Help Setting up a 1996 Eyra with a new Yamaha 175 V Max SHO

Wanted to know what prop and jackplate height to use when setting up this new engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Probably no one else will have that combo, or maybe 1 other. I have a 96 Eyra w/ 175 Mercury Pro XS Optimax 2 stroke. Found our best prop is a 24 Tempest most of the time, 25 in cold weather. The Eyra runs the prop a little deeper due to it's excellent big water performance. Try 3.25-3.5 inches Prop to Pad. Jackplate height is a huge variable since you didn't mention what kind of plate you have. Ours is a detwiler hydraulic.
    I would think 24 or 25 pitch prop is ballpark.

3. Member
    I have a Cook manual 5 1/2” setback jack plate

The ‘96 Eyra liked a three blade propeller and they performed better with one. Though we don’t know of any that have a new 175 SHO on them.

My 96 with a 150 XRi did an honest 66 with a 24 Trophy. It also had a CMC hydraulic jack plate and needed it. The boat was very weight sensitive so the jack setting varied quite a bit depending on load. To low with a light load the boat got very loose with the Laser 3 blade. A buddy of mine who bought his at the same time I did was running a new 25 Tempest Plus with great success. My advise is to invest in a short Hyd. Jack plate.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

I run a 25 pitch Fury 3 on my Sabre with 175 Pro XS, so I am guessing either the 24 or 25 would make that Erya com alive.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    When I had my 96 with a 150 ProV I ran a 25M. I totally agree with Eyra1 about the boat being sensitive to load. Once I put an 8" Bobs on it I could tweak it based on the load. For me I noticed that once I filled the livewells (which are hure) I needed to run a little lower to get my best performance as opposed to when they were empty. If you're throwing a SHO on it I'd spend the extra grand or so and put a hydraulic plate on it. That's gonna be a nice combo.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbycat View Post
    I have a Cook manual 5 1/2” setback jack plate
    With a manual plate you will mark a spot on the plate, make a few runs, then raise the plate in 1/4" increments (mark the plate at the new level) and make a few more runs. A little more time consuming than a hydraulic plate. Make sure you set up with the Eyra loaded (your gear, livewells full, etc). Doing this helps you gain max performance loaded while using a manual plate.
    We tried a 24 Fury, it just didn't work as well on the Opti Pro XS as the Tempest. Fury is a good prop, just not the answer for every hull. Could try the Yamaha T series in 24.