Thread: HD side/down

HD side/down

Is the HD side/down improving with use or is it still not that great?

2. Member
    The uhd side and down is very good. Just gotta dial it in. There are some good pics in the garmin image interpretation section here.

3. Member
    I hated mine at first and pulled it off...but as stated I put it back on and now much happier with it....you have to understand it will on work in about 25' of water and you need to set the side range at 50' or less...I decided to run a dual side scan setup...I have a GT-30 and ultra HD both installed on my boat....most time the HD is fine but if I need the range I can switch over to the GT-30 @455htz and reach long range. In downscan the ultra HD is great and has no problem to 100'...only on sidescan is the range limited.

Here is an ultra HD image I did today of some underwater structure....also a picture of the dual transducer setup IMG_20190912_094144742.jpgIMG_20190906_093452589.jpg

4. Member
    UHD is good when used with sensible range.

Scroll to around one minute for a pipeline. Depth/ range in meters.
    Last edited by Team Colibri; 09-13-2019 at 03:10 PM.

5. Banned
    Compared to the other two it's terrible. Now folks are going to argue this but they probably haven't seen them all in action.

6. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Well I just sold another guy on garmins side scan I have tons of pics and guys are seeing that garmins work and work very good.Once you set them up you will see fish ,structure etc .Are the others good yes ,better that’s depending on the time of day or if the moon is aligned perfect etc.I can say this I have caught more fish on my garmins than any other brand I have had or used and I ain’t switching any time soon.

7. Member
    Sorry but the Garmin UHD is "just ok" :)
    From all the images that I have looked at (allot) it works but not to the level of HB. I really wish it was better.
    Really doesn't, sorry. Any day of the week under any conditions.
    I love my Livescope, nothing else comes close. Really hoping that Garmin comes out with a new transducer that makes their side imaging better, until then I'll keep my Birds at the console and my Livescope on the bow.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Sorry but the Garmin UHD is "just ok" :)
    From all the images that I have looked at (allot) it works but not to the level of HB. I really wish it was better.
    Really doesn't, sorry. Any day of the week under any conditions.
    I love my Livescope, nothing else comes close. Really hoping that Garmin comes out with a new transducer that makes their side imaging better, until then I'll keep my Birds at the console and my Livescope on the bow.
    I sell all brands....see them all weekly...I'll agree that Garmin sidescan has been behind the other two. I personally run Garmin now and setup properly it is a very very usable sidescan...is it as good as humminbird, absolutely not! But it is excellent everywhere else! I will say the ultra or 8600 series with the 54 series transducer is very very close if not as good as the other brands.

9. Member
    ^agreed