First Post - Tracker TXW 175 TE

I recently purchased and took delivery of a 2019 Tracker TXW 175 TE. A few questions and concerns I have that are likely already answered in this forum but figure I want to ask again to get the latest information.

I have a dock and at my camp on Lake Hernando in Citrus County Florida and I am pretty sure I am not going to trailer this boat as our lake is big enough for a weekend warrior like me to be satisfied with only fishing this chain of lakes. Our lake is usually very clear and shallow with depths reaching about 12 feet MOL, with a thick grassy, vegetative bottom, with large areas of lilly pads and bottle brush vegetation.

1. Stitching on stock seats. It seems a little weak, what are others experiences with seats staying intact?
    2. Fish Finders - really? No fish alarms on the stock lowrance Hook 5 combo fishfinders. Considering the depth of our lake, our bottom and the clarity of the water, Any recommendations on our best option for a bow and console mounted replacement fish finder?
    3. Leaving the boat moored. I had a key largo firberglass boat that I left in the lake for a few years, when we took it out to sell, there were some bubbles in the gel coat, but the algae and other discoloration came off with some elbow grease. Does anyone on this boat have any experience with leaving the trackers in the water for any length of time?
    4. Gasoline in the 4 stroke Mercury. Some say only use ethanol free, others say use premium but use stabil, what are the experiences on this board?

2. Banned
    Welcome!

If you plan to keep it outside, and not covered in any way, the elements will take their toll over time. In regard to electronics, that a Ford/Chevy/Ram type scenario. Pick what's in your price range.

Ethanol free would be best and Mercury has a stabilizer available. I only have blended fuel available, so I use Don's cocktail (See Mercury 4-stroke/Verado forum).

3. Member
    Aerospace 303 on the seats and similar materials but without a cover or shelter in Florida it would be tough to keep a boat looking good.

4. Member
    Update - I do have a tracker ratchet cover that is a true pain to put on in the water, but I am getting the hang of it. I have enough room to tie off at the dock and bring the close enough to shore to ratchet it, but without the tie downs to the trailer, one side will come up a little but not too bad. Ive been getting quotes on a lift and replacement dock and the 20g cost is making the decision hard to swallow.

5. Member
    When I use my cover on the water at a dock I can usually rig something up for the straps on the dock side to tighten them up. On the other side I make a loop in the strap tie a piece of rope to it and add a weight or something about 3 or 4 pounds enough weight to put some tension on the cover. You want the weight deep enough so it would not bang against the boat but not so deep it hits the bottom of the lake. Some tines I also use large beach balls under the cover in spots so rain will roll off the cover and not lay on top off the cover.

2. I like Lowrance HDS units, personally. Elite TI2 seems nice as well. Console unit with a 3in1 or 2in1 plus separate 2d and the bow unit with just DI. I'd want them networked and I would add a Point-1 to the NMEA network. If a fish alarm started beeping, I'd turn it off as soon as I could. I've never seen that feature be useful.
    4. Using fresh gas of the recommended octane is most important. When I am fishing a lot I just use 87 with ethanol because it doesn't sit around long enough to go bad. Toward winter, I start moving to pure gas and add some stabil. Granted, you're going to burn less of it than I do so that matters. When I had my 60, I think I'd fill it up 2 or 3 times a season. You do not need premium gas. While there is debate as to if running octane higher than the engine is designed for is harmful, most agree it does not help if your engine does not need it. Higher octane does not mean "better". Higher octane helps prevent pre-ignition. Higher performance engines run in a state a tune that requires it. Your outboard is not one of those engines. If the manual says 87, run 87. Go to the Mercury forum and find Don's sticky on this.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow