Change rig length on Verado V8

Well I start with my serial numbers 2b638267 and 2b638043

I have 25" rigs but would like to go down to 20" since after testing they sit quite high and I would benefit from a bit extra stability when we sleep in the boat.
    If I have understood it correctly Mercury offer shaft kits for this purpose.

But what makes me a bit curious is if I really need a 20" kit. Looking at the speedmaster drives the 20" shaft kit is a different part number but the 25" and 30" kits are the the same as for my 5,44 drives. That makes me wonder if Mercury makes all the shafts 20" and then add spacers to them? Just like the lower units.

Anyone taken down a drive and noticed this?
    IMG_2800.JPG

2. Member
    shaft length isnt to set motor height but rather for transom size. a 20 shaft and a 30 shaft will all sit the exact same on the transom balance wont change..
    also negative performance issues will arise using incorrect length midsections. be shocked if you could even get on plane using a 20 shaft on a 25 transom
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

3. Member
    I don’t have a regular transom it is just a plain surface and 12” jack plates. So of cause I will adjust the height so it fits a 20” inch transom

4. Member
    I wanted 20” Verados it replaced a set of 300sx 20” but Merc never took any 20” Verados to Europe last spring so I took what I could get.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Spacer (5") can be removed, but you have to change out the Shaft Kit in the gearcase (which REQUIRES the gearcase be completely re-shimmed properly- otherwise failure WILL occur).

20" Shaft Kit (per engine) is Part# 8M0146065.

Strongly recommend contacting Mercury to discuss this before making ANY modifications to the engines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Thank you! I took down one of the gear cases last night and saw that I needed the 20" shaft kit and 5 shorter studs, of cause it will need to be shimmed in.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasglad View Post
    Thank you! I took down one of the gear cases last night and saw that I needed the 20" shaft kit and 5 shorter studs, of cause it will need to be shimmed in.
    Did you succed in converting to 20" leg?
    I'm having the same needs here in Denmark.
    Thanks

/Martin

Askeladden 635 Freestyle
    Mercury Verado 300

8. Member
    Yes I figured it out. I answered you in your own tread.