Youghiogheny Dam 8-31-19

A short day today but the food is great.

I actualy was not sure I was going to fish today. My buddy who is probably a better fisherman spent the whole day on the lake yesterday. He had nothing to show for his efforts. My daught was coming home and I had started the smoker to make pulled pork. This meant I had to get home early. To top it off I forgot to set the alarm clock and we slept in. That meant we would get on the lake around 9AM and off the lake at 11AM.

When we got to the lake maybe there were 6 other vehicles and trailers at the breast launch. Then I got another sign maybe we should have just enjoyed the day at home. The water was down about 5 feet from last weekend.

Traffic was light a few pleasure boats and fishermen. The water temp was 77 degrees but the water was maybe just a little murky. First question was where to go? My hotspots all summer were now basically gone, dry to be more exact. The next question what to use?

I did the usual and headed south. I let my daughter take over the driving today. I told her go under the Rt 40 bridge and pick a spot. Two hours isn't much time to find fish in new water depths. However she soon finds a hump that I never found and said dad the bird is showing fish.

Now came the question what to use. Well since there where three of us I figured it was a good time to try three different things. Now we are in 15 foot of water casting into about three foot of water. I'm using my trusted Senko and her boyfriend was using a green Senko. Both with weight. My daughter picked out a blue and white Megabass 110.

Not ten minutes later she is on the first fish of the day. A decent small mouth at that.

I wish I could tell you that we loaded the boat today. In the two hours we fished three different spots with only the one fish. I guess we have to have one day like this.

I'm hoping to really give it some time over the nest two days. Today was really all about spending time with my daughter.

So even with the dropping water nice size small mouth can still be found in shallow water. You will have to search for them and find different structure that is under the water. I would still spend some time working the shoals clearly marked with buoys. There is a small underwater bridge on the Maryland side worth some consideration. I will let you know more if it is providing I do get out over the next two days.

Not a bad time to maybe try some jerkbiats. The color blue has always produced in this lake for me.

Last edited by Fx20 2011; 08-31-2019 at 09:00 PM.