Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thinking of selling my RT198P

I'm seriously thinking about selling my 2018 RT 198P due to health reasons. The boat is loaded, Dual Console, Dual axle Ranger Trailer, 2 Blade Power Poles, Atlas 6inch hydraulic jack plate with trim gauge, Hot foot, water pressure gauge, 2 HDS Gen 3's 7's & 1 HDS 9 with structure scan, Fortex 24 volt trolling motor. Motor is a Mercury 4 stroke with around 10 hours give or take a couple. Boat is garage kept & very clean.

I have talked to a local dealer about doing a consignment on the rig, they suggested a my take for the boat would be 30K plus a $250 consignment fee for 30 days. I personnel thing that 30K is extremely to low when a basic RT198P from Ranger is around that figure. I'm thinking about just trying to sell it myself, but I really need to sell it soon.

So, my question is what you guys think about the dealers offer & what would be a good asking price for the rig. Thanks - Glenn

2. Member
    One thing to consider consigning it to a dealer is that it is seen by people looking to buy a boat, they have the means to arrange financing and you don't have to deal with the hassle of using your time to show it and possibly water test it for tire kickers. It is up to you, if you can handle no shows and folks who are going to try to beat you down on price then you should try to sell it yourself. Just my .02, good luck with the sale and sorry for the reason for the sale, prayers for you.

I fully inderstand what you are saying, that,s why I went to my dealer first to test the waters.

4. Member
    If you think the dealer low ball priced it, it was for
    a reason, they want to move it and collect their fee.
    If it was their boat it would probably be priced higher.
    The buyers want to feel like they stole your product,
    if they cant, its a no sale. LDS
    Larry D. Scott Retired KY Water patrol/F&W
    www.greatscottshooters.com

2008 TRACKER TV 18 w/150 Mercury 4S
    MK Ultrex 80lb, 102 Garmin Live scope
    and a UHD93SV Garmin on the bow.
    UHD 93SV at the console.

5. Member
    I personally wouldn't give that much for the boat used. Its getting close to end of the season and I am seeing brand new 198s going for less than or close to 30k. Most people looking for that boat are not going to want to travel unless its a heck of a deal. Plus they are going to lose the hull warranty I believe. Its hard to drop that much coin with out a hull warranty IMO.

6. Member
    A seller cant help if a potential buyer is to far away. Thats the buyers delima.
    A seller should not sacrifice price because his used boat doesnt meet all of the
    buyers whims. I have sold boats, several as a matter of fact and everytime I get these whiners
    about the price/color/trailer/ motor. They will come to look and "if it was only" the
    product to death. They knew what it was before they came, and what the price was.
    These buyers are the ones who should buy new. That way they get what they want, of
    course they are going to pay for that privilege like I had to. LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
    A seller cant help if a potential buyer is to far away. Thats the buyers delima.
    A seller should not sacrifice price because his used boat doesnt meet all of the
    buyers whims. I have sold boats, several as a matter of fact and everytime I get these whiners
    about the price/color/trailer/ motor. They will come to look and "if it was only" the
    product to death. They knew what it was before they came, and what the price was.
    These buyers are the ones who should buy new. That way they get what they want, of
    course they are going to pay for that privilege like I had to. LDS
    Not sure what you are getting at but without a buyer its hard to sell a boat lol.

8. Member
    If you were closer I might bite. Exactly what Im looking for.

9. Member
    I think that’s a bit low but not much. Probably about what I’ll be listing mine at in March, I have the SHO and Ultrex but no poles and JP.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Not sure what you are getting at but without a buyer its hard to sell a boat lol.
    Exactly what I said, the buyer, knew what the product was before he arrived. You cant make
    something into what its not already. This kind of buyer wants to whine you into a lower price.
    I never flex on price to this kind of buyer. If I change the price, and that would be rare, its because
    its my idea, not the buyers. LDS

UHD 93SV at the console.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mike petro View Post
    If you were closer I might bite. Exactly what Im looking for.
    Hek! I traveled 1700 miles round trip to get my boat!

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Hek! I traveled 1700 miles round trip to get my boat!
    I did that too, for the past two NEW boats I have bought in the past two years. I knew what I wanted and had to travel to get it.

13. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    The dealer will not want to set on the boat which in my opinion is why they would throw the number they did at you.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

That’s a $39-$41k boat brand new rigged like that. Start at $35k and go from there.

15. Member
    First I'm sorry about your health. When I sold my first Skeeter we had built a house and my wife wanted furniture, I took it to a dealer. I set the price I don't remember what his cosigment fee was. It sold in under two weeks. When I tried to sell my next boat I did it myself. That was 15 years ago and it's in my barn, never got it sold. I just could not reach the right people for the boat. Everyone that came which were few expected a great deal. Plus I got tired of having people come to the house.

16. Banned
    Sorry about your predicament.
    $250 consignment fee? What is that? Around these parts they charge a non refundable fee for them to inspect the boat and pay for advertising. Then, there is anywhere from a 10%-12% commission or $1500, whichever is greater. I'm selling my Lund. I've taken out 2 ads and if I don't get any takers by winter, I will put it on consignment. I know what my boat is worth and chances are if I get stuck going consignment, I'll end up losing between $3k-$5k off the deal. Thankfully I'm in no hurry to sell

[QUOTE][/
    That’s a $39-$41k boat brand new rigged like that. Start at $35k and go from there.
    QUOTE]

That's exactly what I'm thinking. I did paid a little more than what you posted, but not that much. I feel the rig is worth that considering what I have put on it & the very low hours on the motor. That figure is what I told the dealer I would like to get out of the deal. The $250.00 consignment fee I think for the service department to go through the boat & puting it on there show room floor and is non-refundable if I'm told by the dealer to come pick it up if it doesn't sell.

That figure is like anything else, you have to have a starting point, but to let it go for 30K is redicous in my opinion.

They would probably look it over, give you your 30k minus $250 and list it in their used inventory for 35k.
    Bad spellers of the world untie!

19. Member
    Most of the time a dealer will look at Nada and give 70% of Low Retail Value for a trade in. That way even if they take low retail they make money, and they are the ones taking a gamble by trying to sale a used boat.

Boats depreciate pretty quick the first two years. I'd say 20% for year one and additional 5-10% for year 2 with 5% each year after.

If you paid $40,000 and boat is considered 2 years old now that 2020's are rolling out. That's 25% off $40k is where they are getting the $30,000.

You don't buy a boat to make money. Only by keeping them a long time will you truly receive it's full value. Buying, trading, and selling you are going to take a hit on a luxury item.

You also got to think about the warranty of the second owner isn't but 5 years from 2018, not lifetime. So there is a gamble by buying a used aluminum and people want a steal before they commit.

As a potential buyer I would rather just spend the $5 more for a brand new one and have hull warranty and a BRAND NEW boat...to buy that one without any hull warranty and used I would have to get a great deal $28-$30K TOPS to make me think about it.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast