Thread: Pink Floyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pink Floyd

Heard one song for the very first time and have been intrigued.
    Not sure what made them a great band or what level they achieved
    heck don’t even know whose in the band but the lyrics seemed very
    authentic. Are there any fans of this group here? What do you like about them and do you still listen to the. ?

2. Member
    One of the greatest rock bands. Check out HD Pink Floyd on YouTube. They have some great live performances. Several videos go through their history. It’s a bit of a soap opera. Best video is the Pompeii concert in 2014 I believe.

3. Member
    thanks I will be sure to look it up.

4. Member
    If you can find it Listen to “The Delicate Sound of Thunder”. Epic concert recording.

5. Member
    My favorite band...but I am old now and living in the past or so I am told. "Animals" and "Wish You Were Here" are my favorite albums.

6. Member
    Oh BOY do you have a lot of catching up to do. What an amazing career, and an amazing band. Of course "The Wall" may be one of the most important not only albums, but a truely great Rock Opera, rating up there with Tommy for sure albeit more politically charged.

The original principles David Gilmour and Roger Waters have been at each other for a few decades now. Both are INCREDIBLY talented! Find the DVD The Wall LIVE from Berlin 1990. That show was the largest production ever staged, and may still be. The stage was over 550' long, 80' high and there was a 'wall' that was built from HUGE blocks by those tall skinny construction cranes on each side of the stage. Most was built prior to the concert, and of course during the concert the premise is to complete the wall. Which at the end of the concert (while the song is playing) the wall is torn down.

There were full Russian Army semi's driving across the stage will all sorts of military weapons, cannons, tanks, etc. Limo's, vehicles, you name it. The video itself isn't that great (didn't have high-def then) but the audio is awesome. The list of stars that showed was unheard of at the time.

One of the most important parts of it though was where it took place. Literally between Brandenburg gate and Potzdamer Platz which was 'no mans land' where people would get shot trying to go from east to west Germany. The producers had never been there, nobody had, and the concerns that there were ordnance's there were very real. They found literally thousands of rounds, land mines, and even Hitler's bunker was there where he spent his last days.

To see over 500,000 people there, peacefully, in such a massive political statement was a quite beautiful thing. Of course the concert didn't go off without a hitch and a breaker blew during it. Roger Waters however was (and still is) an incredible perfectionist. That the concert itself had problems wasn't a surprise, considering what a MASSIVE undertaking it was. He had arranged for retakes to happen after the concert, as well as the night before they had a full dress rehearsal.

At the time it was broadcast live on TV and simulcast on the radio. I still have those recordings on VHS. Of course I have the DVD, as well as a black denim jacket that could only be had then. I've been offered $1500 for it and it's not for sale.

That concert wasn't NEAR their best, and of course the performers were singing many parts, rather than the original band. But the statement it made, and still makes is something that'll never be equaled.

Last version of The Wall we saw was the Roger Waters 2014 tour. Of course these days they no longer build a REAL wall out of super human sized Styrofoam blocks. And the stage wasn't 550+ feet long. That one they had a massive video screen and forty some odd digital projectors all running at once, which made it seem as if the wall was being built, along with other typical psychedelic imagery that Pink Floyd is known for. My daughter was 26 then. She and her husband went with us to that one as she'd heard the music from the time she was a little girl.

I'd have to say the show at Ga Tech, Bobby Dodd Stadium in 94 however was one of the best experiences I've ever had. AND IT'S A DRY STADIUM! That concert wasn't Roger Waters, but David Gilmour touring as Pink Floyd. It was said to be the biggest production for a tour ever. Three complete stage setups at all times so they could minimize the time between shows. They even had custom remote control AIRSHIPS! They did 2 nights in Atlanta, and the production was so amazing that you would literally lose the performers on the stage BUT YOU DIDN'T CARE! It was actually in surround sound! The combination of lights, lasers, and actually the first introduction of a gold argon laser was revolutionary. Never imagined going to a Pink Floyd show and not having SOME sort of 'buzz', but we did. It was such a sensory experience that had one been 'buzzed' you would simply have missed too much of it! Went with another couple, and it was so friggin good that tickets were bought for when they showed at Clemson a week or so later. Heheheee

More than you probably wanted to know.... but welcome to the world of Pink Floyd. :-)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

Man!!! Dixie Chicken, you made me feel like I was there. In the early seventies my brother and his best friend missed getting tickets to a LynyrdSkynyrd concert, so they went to this hole in the wall to play pool and drink beer. Later on in the night,the owner said they were gonna have to lock the doors and didn't know when they'd open them back up, so if they wanted to stay they could,if not they'd have to leave. They decided to stay and Skynyrd showed up and hung out and even played. My brother and his friend talked about that night til he died a few years back.

8. Member
    Oddly enough... I've never seen Skynrd. Have DVD's, and a couple shows DVR'd but never in person. Go figure! LOL We missed a lot of the early classics in the 70's because we were more into drag racing / street racing and rather than spend our time going to concerts, we were cruising up and down the road looking for another $50~$100. LMAO

I remember a Hank Jr. concert back in the 80's we literally walked out of! Never seen so many rednecks, no shirts, standing in the seats, on the BACK of the seats falling all over the place. Couldn't hear Hank Jr at ALL. He was into his 3rd song and with all the Jack flying everywhere, and folks being arrested left and right we just walked out.

But I'd go to a Pink Floyd concert anytime, even now, as long as my back will let me. ;-)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

9. Member
    Roger Waters a top 10 lyricist in Rock music IMO. David Gilmour possibly the greatest melodic guitar soloist of all time. Whats not to like....

10. Member
    Listened to the Dark Side of the Moon constantly in college. To this day, Comfortably Numb is in my short list of top rock songs of all time.

PBS plays Brit Floyd concerts routinely. This Pink Floyd knockoff band is really good too. Check out their Comfortably Numb tune on YouTube.

Roger Waters has a net worth of $310 million. David Gilmour is like $160 million.

From wikipedia on the album Dark Side of the Moon:

The Dark Side of the Moon received critical acclaim upon release, and has since been hailed by critics as one of the greatest albums of all time. The record reached number one on the US Billboard Top LPs & Tape chart (now known as the Billboard 200), and has charted for over 900 weeks in total. With estimated sales of over 45 million copies, it is Pink Floyd's best seller, and one of the best-selling albums worldwide. The record helped to propel Pink Floyd to international fame, bringing wealth and recognition to all four of its members. It has been remastered and re-released on several occasions, most recently for digital distribution.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

Yeah, I think I've heard of those guys.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chautauquanuy View Post
    Listened to the Dark Side of the Moon constantly in college. To this day, Comfortably Numb is in my short list of top rock songs of all time.

PBS plays Brit Floyd concerts routinely. This Pink Floyd knockoff band is really good too. Check out their Comfortably Numb tune on YouTube.

Roger Waters has a net worth of $310 million. David Gilmour is like $160 million.

From wikipedia on the album Dark Side of the Moon:

The Dark Side of the Moon received critical acclaim upon release, and has since been hailed by critics as one of the greatest albums of all time. The record reached number one on the US Billboard Top LPs & Tape chart (now known as the Billboard 200), and has charted for over 900 weeks in total. With estimated sales of over 45 million copies, it is Pink Floyd's best seller, and one of the best-selling albums worldwide. The record helped to propel Pink Floyd to international fame, bringing wealth and recognition to all four of its members. It has been remastered and re-released on several occasions, most recently for digital distribution.
    If you get AxisTV channel watch for a show called "Classic Albums" they showcase how the albums were produced with great interviews. They just featured "Dark Side of the Moon" and it will probably come around again.

13. Member
    Thanks csurp. I have seen that show. Fabulous channel by the way. Now this isn't the original PF lineup, but this is them at Pompeii from a few years back playing Comfortably Numb. Note the number of plays is closing in on 50 million. David Gilmour remains one heck of a guitar player.

'14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

14. Member
    Saw them in Chicago at Soldier Field summer of 1980, they were promoting the Animals album. The Bands live sound was incredible. Besides the wall of speakers on either side of the stage, they had these huge speaker columns mounted at the top 4 corners of the Stadium and they could make it sound like the music was swirling around the stadium.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    Oh BOY do you have a lot of catching up to do. What an amazing career, and an amazing band. Of course "The Wall" may be one of the most important not only albums, but a truely great Rock Opera, rating up there with Tommy for sure albeit more politically charged.

The original principles David Gilmour and Roger Waters have been at each other for a few decades now. Both are INCREDIBLY talented! Find the DVD The Wall LIVE from Berlin 1990. That show was the largest production ever staged, and may still be. The stage was over 550' long, 80' high and there was a 'wall' that was built from HUGE blocks by those tall skinny construction cranes on each side of the stage. Most was built prior to the concert, and of course during the concert the premise is to complete the wall. Which at the end of the concert (while the song is playing) the wall is torn down.

There were full Russian Army semi's driving across the stage will all sorts of military weapons, cannons, tanks, etc. Limo's, vehicles, you name it. The video itself isn't that great (didn't have high-def then) but the audio is awesome. The list of stars that showed was unheard of at the time.

One of the most important parts of it though was where it took place. Literally between Brandenburg gate and Potzdamer Platz which was 'no mans land' where people would get shot trying to go from east to west Germany. The producers had never been there, nobody had, and the concerns that there were ordnance's there were very real. They found literally thousands of rounds, land mines, and even Hitler's bunker was there where he spent his last days.

To see over 500,000 people there, peacefully, in such a massive political statement was a quite beautiful thing. Of course the concert didn't go off without a hitch and a breaker blew during it. Roger Waters however was (and still is) an incredible perfectionist. That the concert itself had problems wasn't a surprise, considering what a MASSIVE undertaking it was. He had arranged for retakes to happen after the concert, as well as the night before they had a full dress rehearsal.

At the time it was broadcast live on TV and simulcast on the radio. I still have those recordings on VHS. Of course I have the DVD, as well as a black denim jacket that could only be had then. I've been offered $1500 for it and it's not for sale.

That concert wasn't NEAR their best, and of course the performers were singing many parts, rather than the original band. But the statement it made, and still makes is something that'll never be equaled.

Last version of The Wall we saw was the Roger Waters 2014 tour. Of course these days they no longer build a REAL wall out of super human sized Styrofoam blocks. And the stage wasn't 550+ feet long. That one they had a massive video screen and forty some odd digital projectors all running at once, which made it seem as if the wall was being built, along with other typical psychedelic imagery that Pink Floyd is known for. My daughter was 26 then. She and her husband went with us to that one as she'd heard the music from the time she was a little girl.

I'd have to say the show at Ga Tech, Bobby Dodd Stadium in 94 however was one of the best experiences I've ever had. AND IT'S A DRY STADIUM! That concert wasn't Roger Waters, but David Gilmour touring as Pink Floyd. It was said to be the biggest production for a tour ever. Three complete stage setups at all times so they could minimize the time between shows. They even had custom remote control AIRSHIPS! They did 2 nights in Atlanta, and the production was so amazing that you would literally lose the performers on the stage BUT YOU DIDN'T CARE! It was actually in surround sound! The combination of lights, lasers, and actually the first introduction of a gold argon laser was revolutionary. Never imagined going to a Pink Floyd show and not having SOME sort of 'buzz', but we did. It was such a sensory experience that had one been 'buzzed' you would simply have missed too much of it! Went with another couple, and it was so friggin good that tickets were bought for when they showed at Clemson a week or so later. Heheheee

More than you probably wanted to know.... but welcome to the world of Pink Floyd. :-)
    Late to the party but I saw them mothers day 1994 at Vanderbilt stadium it was the division bell tour .
    2B230671

16. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BLINDHAWG View Post
    Late to the party but I saw them mothers day 1994 at Vanderbilt stadium it was the division bell tour .

YUP! The Division Bell Tour was it. First time ANY band had a surround sound setup, much less in a stadium! That was a really good tour.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Chicken View Post
    YUP! The Division Bell Tour was it. First time ANY band had a surround sound setup, much less in a stadium! That was a really good tour.
    Saw them twice on that tour, first was in April in the old football stadium in Cleveland right on the lake, cold, windy, and we under-dressed. Show was great even though we were miserable.

Then saw them in November in the old Pontiac Sliverdome, WOW what a fantastic show with the white dome so you could see the lasers really well. Second set they did Dark Side of the Moon beginning to end. Close enough that we could feel the heat from the flames coming out of the pigs!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mean_dean View Post
    Saw them twice on that tour, first was in April in the old football stadium in Cleveland right on the lake, cold, windy, and we under-dressed. Show was great even though we were miserable.

Then saw them in November in the old Pontiac Sliverdome, WOW what a fantastic show with the white dome so you could see the lasers really well. Second set they did Dark Side of the Moon beginning to end. Close enough that we could feel the heat from the flames coming out of the pigs!

Howdy neighbor! (from McDonough)

Yep, here at Bobby Dodd (Ga Tech) and then at Clemson it was one AMAZING show! Even in a 'dry' stadium, no beers being spilled everywhere, nobody up on the back of the chairs screaming and falling, just EVERYBODY standing there in awe at what all was going on.

Remember the 3-sided things that'd rise up out of the stage, with 8' fluro lights on one side, colored lights on the next, and I think it was strobes/spotlights on the third side. They'd rise up and spin around, then go back down. The band members were dwarfed by all of what was going on, but YOU DID NOT CARE! It was THAT good!

I remember the bass was more 'tactile' than anything I'd ever experienced before then. The ground literally shook! Good times...…

Now however we have digital amplifiers and subwoofer drivers that are light years more advanced than back then. We go to concerts every year, sometimes 8~10, mostly at amphitheaters. The bass they can generate these days, versus back then is a different animal for sure. It's amazing the pressure levels they are able to maintain in the subsonic range, over HUGE areas, with a smaller driver array than they'd ever have even thought about in the past.
    Literally making the hair on your arms and legs shake as the sound waves pass between you and the person(s) next to you with ZERO distortion!
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

20. Member
    You guys have described and experience that I could only dream about. Sounds like those moments in life that you will hold all your days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast