Difference between G2n and G3n sonar

What’s the main difference between the 2 and how much better will the G3n be than the Helix 10 G2n mega SI that I have now? I’ve read where Lowrance has arguably the best 2d sonar, so will this new G3n sonar be comparable to Lowrance?

2. Member
    The main difference between the gen 2 and the gen 3, (aka mega and mega plus) is about 300 bucks lol. Imaging isn’t worth the update in the price tag, (imo),but it’s not like there’s a choice now that the gen 2 are phased out. And yes.

3. Member
    The biggest difference in any of the G3 models is probably in the helix 9 where it now how the same pixel resolution as the 10 does now.

4. Member
    I may be wrong but it sounds like he wants to know the difference between the g2 and g3 2d sonar... I would also like to know this as I use 2d a lot. For example I find the 2d sonar om my g1 solix so much better then my g1 helix.

The G1 SOLIX and G1 Helix have the same standard 2D sonar-----83/200 kHz. The difference is the first generation Helix 10 does not have CHIRP and the SOLIX does. The G2 Helix does have CHIRP in the 83 kHz range and 200 kHz range.

The G2 SOLIX and G3 Helix have HW CHIRP 140-240 kHz as standard 2D sonar. The HW piezo is Low-Q.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I know for sure the 2D transducer is different. The Gen 3 transducer number is XNT 9 HWT and the Gen 2 transducer number is XNT 9 20 T. I was at the factory Wednesday and was told that the transducer for the Gen 2 would not work as well as the Gen 3 and could cause problems with the unit. The Gen 3 transducer covers Dual Spectrum CHIRP to SwitchFire and Dual Beam. I do not know yet what it looks like on the water just got the Gen 3 transducer on today.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

Quote Originally Posted by kk4iz View Post
    I know for sure the 2D transducer is different. The Gen 3 transducer number is XNT 9 HWT and the Gen 2 transducer number is XNT 9 20 T. I was at the factory Wednesday and was told that the transducer for the Gen 2 would not work as well as the Gen 3 and could cause problems with the unit. The Gen 3 transducer covers Dual Spectrum CHIRP to SwitchFire and Dual Beam. I do not know yet what it looks like on the water just got the Gen 3 transducer on today.

No it does not. Dual Beam is 83/200 kHz and their CHIRP ranges. Dual Spectrum is a single CHIRP frequency range of 140-240 kHz.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

As confirmed by a few members here, the G3 dual Spectrum transducers can be used on G2 Helix with update 2.110. The 2d is MUCH better with it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonteSS View Post
    As confirmed by a few members here, the G3 dual Spectrum transducers can be used on G2 Helix with update 2.110. The 2d is MUCH better with it.
    I agree with MonteSS!