Z20 speed issue--newest update--need advice

So originally the boat would only run at 57 mph with a 250 4 stroke mercury pro xs. Took it in for the 10 hour check, and oil change. Picked it up and it would only run at 62mph with 2 people, no tackle and half tank of fuel. Took it back again. They did whatever they did. Picked it up again, and it ran with 1 person, no tackle, very little gas, at 78 mph. I know everyone called BS. But, that's what it did.

Loaded the boat with tackle and equipment. and 40 plus gallons of gas. Wasn't impressed with speed. 71 with one person. But, it only did that speed one time. The rest of the runs between spots it would only run 69. To me that was unacceptable.

Fished the next day with two people. Same gas and very little addition in load for equipment. Top speed was only 66. On different runs between spots speed would vary at 63 to 66 mph. No wakes and waves to stop full speed runs between spots. Really not happy.

Went fishing the next day. Same two people, with a little less equipment. Top speed on initial run was 65 mph. Running back in,the top speed was 63-64 mph. So back to the mechanic it goes. He puts the computer on it, and takes it for a test run with a another mechanic.

He claims he got 72 on the initial run out. But coming back in it was only 67. Pulled the boat out and looks at the data from the computer. Changed fuel filter, and plugs. He made another run. Same speeds but a 6 mph variance. Waves and wakes and wind not an issue either direction. He can't explain the speed differences. Looked at the data again. It appears that everything is running and operating at 100%. Some times the bow would get plenty of lift, then next time it wouldn't. He found the best way to run the motor was at full lift down, trimming to full trim, and bumping engine height to 4 inches up, until losing speed and increasing rpms. Then bumping down the trim a couple of bumps and the boat would take off, SOMETIMES. He said that was not acceptable to him. That is not what you should have to do, to get the boat to run correctly. But, it wouldn't run the same speed, two runs in a row.

So he is sending the run report to mercury to get their advice. But, we are now thinking that I have a bad hull. What do we look for in a hooked hull? It has been very frustrating. I have had the boat three months and have never had it perform the way it should, with exception of the test run, with no weight in the boat. I need help with ideas.

Researching hooked hulls, it seems that this was a common occurrence in performance.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS
    2019 nitro z20, mercury pro xs 250 four stroke

2. Member
    If you hit 78 once, I can't see the hull being an issue. What RPM are you running with the different speeds?

3. Member
    Same rpm, give or take. 6050 to 6150 rpm. 23 and 24 pitch, 3 blade fury. No real difference in performance. When I had the fast speed, there was nothing in the boat, and less than 8 gallons of fuel. So I had about 35 more gallons of fuel, and maybe 100 pounds of gear. 6 planos and some mafia bags of plastics, with all of my rods.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

4. Member
    Are you using speedo or gps for speed reading? I can't see how the hull has anything to do with speed fluctuation. Seems if that was the problem it would always be a problem.

5. Member
    GPS on humminbird, and hand held aeronautical GPS. Motor was running at peak output.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

6. Member
    When you hit the high speeds do you recall how you were trimmed? My Nitro Z6 is a whole different world but how it is trimmed makes for a a speed difference 0f 20 MPH. Saying that, my RPM changes with speed.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jboutfishn View Post
    When you hit the high speeds do you recall how you were trimmed? My Nitro Z6 is a whole different world but how it is trimmed makes for a a speed difference 0f 20 MPH. Saying that, my RPM changes with speed.
    3 inches high on jackplate, full trim. Again no load in boat.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

8. Member
    Just a shot in the dark, but maybe your trim hydraulics is not working correctly and 'sagging'. Do you have a hydraulic jack plate?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wichibass View Post
    Same rpm, give or take. 6050 to 6150 rpm. 23 and 24 pitch, 3 blade fury. No real difference in performance. When I had the fast speed, there was nothing in the boat, and less than 8 gallons of fuel. So I had about 35 more gallons of fuel, and maybe 100 pounds of gear. 6 planos and some mafia bags of plastics, with all of my rods.
    We are looking at maybe +400 lbs.......
    Last edited by Jboutfishn; 09-03-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Might try a tempest, fury's always do well with light weight.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Might try a tempest, fury's always do well with light weight.
    But, why the inconsistency in run speeds? Same water and wind conditions every time. 3 different drivers with the same results. Also 2 different props.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

I'd be looking at your setup first, maybe your still too high. If your getting lift it is not hull hook.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    I'd be looking at your setup first, maybe your still too high. If your getting lift it is not hull hook.
    Not getting good lift with equipment and 2 people.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

14. Member
    Any updates?

15. Member
    Plugs were gapped wrong from factory. They thought that was the issue. Nope. Now they can only get it to 69mph. Something is wrong with the throttle. If they left off throttle a little the boat actually speeds up. Mechanics can't get it figured out
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

Kink in the throttle cable assy maybe Dale? I've seen similar types of issues on emergency brake cables inside their sheaths on airplanes a couple times...

17. Member
    They claim they have it fixed today. The hot foot was advancing too far and putting the cable in a bind. I dont know about that. But will know saturday when I pick it up. They still can't figure out why the rod boxes are getting water in them.
    Dale Johnston
    Wichita, KS

18. Member
    All of my Z21 boxes got water in them when it rained. Turns out the carpet went to the edge of the latch cutout on the aluminum lids and the latch gasket could not seal against the aluminum lid with the carpet in the way. I cut the carpet out about 1/4' so the latch gasket would be against the aluminum. That fixed the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wichibass View Post
    They claim they have it fixed today. The hot foot was advancing too far and putting the cable in a bind. I dont know about that. But will know saturday when I pick it up. They still can't figure out why the rod boxes are getting water in them.
    Actually, that makes sense to me from a mechanical perspective. Hope it gets it cured bud. Keep us posted.

20. Member
    for the rest go here, not sure why started new post

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1002511