Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    36

    “Cracks in welds.”

    Well, I keep reading day in and day out about tin boats having “Cracked welds.” In the hulls. So far, it’s been Ranger and Triton hulls that have the most problems..(That’s just me reading)...Are there any Xpress boats that have this problem? I’m looking at buy a new tin in the near future, but I’m worried that I might have too many problems with welds breaking....I own a 1996 Polar Kraft that’s been through plenty of rough water and tons of stump fields, and so far, no weld breaks.

  2.  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama
    Posts
    1,823
    #2
    On my second Xpress and no cracks. First one 10 1/2 years and second 1 year and 8 months so far.

    I think you are safe with an Xpress or Polar Kraft.

    If you choose Xpress be sure and get the Hyper Lift hull for better ride and performance. You can thank me later.

  4. Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    649
    #3
    I have not read or heard of cracks on xpress welds.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

  5. Moderator 21XDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Westland Michigan
    Posts
    58,865
    #4
    Several of my friends had cracks in the keel weld on their Xpress boats.

    Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

    Lil' video; http://www.photodex.com/sharin...alb=0

  6. Member CodyZ518's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Brandon, MS
    Posts
    394
    #5
    Xpress did have a problem with some getting cracks along the keel around the bow eye. Some were a manufacturer issue but
    most were caused by people not loading the boat all the way forward on the trailer. If you didn't load them until the bow eye was touching the bow roller they would bounce up and down on the roller. That constant pounding caused some welds to start to split.
    2011 Ranger Z518
    Yamaha VMAX SHO 200

  7. Moderator 21XDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Westland Michigan
    Posts
    58,865
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by CodyZ518 View Post
    Xpress did have a problem with some getting cracks along the keel around the bow eye. Some were a manufacturer issue but
    most were caused by people not loading the boat all the way forward on the trailer. If you didn't load them until the bow eye was touching the bow roller they would bounce up and down on the roller. That constant pounding caused some welds to start to split.

    Negative... All of the cracked keels that I knew of came from normal use... One of my friends X19 was almost never trailered as he kept it on a lift at his lake house.

    Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

    Lil' video; http://www.photodex.com/sharin...alb=0

  8. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    119
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Negative... All of the cracked keels that I knew of came from normal use... One of my friends X19 was almost never trailered as he kept it on a lift at his lake house.
    21XDC.......I'm curious to know how Xpress handled it
    2016 Xpress X19 with Yamaha 200 SHO

  9. Moderator 21XDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Westland Michigan
    Posts
    58,865
    #8
    Well... I had a brand new 1998 H-56 and the first year my hull at the bow caved in... I finished out the year in my tournaments. Then I paid more money and upgraded to a 1999 X19... Great boat.... So Xpress handled my issue great.

    Then several of my friends bought X19's and their keels cracked. I think one friend just paid for the repair and put a keelguard over the repair. Another friend had Xpress send him their fix... An aluminum "T" that gets welded into the keel to beef up the bow... So they did help some... Not sure who paid for the work to get done...

    Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

    Lil' video; http://www.photodex.com/sharin...alb=0

  10. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    KALKASKA MICHIGAN
    Posts
    2,188
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Well... I had a brand new 1998 H-56 and the first year my hull at the bow caved in... I finished out the year in my tournaments. Then I paid more money and upgraded to a 1999 X19... Great boat.... So Xpress handled my issue great.

    Then several of my friends bought X19's and their keels cracked. I think one friend just paid for the repair and put a keelguard over the repair. Another friend had Xpress send him their fix... An aluminum "T" that gets welded into the keel to beef up the bow... So they did help some... Not sure who paid for the work to get done...
    Add me to that list for the cracked keel. Boat was purchased used that way but had a keel guard that hid it. My boat had the 3 braces also that had a couple of small cracks in them. I repaired the keel and added extra bracing to the transom as I knew I was upping the HP quite a bit. Being a fabricator and having the welders helps. I had a friend with a tig weld the keel and plate it. Took us about 2 hours is all. Any competent weld shop can do this without flipping the boat over for a few hundred bucks. I added 2 braces and a upper plate brace to my transom myself in less than a day. IMHO the keel cracked because of a crap weld. You could see insufficient material in the bead and a very hurried weld. To do this type of a repair to a glass boat would be many many hours of repair and a bunch of money. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

  11. Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Yonder mountain
    Posts
    428
    #10
    Know a guy that cracked his by the eye hook. Wish I knew how to post a pic cause it was nasty. He wouldn’t admit it but I think it was his doing, apparently beaching the boat against nasty stuff from time to time. Well it was technically out of warranty but xpress still took it back and fixed it.

  12. Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Keystone Lake, OK
    Posts
    375
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Add me to that list for the cracked keel. Boat was purchased used that way but had a keel guard that hid it. My boat had the 3 braces also that had a couple of small cracks in them. I repaired the keel and added extra bracing to the transom as I knew I was upping the HP quite a bit. Being a fabricator and having the welders helps. I had a friend with a tig weld the keel and plate it. Took us about 2 hours is all. Any competent weld shop can do this without flipping the boat over for a few hundred bucks. I added 2 braces and a upper plate brace to my transom myself in less than a day. IMHO the keel cracked because of a crap weld. You could see insufficient material in the bead and a very hurried weld. To do this type of a repair to a glass boat would be many many hours of repair and a bunch of money. CJ
    I can't think of any glass boats that the weld cracked or seperated at the keel. So I agree, it would be a nightmare to weld a keel on a glass boat....
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti