Issue starting boat 488vs w/ 95 mercury 200

I have some issues starting the boat the last few times out. I push the key in for the choke and it doesn't want to start. Eventually I will press on the hot foot and then it stops completely from starting. But if I keep trying over and over it will eventually start. Takes around 5 minutes of messing with it to get it going.

Sorry if this wasn't described well, this is my first boat and first 2 stroke. Thanks for the help.

2. Member
    If it has carbs, make sure the motor is tilted down to help the flow of gas into the cylinders.

This method works with all of the old carburated 2 strokes. When you back the boat into the water, trim the motor down until it is level. Pump the bulb tight (you can also do this in the parking lot before launching.) Turn the key to the ON position and push in to choke the motor but DO NOT TRY to start the motor. While holding in the choke, count slowly to 10. Advance the throttle a little and start the motor. It should start easily. Then, let the motor idle until the rpm's drop. Back off the boat, tie to the dock, and go park the truck while letting the motor idle. You should be good to go for the rest of the day.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I tried this method and it worked a little better. Only took a few minutes to start. I still feel like something isn't right. It used to start without any problems. Is there something I should check out? Also I noticed while cruising, there is a constant beep until I let off the gas. Any idea what that could be?

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Have you posted your questions over in the Mercury engines forum? That’s a good idea, if not, and I’d be taking it to a mechanic as well. That constant beeping can’t be a good thing.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio