Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

“Cracks in welds.”

Well, I keep reading day in and day out about tin boats having “Cracked welds.” In the hulls. So far, it’s been Ranger and Triton hulls that have the most problems..(That’s just me reading)...Are there any Xpress boats that have this problem? I’m looking at buy a new tin in the near future, but I’m worried that I might have too many problems with welds breaking....I own a 1996 Polar Kraft that’s been through plenty of rough water and tons of stump fields, and so far, no weld breaks.

2. Member
    On my second Xpress and no cracks. First one 10 1/2 years and second 1 year and 8 months so far.

I think you are safe with an Xpress or Polar Kraft.

If you choose Xpress be sure and get the Hyper Lift hull for better ride and performance. You can thank me later.

3. Member
    I have not read or heard of cracks on xpress welds.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

Several of my friends had cracks in the keel weld on their Xpress boats.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

Xpress did have a problem with some getting cracks along the keel around the bow eye. Some were a manufacturer issue but
    most were caused by people not loading the boat all the way forward on the trailer. If you didn't load them until the bow eye was touching the bow roller they would bounce up and down on the roller. That constant pounding caused some welds to start to split.
    2011 Ranger Z518
    Yamaha VMAX SHO 200

Quote Originally Posted by CodyZ518 View Post
    Xpress did have a problem with some getting cracks along the keel around the bow eye. Some were a manufacturer issue but
    most were caused by people not loading the boat all the way forward on the trailer. If you didn't load them until the bow eye was touching the bow roller they would bounce up and down on the roller. That constant pounding caused some welds to start to split.

Negative... All of the cracked keels that I knew of came from normal use... One of my friends X19 was almost never trailered as he kept it on a lift at his lake house.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Negative... All of the cracked keels that I knew of came from normal use... One of my friends X19 was almost never trailered as he kept it on a lift at his lake house.
    21XDC.......I'm curious to know how Xpress handled it
    2016 Xpress X19 with Yamaha 200 SHO

Well... I had a brand new 1998 H-56 and the first year my hull at the bow caved in... I finished out the year in my tournaments. Then I paid more money and upgraded to a 1999 X19... Great boat.... So Xpress handled my issue great.

Then several of my friends bought X19's and their keels cracked. I think one friend just paid for the repair and put a keelguard over the repair. Another friend had Xpress send him their fix... An aluminum "T" that gets welded into the keel to beef up the bow... So they did help some... Not sure who paid for the work to get done...

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    Well... I had a brand new 1998 H-56 and the first year my hull at the bow caved in... I finished out the year in my tournaments. Then I paid more money and upgraded to a 1999 X19... Great boat.... So Xpress handled my issue great.

Then several of my friends bought X19's and their keels cracked. I think one friend just paid for the repair and put a keelguard over the repair. Another friend had Xpress send him their fix... An aluminum "T" that gets welded into the keel to beef up the bow... So they did help some... Not sure who paid for the work to get done...
    Add me to that list for the cracked keel. Boat was purchased used that way but had a keel guard that hid it. My boat had the 3 braces also that had a couple of small cracks in them. I repaired the keel and added extra bracing to the transom as I knew I was upping the HP quite a bit. Being a fabricator and having the welders helps. I had a friend with a tig weld the keel and plate it. Took us about 2 hours is all. Any competent weld shop can do this without flipping the boat over for a few hundred bucks. I added 2 braces and a upper plate brace to my transom myself in less than a day. IMHO the keel cracked because of a crap weld. You could see insufficient material in the bead and a very hurried weld. To do this type of a repair to a glass boat would be many many hours of repair and a bunch of money. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

10. Member
    Know a guy that cracked his by the eye hook. Wish I knew how to post a pic cause it was nasty. He wouldn’t admit it but I think it was his doing, apparently beaching the boat against nasty stuff from time to time. Well it was technically out of warranty but xpress still took it back and fixed it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Add me to that list for the cracked keel. Boat was purchased used that way but had a keel guard that hid it. My boat had the 3 braces also that had a couple of small cracks in them. I repaired the keel and added extra bracing to the transom as I knew I was upping the HP quite a bit. Being a fabricator and having the welders helps. I had a friend with a tig weld the keel and plate it. Took us about 2 hours is all. Any competent weld shop can do this without flipping the boat over for a few hundred bucks. I added 2 braces and a upper plate brace to my transom myself in less than a day. IMHO the keel cracked because of a crap weld. You could see insufficient material in the bead and a very hurried weld. To do this type of a repair to a glass boat would be many many hours of repair and a bunch of money. CJ
    I can't think of any glass boats that the weld cracked or seperated at the keel. So I agree, it would be a nightmare to weld a keel on a glass boat....
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

12. Member
    You all convince me not to switch from fiberglass to aluminum. Nope!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastie View Post
    Do a search on wet transoms and whether they are fiberglas or aluminum boats

14. Member
    Just had to have the keel weld on my 2017 X19 fixed. You can clearly see where the original weld got off the seam allowing the crack to start and spread. Xpress sent me to a local deal where it was fixed at no charge.

Here is my post about it

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

15. Member
    I have repaired several Xpress boats that cracked in the weld just forward of the console. Any aluminum boat will crack if the aluminum flexes enough. Big waves are hard on any boat aluminum or glass.

16. Member
    If you look hard enough all brands have issues. My 2013 x19 is well fished out of year round in big water. No issues yet. Been rock solid. I’ll re power before I buy a different boat.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastie View Post
    Yea, and that is why I did not respond to Keystones comment. Sorry but I have see too many hull blisters, nicks through the gelcoat, and cracked transoms that needed major repairs [fiberglass welding!!] I will never waste my time with a glass hull transom again unless it is a high end boat. just scrap the hull and find another with a good transom. I had a total of about 5 hours in the hull in mine and would have had that in repairing the Gelcoat in a normal boat. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

18. Member
    i had a 2017 x21. the weld on the kill cracked. and xpress did not warranty it due to me being the second owner. insurance totaled the boat out.

19. Member
    Owned 3 Xpress X boats over the last 21 years and never a weld crack on the boats, last trailer had welds break on the running board though.

My 2001 I bought used had the keel repaired on it but the repair was horrible and cracked again. The welds in the transom was were damaged also. I had to do alot of fab work and braced it up and I also fixed the keel from the inside with some more bracing. I'll own this boat for many years to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast