Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crestliner PT18 vs Tracker 195?

I'm making plans on my next boat purchase and think I have it narrowed down to these 2. The closest either of these boats are to me is at least an hours drive. I'd like opinions from folks who may have some experience with either, and hear some pro's & con's.

Thanks!

2. Member
    I've had my PT18 for three seasons now and love it
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

3. Member
    I bought a Crestliner BassHawk. I really like it. Might be worth a look. I have the pedestal version. Lots of room to cast and good rod storage.

4. Member
    The reputation of the dealer. Look for CSI Service Awards.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

If I HAD to own and fish from one of those, it would be, without a doubt, the Crestliner. I think they make a decent boat, and I believe it is all aluminum with no wood. Personally to me, that means a lot. I have had to replace wooden decks.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

tracker might be a bit faster as the PT is wider and made with thicker aluminum. the PT is not much on speed but a great boat to fish from. the layout and storage is second to none.

7. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Crestliner hands down. I spent a lot of time researching the vt 17, vt 18, and pt 18 a while back. Panama is correct there is no wood. When my time comes to upgrade I will be hard pressed not to go with Crestliner.
    Fisher 1710C - Mercury 60 Horse 4 stroke
    **Crappie Fishing Fool**

Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    tracker might be a bit faster as the PT is wider and made with thicker aluminum. the PT is not much on speed but a great boat to fish from. the layout and storage is second to none.
    What thickness is crestliner making their hulls out of? I thought they were .100” like the majority?
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Did creatliner ever get their porpoising issues fixed or they running trim tabs like the ranger/tritons do? I recall in years past that was an issue for some guys unless they made some changes im not aware of.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

10. Member
    The PT has a aluminum thickness of .100. As for the porpoising issue that was only on certain models and has been fixed.

So same thickness as the others then. Someone posted the crestliner was thicker but i didnt figure that was right.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Member
    Crestliner pt18 has a hull thickness is .110 and the transom is .125. That’s posted on the Crestliner website.

13. Member
    Whoever up there in previous posts said they were not thicker and the same as others is just WRONG. Crestliner uses thicker aluminum than most in both the hull and transom.

They make a great boat. I have owned one before. The reason I have Ranger now is the proximity of the dealership. And so far, Ranger also makes a great boat.

I would investigate if Tracker is having transom cracking problems with the 195 and exactly what the fix was. I believe there were some posts here about some problems. I would also investigate if the Tracker is still making their boats with wood. I am not sure of the Crestliner trailer but last I heard the Tracker still was using the hollow tubing trailers which would seem to hold moisture where the channel trailer wouldn't. I believe the Crestliner is a far superior boat and also believe it would resale much much better.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Whoever up there in previous posts said they were not thicker and the same as others is just WRONG. Crestliner uses thicker aluminum than most in both the hull and transom.

They make a great boat. I have owned one before. The reason I have Ranger now is the proximity of the dealership. And so far, Ranger also makes a great boat.

I would investigate if Tracker is having transom cracking problems with the 195 and exactly what the fix was. I believe there were some posts here about some problems. I would also investigate if the Tracker is still making their boats with wood. I am not sure of the Crestliner trailer but last I heard the Tracker still was using the hollow tubing trailers which would seem to hold moisture where the channel trailer wouldn't. I believe the Crestliner is a far superior boat and also believe it would resale much much better.
    Take it easy man. I stand corrected excuse me i was wrong i didnt know that they did that good for them. Since you insist on doing some investigating investigate some of the pt20 crestliner cracking issues. Tracker certainly had their pt195 issues but dont hear too much more about it. I wasnt putting down anything just wondering from past posts i remember years ago since ive been around here longer than you.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonTRXV8 View Post
    Take it easy man. I stand corrected excuse me i was wrong i didnt know that they did that good for them. Since you insist on doing some investigating investigate some of the pt20 crestliner cracking issues. Tracker certainly had their pt195 issues but dont hear too much more about it. I wasnt putting down anything just wondering from past posts i remember years ago since ive been around here longer than you.
    Pt20's had alot of cracking issues

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Pt20's had alot of cracking issues
    How many do you consider alot? I haven't heard of just a couple of here. No more than any other tin boat.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    How many do you consider alot? I haven't heard of just a couple of here. No more than any other tin boat.
    Personally seen a 6 month old one that was falling apart and the transom was cracked.

and we all know that Tracker, Ranger, etc. never have problems with hull cracks. happens to just about every tin boat model made.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dees View Post
    and we all know that Tracker, Ranger, etc. never have problems with hull cracks. happens to just about every tin boat model made.
    Yes they all certainly have. Even vexus has had some nasty ones. None are immune.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Minnkota Ultrex.

20. Member
    i had a tracker 195 for a little while. I wouldn't own another one. I didn't like the wood on the decks and water washed over the back end really easy. I had a g3 that seemed like it was way better built.
    Matt I
    2006 Triton 20xhp 225 Merc Pro XS
    Solix 15 G1, Solix 12 G2, Helix 12 gen4 12 gen3 , Ultrex 112, Mega 360, Mega Live

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast