c-map over lakemaster is they are typically more recent....not to mention that they run on Lowrance since lakemaster will not.

Garmin is also starting to put boats out on the water but I suspect the general Navionics product they offer for use in other brands will likely not benefit....just guessing.

Regardless....the creation of really accurate nautical maps is time consuming and expensive. The marketplace will have to decide the true value.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post
    In terms of quality (which I neglected to address), the c-map HD cards are literally the best money can buy. Understand that 99% of what we had for mapping cards were/are generated from topo maps and reprocessed to extrapolate 1 ft contours. What made LakeMaster so good was they did the same thing that C-Map is doing now - putting boats on the water.

The primary advantage of c-map over lakemaster is they are typically more recent....not to mention that they run on Lowrance since lakemaster will not.

Garmin is also starting to put boats out on the water but I suspect the general Navionics product they offer for use in other brands will likely not benefit....just guessing.

Regardless....the creation of really accurate nautical maps is time consuming and expensive. The marketplace will have to decide the true value.
    Garmin has had boats on the water since at least 2015. Saw'em multiple times on Amistad... Thought then that I'm gonna have to get Garmin but then I never heard about or saw their boats on the water since.

16. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    I am sure they have had many of their product testing boats out for a long time but, per our Garmin contacts, they have started their inland mapping project up more recently. I suspect some of this has to do with their acquisition of Navionics and the need to have competitive offerings to C-Map HD and LakeMaster.

Bottom line is that over the next few years we are going to have access to some pretty good tools....

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarrow View Post

Bottom line is that over the next few years we are going to have access to some pretty good tools....
    Yup! The only down side is... it appears to own any of their gear winning the lottery may be mandatory!

18. Wacky Riggers / BBC SPONSOR rbarrow's Avatar
    I would just lose the ticket.

19. Member
    So now C-MAP is part of HDs live and I fish Toledo Bend, but are there updates to get better contour lines available?

20. Member
    I went to renew my yearly subscription on my navionics platinum card this morning. I love the shaded relief overlay feature.
    Yeah I know, the price of everything is going up. I have about had it too. $140+ to renew?
    Come on man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast