Convert Customline removable tongue trailer to a swing away?

Back in the late 90's, I took my tandem Customline Trailer to Knoxville to have Colin Hall/Hill, (can't remember for sure), cut my trailer tongue and convert to the removable tongue style he made at the time. Before he started, I asked about a swing away tongue as opposed to the removable style he was making. He was opposed to the idea from a strength standpoint, and showed me how far the removable section went into the main trailer frame. Without doubt, his way is unbelievably strong, and they did a BEAUTIFUL job!! I must give credit where credit is due!!! However, being a career ASE Master Certified mechanic, I never liked the concept of a quick disconnect hydraulic brake fluid line. I still don't.
    Now that the concept of a swing away tongue is a proven, I'm considering converting my trailer now. To convert it to a swing away, it looks like the smaller diameter portion of the removable tongue, that inserts into the main trailer frame could possibly be cut off, and the swing away bracket attached to the trailer frame, and the cut removable tongue? Then just use a permanently installed flexible brake fluid hose. Has anyone done this before? Thanks!!

Did you ever do this conversion? I have a removable that i’d like to make a swing tongue
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Member
    Before you do it, read up on the different types of swing tongue brackets that are available (bolt on, weld on, different suppliers, etc. I had a friend with a new boat from the factory, and they cut the tongue on a new trailer, and bolted on a swing hinge conversion. That swing hinge broke after about 12 hours of towing and it was fortunate that the boat and Jeep were not damaged. After that accident he purchased a completely new Phoenix trailer that had a swing tongue from the factory, and had no issues with that one. I think it was a Fulton swing tongue conversion, but I may have forgotten. If you type in "Fulton swing tongue conversion failures" you will get pages of failures, and it is not only that brand. I am sure some of them done by the right people are reliable. The factory one looked very different than the Fulton one that was added. This was a 24 ft performance boat that weighed around 3000# with motor, battery and fuel.

4. Member
    I haven't done the conversion yet, and may not? I love the strength of the removable tongue setup, just hate the entire principle of the quick disconnect brake line. I was hoping that there may have been several folks that have already done this, and may have figured out the best way, and whether it was worth the trouble.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitehead View Post
    I haven't done the conversion yet, and may not? I love the strength of the removable tongue setup, just hate the entire principle of the quick disconnect brake line. I was hoping that there may have been several folks that have already done this, and may have figured out the best way, and whether it was worth the trouble.
    The removeable tongue is definitely stronger. That being said, I was not trying to scare you. If you use the right parts and have it done right, I think the swing tongue can work out fine. If the wrong parts are used and the wrong people do the work, you can read what happened on the internet. I was just trying to help you make the best decision.

6. Member
    I went from a removable tongue on my Customline to a swing away years ago. I did all the work myself. I actually left the inner piece of the removeable tongue in place for strength. So it was double wall thickness. I drilled holes on the outer tube and plug welded it. I event left the removeable pin in place just as another backup. I cut the tongue about 4 inches in front of the winch base so I would have room for a good weld. The other piece was single wall thickness but is plenty strong and welded the other piece on. I ran it for well over 15 years on some of the roughest roads in the country and never had an issue (I would guess close to 100,000 miles). I didn't like the quick connect for the brakes either so I hard plumbed that connection. I recently sold the boat and its still doing great.

I used a Fulton Fold Away Coupler because it had the most over-lap over the existing tongue tube. It had a place for a bolt so I drilled and installed two grade 8 bolts as another backup. I have heard of issues also. I think some of the failures are in the tongue material and not the actual swing away hinge, but I may have just been lucky.

Without a doubt I think it was worth it.
    Last edited by sowenssw; 01-03-2023 at 03:32 PM.

7. Member
    Attachment 509318

It's not the prettiest now, but as I mentioned, it has close to 100,000 miles of hard use on it.
    Last edited by sowenssw; 01-03-2023 at 03:47 PM.

8. Member
    I converted mine to a swing away about 18 years ago. No issues.
    2001- 21XDC-300r
    Pete.

9. Member
    Would love to see your photo sowenssw! It did not come through.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitehead View Post
    Would love to see your photo sowenssw! It did not come through.
    I'm not the greatest at posting pics. I will try again.Swing Away.JPG

11. Member
    Thanks for posting the photo!!